Author Topic: Embiid: Defending Celtics' ISO offense is "easy"  (Read 3636 times)

Embiid: Defending Celtics' ISO offense is "easy"
« on: January 15, 2022, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Form last night's debacle, Embiid contrasted the difficulty of defending the ball movement offense of the Charlotte Hornets (led by Gordon Hayward, I might add, if you look up his box score from that game) and the ISO heavy offense of the Boston Celtics.

“Charlotte, they move the ball extremely well and they have shooters all over the place, and they made a bunch of jump shots,” Embiid said, via Sixers reporter Derek Brodner. “Boston is more of an iso heavy team, so it becomes easier to load up and try to stop them.”

As someone from Reddit noted, you know how bad it has gotten when a notorious troller like Embiid gives friendly advice to the Celtics on how to run their offense better.

Re: Embiid: Defending Celtics' ISO offense is "easy"
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:19:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
When Ime took over, he stressed at his press conference that he wanted better ball movement and took a friendly shot at Brad. He said ball movement and defense were going to be his focus for this team. What happened to all that?

I get that we may not have the shooters that some other teams have, but he knew that when he took over, and he doesn't help that by playing Horford, Rob and Smart together with Tatum and Brown. Use the shooters that we have. Play Grant Williams, Pritchard and Nesmith/Hauser more.

I think he's doing what he needs to do to get Tatum and Brown to mature as playmakers, and there are growing pains, but you got to put some shooting on the floor with them if you want positive reinforcement.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 01:30:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Truer words ...

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
When Ime took over, he stressed at his press conference that he wanted better ball movement and took a friendly shot at Brad. He said ball movement and defense were going to be his focus for this team. What happened to all that?

I get that we may not have the shooters that some other teams have, but he knew that when he took over, and he doesn't help that by playing Horford, Rob and Smart together with Tatum and Brown. Use the shooters that we have. Play Grant Williams, Pritchard and Nesmith/Hauser more.

I think he's doing what he needs to do to get Tatum and Brown to mature as playmakers, and there are growing pains, but you got to put some shooting on the floor with them if you want positive reinforcement.
All the ball movement in the world won’t matter if the ball ends up in the hands of players who can’t shoot. Cs literally have no shooters. They need to surround the Jays with some shooters come trade deadline.

Also, Hayward leaving was such a devastating loss for the Cs. He’s literally the player the need right now. Swing player that can handle the ball and initiate offense and can shoot the 3. Cs must regret no maxing him out.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 02:42:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s a troll, but he’s not wrong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 03:00:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
He’s a troll, but he’s not wrong.

I don't think he is even trolling with that comment at all.  It is just a true comment.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

All the ball movement in the world won’t matter if the ball ends up in the hands of players who can’t shoot. Cs literally have no shooters. They need to surround the Jays with some shooters come trade deadline.

Also, Hayward leaving was such a devastating loss for the Cs. He’s literally the player the need right now. Swing player that can handle the ball and initiate offense and can shoot the 3. Cs must regret no maxing him out.
It's interesting, we went from being 11th in team 3 point percentage last season (37.2) to 24th this season (33.9). I would like to see more of our players with shooting ability (PP, Grant).

Horford and Tatum forgetting how to shoot + Smart continuing his downward trend in that regard is certainly not helping. 28%, 33% and 30% respectively.

Hayward is, of course, atypically healthy this season despite seemingly every Celtic having to miss time for one thing or another.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 04:25:44 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Exactly this.  The team's identity should be defense first, and then on offense they should spread it out for shooters...(as you mention, Hauser/Nesmith/Pritchard, not to mention Tatum and Brown).  Then they can start to play the right way at least on offense...and even if they miss a lot and don't win any more than now, at least they are playing the right way and setting a hopeful foundation for the future...

Doing this will also help Brad determine whether he can keep both Jays or if one needs to be traded (so if the system above is not workable with both Jays (due to iso tendency, poor passing or unwilling passing, then one absolutely has to go). 

Meanwhile, try to add more and better shooters.  Along with a PG who can help open things up. 

And also meanwhile...make defense the team's #1 identity marker (the first thing the other team thinks about when facing the Celtics...as in "how are we gonna handle that awesome defense they play").

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

It's interesting, we went from being 11th in team 3 point percentage last season (37.2) to 24th this season (33.9). I would like to see more of our players with shooting ability (PP, Grant).

Horford and Tatum forgetting how to shoot + Smart continuing his downward trend in that regard is certainly not helping. 28%, 33% and 30% respectively.

Hayward is, of course, atypically healthy this season despite seemingly every Celtic having to miss time for one thing or another.

Grant (41% from 3pt) and Richardson(40% from 3pt) should probably be getting more than 3 attempts each per game, especially considering the minutes they are playing. Smart, Horford, and Schroder are accounting for 13 attempts from deep per game. That’s on the coach, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 05:10:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's absolutely correct.  Also, the Celtics were not constructed to play like the Hornets.  If you want to move the ball, play quickly, and stress out the opposing defense ... you need quickness, you need shooting, and you need guys who can pass.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 06:19:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Grant (41% from 3pt) and Richardson(40% from 3pt) should probably be getting more than 3 attempts each per game, especially considering the minutes they are playing. Smart, Horford, and Schroder are accounting for 13 attempts from deep per game. That’s on the coach, though.
Yup! The shot distribution is wacky

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 06:59:29 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Shoot, have it at Embiid. This team's offense is embarrassing

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 07:09:57 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
You think Embiid is open to coaching the Celtics on the side?

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 07:56:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
You think Embiid is open to coaching the Celtics on the side?
Only if it's in the old school player-coach role

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 08:06:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not saying Embiid is wrong, he isn't.

But I'm not sure Embiid should be so critical of other team's offenses when the one centered around him taking his team to a title hasn't gotten the Sixers past the 2nd round of the playoffs the last 4 years.