Author Topic: How much longer can the team endure this level of performance without imploding?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Hearing some chatter about tanking and stuff like that.  TBH, I feel like we’re stuck on the treadmill, so getting higher picks may be the only chance to improve/become a contender.  But judging how this is wearing on the fans, you can only imagine what’s it’s doing to the players.

I’m not sure the guys, and you know who I’m talking about, can endure two more years of this without asking out.  And I don’t see how we get out of this any sooner than that.  Well frankly, I don’t see how we get out of this at all.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Regarding Tatum and Brown, it's their team, it's on them. Those two and Smart have been the only constants during this whole period of mediocrity and disappointment. There's nobody else to blame. If they want to run away from their own mess, fine, but it won't suddenly make them champions somewhere else unless they want to be the wing guys to other players.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
To answer your question: probably until the trade deadline. Brad needs to make a trade or two just to shake up this mix of players. It's not working and it's making even the most dedicated of fans question why they waste their time and money with this team.

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
To answer your question: probably until the trade deadline. Brad needs to make a trade or two just to shake up this mix of players. It's not working and it's making even the most dedicated of fans question why they waste their time and money with this team.

I seriously doubt this. “Shaking up” the team means trading a major player, I.e. Tatum, Brown, or Williams. I don’t buy that Stevens has the stones to do that before summer of 2023, when it will likely be too late to rescue the mindshare of Tatum to stay.

I don’t think trading Smart counts as a shake up — not that I think Stevens will even do that. The Celtics have become too conservative, too scared of their own shadow of two young stars. It’s going to get worse before it gets better.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I seriously doubt this. “Shaking up” the team means trading a major player, I.e. Tatum, Brown, or Williams. I don’t buy that Stevens has the stones to do that before summer of 2023, when it will likely be too late to rescue the mindshare of Tatum to stay.

I don’t think trading Smart counts as a shake up — not that I think Stevens will even do that. The Celtics have become too conservative, too scared of their own shadow of two young stars. It’s going to get worse before it gets better.
I agree.  I’ve seen many posts here and other places calling for blowing it up but that doesn’t include the jays.  Well, that’s not blowing it up.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If this team is locked into 40-49 win type teams for next 18 months, Tatum and Jaylen are going to question whether staying here is the right option for them or not. And rightly so.

This team needs to make a major push to improve in next 18 months. That means putting our admittedly limited trade assets all together and going after whatever out of favour star talent we can get our hands on in order to make a Big 3 or Big 4 type team.

Online Who

• James Naismith
End of next season is the breaking point.

Heck, maybe trade deadline next year if we are unlucky but most likely the summer or ensuing season. So that summer and either putting together a title contender or failing to put together a title contender will have a massive influence in whether Tatum and/or Jaylen start looking for the exit sign to leave and join a new team.

Online Who

• James Naismith
I worry that Stevens is too patient. I really do. I don't think he understands the urgency of the situation this team is in. He doesn't have 5-8 years to build around Tatum and Jaylen. He has 18 months (12-24 months).

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I’ve called my shot.  If this team still can’t crack .500 by the end of this season, I want to hit the button.  Sell everything that isn’t bolted down.

I’m not interested in waiting around until I hear trade demands to act.  And honestly, I feel like making panic trades to pacify stars who can’t get it done is a great way for a franchise to make long-term mistakes that cripple them for years. 

I want these guys to succeed, but at some point we need to see something to believe in.  .500 is not even a high bar.  Exceed it, or turn the page.