Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82242 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2021, 01:22:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Brad has given Ime his vote of confidence and support despite the team's travails. His comments, along with Brad's deliberative nature, suggest that Ime will be here for some period of time at least.

Stevens left Butler University and was hired as Celtics coach in 2013, and he said that by March of his first season the travel, roster turnover, and, frankly, the losing had left him feeling “gassed” and “cooked.”

But for Udoka, who played in the NBA and served as an assistant coach for nearly a decade, the rhythms of NBA life did not require as much of an adjustment. Still, his first season holding a top job has been filled with unprecedented challenges created by the pandemic.

“I have a lot of admiration for him,” Stevens said. “He’s seen a lot in his first 35 games as a head coach, right? He’s seen the wild swings of ups and downs and has every right to be super-emotional and riding the roller coaster and all that, and he’s pretty darn even. He’s always going back to work. So whether we win or lose, he just goes back to work the next day and tries to help this team get a little bit better. It is not easy.

“He’s a guy I believe in. I just think it’s so important not to get into celebrating your success or bemoaning your losses. It’s about, go find solutions. And he does that. He’s constantly searching, constantly thinking.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/30/sports/brad-stevens-says-celtics-have-had-moments-theyve-been-too-few-far-between/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2021, 02:14:53 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Too many players not moving on offense-gotta be on the coach, right?...I'd take D'Antoni right about now.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2021, 04:34:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Brad has given Ime his vote of confidence and support despite the team's travails. His comments, along with Brad's deliberative nature, suggest that Ime will be here for some period of time at least.

Stevens left Butler University and was hired as Celtics coach in 2013, and he said that by March of his first season the travel, roster turnover, and, frankly, the losing had left him feeling “gassed” and “cooked.”

But for Udoka, who played in the NBA and served as an assistant coach for nearly a decade, the rhythms of NBA life did not require as much of an adjustment. Still, his first season holding a top job has been filled with unprecedented challenges created by the pandemic.

“I have a lot of admiration for him,” Stevens said. “He’s seen a lot in his first 35 games as a head coach, right? He’s seen the wild swings of ups and downs and has every right to be super-emotional and riding the roller coaster and all that, and he’s pretty darn even. He’s always going back to work. So whether we win or lose, he just goes back to work the next day and tries to help this team get a little bit better. It is not easy.

“He’s a guy I believe in. I just think it’s so important not to get into celebrating your success or bemoaning your losses. It’s about, go find solutions. And he does that. He’s constantly searching, constantly thinking.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/30/sports/brad-stevens-says-celtics-have-had-moments-theyve-been-too-few-far-between/
He needs to go too, he's one of the two Pitino facsimiles we have in the club right now. Seeing him clutching at the greasy straws of the vibe man not getting emotional at doing a terrible job as a reason to keep him around is hilarious and depressing at the same time. At least I'm looking forward to the excuses he'll make for his fellow carbon copy of Pitino once we finish the season as a lottery team :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:40:54 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2021, 07:34:35 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Too many players not moving on offense-gotta be on the coach, right?...I'd take D'Antoni right about now.

Don't they pretty much just stand around and shoot as well

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2022, 10:02:59 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Stevens should have handled this differently.  There were certain expectations of this team at the beginning of the year that the Cs would compete for at least a top 4 spot in the Eastern Conference. 

It is difficult to expect a rookie coach, no matter the background, to live up to those expectations.  I think Stevens should have hired an "Assistant Head Coach" with significant NBA head coaching experience to help Udoka.

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I think Stevens should have handled this differently.  There were certain expectations of this team at the beginning of the year that the Cs would compete for at least a top 4 spot in the Eastern Conference. 

It is difficult to expect a rookie coach, no matter the background, to live up to those expectations.  I think Stevens should have hired an "Assistant Head Coach" with significant NBA head coaching experience to help Udoka.

By whom? Certainly not by the (so called) experts, such as the ESPN bigknobs, who all rated us as no hopers to win the ECF, and in fact voted us our of the top 4. Their preseason Power Rankings had us sitting at No13.

But what do these people know  :angel: Now if you meant us fans on CelticsStrong, yes a lot of people thought we would do better than what the experts did, mainly on the basis of our strong preseason. Here's the thread liam started on what people thought our chances would be, before the start of the season.

All that said, I definitely agree with you that hiring an assistant with more experience would probably have helped. I guess the concern was that that assistant might cut the legs out from under Ime. You really need to find a mentoring type for that role, as opposed to someone aiming for the top job eventually.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2022, 11:34:50 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I find it very hard to believe Ime is going anywhere for quite sometime. The Celtics have NEVER built up a new coach so much as Udoka before he started, as Bob Ryan pointed out in last Sunday’s Globe.

They’re going to give him lots of runway to get comfortable.

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2022, 12:49:55 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

By whom? Certainly not by the (so called) experts, such as the ESPN bigknobs, who all rated us as no hopers to win the ECF, and in fact voted us our of the top 4. Their preseason Power Rankings had us sitting at No13.

But what do these people know  :angel: Now if you meant us fans on CelticsStrong, yes a lot of people thought we would do better than what the experts did, mainly on the basis of our strong preseason. Here's the thread liam started on what people thought our chances would be, before the start of the season.

All that said, I definitely agree with you that hiring an assistant with more experience would probably have helped. I guess the concern was that that assistant might cut the legs out from under Ime. You really need to find a mentoring type for that role, as opposed to someone aiming for the top job eventually.

By Zack Buckley from Bleacher Report, for one:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949369-celtics-complete-2021-22-season-preview-and-predictions

Buckley believed that the Cs had the potential for finishing in the top three in the ECF.

As for your point regarding mentoring, I would propose hiring Steve Clifford.  Clifford is also a former Spurs coach with head coaching experience.  He wasn't a great coach but he was OK.

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2022, 02:07:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
2 games below .500again!!!

Any blame for Uchoka?

« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2022, 07:07:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
At this point ,  unless he was like 2-38 he is going to get a fair run at the job .  Means at least 1 1/2 years min. Or two seasons at least

So for now might as well deal with him as coach , let it play out ,  and let Stevens figure it all out .

Brad was the master of a one play set , so he is going to look terrible.

« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2022, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
It’s Covid!

It’s some random player having a career night!

It’s injuries!

It’s back to backs!

It’s the schedule!

It’s Brad!

It’s Danny!

It’s bad luck!

Enough with the excuses.

Anybody see Perk pre-game?

He said Ime needs to be held accountable by Brad.

Perk likened Ime to a parent who has lost control of his kids. “ You give them too much rope and they play with you all the time. He has to draw the line [with the players][

He said the team is too talented for this record and 4th quarter collapses.

He said Ime needs to take ownership of the lack of accountability.

He said “why do they have so. Much freedom?you watch them play and there are certain plays throughout the course of the game, whether they win or lose, you be like what the hell you doin’ , what was you thinking’ , why did you try this?, and when you watch them play and they play in that type of fashion and they are so inconsistent, you have to hold a Ime Udoka accountable”, not for his Xs and Os ( Udoka is bad with Xs and Os too) but of his actually demanding his respect and demanding to hold them accountable on a night to night basis. And that’s the hard part about being a young coach in this league. You come in and want to be a players coach, but all of a sudden, like your kid, you give them too m7ch rope and they gonna play with you all the time….he HAS to draw the line! And you will see better results”

« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2022, 10:25:27 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I think I’m finally coming around to this. It’s a shame, as he seems like a good guy, but same thing game after game. Same excuses after every game.  He doesn’t make adjustments, or run any plays, and his rotations are awful.

He talks about the team needing leadership? Isn’t that kind of the coaches job?

I wasn’t impressed with Brad, but I’d take him back tomorrow.

« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2022, 10:43:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
TP for your honesty, celts55.

I really wish that i wasn't right about this, but Perk is right and Brad has to hold ime responsible.

Tough for first year GM to admit his mistake and hiring his first coach, but for the good of the organization, he hast to do it.

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2022, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline Mahk E Mahk

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 273
we have several young, over-hyped “stars” who experienced quite a bit of success very early in their careers. they now seem to be convinced they’re entitled to success and don’t need to work for it every night. they essentially quit on their previous coach and clearly tuned him out when they began believing the hype about themselves.

so, the answer was to allow these entitled brats to select their next coach? gee, what could go wrong?

the c’s biggest problem is that the adults are afraid of the kids and are allowing them to run amuck. the lack of discipline in this once proud organization is disgusting; red is certainly turning in his grave.

« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2022, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1668
I really think a behind doors team meeting is the solution to ALL of the Celtics problems. Maybe have a couple of the players raise their voice a little higher to stress their points a little more. Maybe stand on a chair when speaking.  Wave a towel frantically. Drop some really nasty vulgarity when talking. Flip over the laundry bin. Bring in Lucky the mascot and slap him around a bit.