Poll

Who would you prefer moving forward with?

Smart
Schroder

Author Topic: Smart vs Schroder  (Read 4994 times)

Re: Smart vs Schroder
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
If you had to choose between the two, who would prefer moving forward with?

Love Smarts hustle and defense, really versatile player that can guard 3 positions. Has a tendency to make big plays in crunch time.  He is limited offensively and not a true PG. 3pt shooting can be an issue.

Schroder is mediocre defensively and can’t guard multiple positions, but he’s a better scorer and more of a natural PG. Dennis seems to play better as a starter vs coming off the bench and the offensive flow is different with him running the point.

I’m struggling to decide, so I’m curious what you all think.

It doesn't matter, it Schroder wants more than 6 million a year there's no realistic path for him to return.

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
this is a no brainer, but I think in all likelihood both guys are going to be traded sooner or later
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
this is a no brainer, but I think in all likelihood both guys are going to be traded sooner or later

Is it a no brainer? So far the results are 58% Smart to 42% Schroder. You think the C’s are going to trade 2 of the teams 3 point guards? I suppose it could happen, but I’m not seeing many viable  replacements out there.

Also, to those saying Schroder is gone for sure, no one ever thought the C’s would be able to sign him in the first place. Not sure he makes sense as a starting PG for the few teams out there that will have Cap space. Same problem he ran into this past offseason.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2022, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

I m also hoping Brad can spring a miracle use  these guys or others to sign a better point guard .  Not thinking this season , but maybe next

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2022, 08:08:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Is it a no brainer? So far the results are 58% Smart to 42% Schroder. You think the C’s are going to trade 2 of the teams 3 point guards? I suppose it could happen, but I’m not seeing many viable  replacements out there.

Also, to those saying Schroder is gone for sure, no one ever thought the C’s would be able to sign him in the first place. Not sure he makes sense as a starting PG for the few teams out there that will have Cap space. Same problem he ran into this past offseason.

Schroder is bad

Smart does some things well

it's a no brainer
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2022, 08:58:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Schroder is bad

it's a no brainer
It is curious that everyone thinks Schroder is going to get paid next summer even though his numbers are pretty much the same as they were last year. The league is still lousy with pg's. Who's the team that didn't want Schroder last summer that's suddenly going to spring for him this summer?

Also, the answer to the question is: Smart.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2022, 09:31:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Schroder is bad

it's a no brainer
It is curious that everyone thinks Schroder is going to get paid next summer even though his numbers are pretty much the same as they were last year. The league is still lousy with pg's. Who's the team that didn't want Schroder last summer that's suddenly going to spring for him this summer?

Also, the answer to the question is: Smart.

Yeah, Schroder hasn't had that rebound year he needed to prove himself as a high contract player. The MLE looks a fair price for him.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2022, 10:10:39 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I wonder how many votes would change after tonight’s game.

Schroder is not a good fit for the Cs. Holds the ball too long. Despite the really fun, memorable drives, those are balanced by poor shooting and worse decision making most of the time. The stats are clear: he’s a below-average scorer, below average as an assist man, commits too many turnovers. Watch him: he just makes bad decisions with and off the ball. He’s a minus defender.

The other night his 3s fell. Doesn’t happen nearly often enough.

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2022, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I wonder how many votes would change after tonight’s game.

Schroder is not a good fit for the Cs. Holds the ball too long. Despite the really fun, memorable drives, those are balanced by poor shooting and worse decision making most of the time. The stats are clear: he’s a below-average scorer, below average as an assist man, commits too many turnovers. Watch him: he just makes bad decisions with and off the ball. He’s a minus defender.

The other night his 3s fell. Doesn’t happen nearly often enough.

In a word: bad
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 01:59:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Schroder is a better PG but the better player is Smart. Offense aside, Smart is one of the best defensive players in the league imo. My fave aspect of his defense isn’t that he’s a strong individual defender or a switchable one, but it’s that he’s one of the few who can see a play unfolding before it happens (at least on the defensive side). CP3 and Draymond are two other names that come to mind in terms of players who can sniff out what the other team is running and blow it up before it happens. Guys like Gobert (or even TL) are amazing because they’re physically dominant and their timing is elite but Smart’s got a special knack for reading which is hard to teach.

One of my top-of-mind examples is that Raptors game 3, where Anunoby saves the Raps season. When action started, Anunoby cut baseline and JT was about to follow, but Smart motions for him not to. Sure enough, FVV makes the next cut and this blows up the Raptors first option of getting something going to the basket because (guess what) Tatum is in the right position to stop FVV. Siakam then flashes high forcing Smart to pick him up and at this point, Smart is already yelling at Brown and pointing to the corner as if to say “that’s where the shot’s gonna come from”. I’m not sure Brown hears him though because JB waits until the pass sails over his head before making a move. Anunoby makes a clean catch and sinks a miraculous shot over the (still-good) contest of JB. Sure the shot went in but man, Smart had that scouted all the way

- LilRip

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Smart is not a point guard. He’s a shooting guard who can’t shoot.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Can you add a none of the above option?

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 09:36:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don’t think it’s an accident this comes up after last night’s game.

Schroder scored last night and people are feeling good about him again. But the reason he scored was that he hit his 3s - he went 4-5. Of course, Smart has nights like that too, but nobody’s fooled into thinking MS is a reliable 3-point shooter.  DS is just a tick better than Smart from 3; he had one of those games. I’m glad for it but it doesn’t tell me who he is as a player.

What about the rest of his game? Not great. I see people writing he makes the offense go. He had 3 assists and two turnovers. For a point guard, that is very bad. There wasn’t anything else special about his decisionmaking, and he made a bunch of bad plays especially in the 2d quarter. Missing cuts and cutting into the wrong area. The Js had it last night, and the guys who helped them most were Al and Rob.

Bottom line, if someone can show us the splits when he plays with the starters minus Smart and they look good I would have to take another look, but from where I sit he’s makes the team offense bad, is a minus defender, and he can’t be gone soon enough.

So time to flick Schroder now after his one point effort I guess?  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 10:24:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Schroder is bad

it's a no brainer

Schroder does some things better than Smart.

It's not a no brainer.  But I would prefer keeping Smart. And also agree that both will get traded.

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Schroder is bad

it's a no brainer

Schroder does some things better than Smart.

It's not a no brainer.  But I would prefer keeping Smart. And also agree that both will get traded.

Schroder is this tricky kind of player who *looks* better than he is.  He's quick and gets to the rim.  He can kinda handle the ball.  He can beat guys off the dribble.

But the thing is he's not actually particularly *good* at anything. And he's below average in a lot of areas.  Especially in terms of shooting, which is a problem because he takes a lot of shots.  Also he's got the ball a lot and tries to make passes but he's *really, really not a good passer* which means he causes a lot of turnovers. Even when he doesn't cause a turnover, he makes passes that aren't quite on the money, so an open player takes a second longer to get right when catching the ball.  Schroder turns open shots into not-open shots.

He also kinda looks like a decent defender because he gets steals, yet he's so slight that he gets picked on regularly by bigger players or gets killed by screens.

So he's good enough to seem like he should get minutes. And he has the ball a lot. But "Dennis Schroder does a thing" is usually not a very good outcome for a possession.  Yet when he's on the floor, a lot of possessions end that way.

Schroder is ... bad.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:24:25 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain