Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 83336 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2022, 11:09:07 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think you need to try changing the coach before you break up the Jays. But in his defense, he has a lousy roster and he can't shoot the ball for Tatum.
It's like cutting into space to punish defences for sagging off of you isn't a thing in basketball ::)

I've seen countless posts trying to take bullets for the vibe man and Brad Pitino by saying that this roster can't shoot threes, but I've seen no attempt to make defences pay by actually moving into the paint with timely cuts that can't be easily walled off by plain numbers.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2022, 11:25:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I think you need to try changing the coach before you break up the Jays. But in his defense, he has a lousy roster and he can't shoot the ball for Tatum.
It's like cutting into space to punish defences for sagging off of you isn't a thing in basketball ::)

I've seen countless posts trying to take bullets for the vibe man and Brad Pitino by saying that this roster can't shoot threes, but I've seen no attempt to make defences pay by actually moving into the paint with timely cuts that can't be easily walled off by plain numbers.

The roster is fine. It’s the coaches job to make the pieces work together and he is unable to do so. Bulls are a half a game out of first in the East. They have the best 3pt shooting percentage In the league and they take the least amount of 3’s out of any team in the NBA. You don’t need to jack up 40 shots from 3pt a game to win. Having a “live and die by the 3” offense has not worked for the C’s all year, yet they keep going to this strategy over and over again.

Defensively, the C’s are OK. We are like a football team that has a defensive coordinator, but not an offensive coordinator. Offensively, the team looks like a bunch of guys playing pickup. Udoka is Setting the players up to fail.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:55:55 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I had high hopes for Ime, but honestly, 50 games in, I still wonder if these guys ever played together or have any actual plays when I watch them.

« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2022, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Everything was going so well til we hit that 7 minute scoreless stretch. That’s the part I really don’t understand. Perhaps he sat JB for a little to long that he tried to “get his” by the time he was placed back in. JT i believe played then whole 4th? He had 7 assists with around 4 mins left but everything went downhill. The offense stagnated, the guys started to go back to one on one plays. Ime wasn’t able to adjust. We didn’t go back to what was working earlier. Ime had no adjustments. As much as JT and JB choked, I still feel it’s the coach’s job to put them in the right scoring situation. Unfortunately they settled for long jumpers.

« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2022, 12:18:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

The roster is fine. It’s the coaches job to make the pieces work together and he is unable to do so. Bulls are a half a game out of first in the East. They have the best 3pt shooting percentage In the league and they take the least amount of 3’s out of any team in the NBA. You don’t need to jack up 40 shots from 3pt a game to win. Having a “live and die by the 3” offense has not worked for the C’s all year, yet they keep going to this strategy over and over again.

Defensively, the C’s are OK. We are like a football team that has a defensive coordinator, but not an offensive coordinator. Offensively, the team looks like a bunch of guys playing pickup. Udoka is Setting the players up to fail.
Merely okay though - if our coach is doing an average job on defence while being completely woeful on offence he should be fired.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2022, 12:27:47 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Merely okay though - if our coach is doing an average job on defence while being completely woeful on offence he should be fired.

When I said defensively, they are OK, I meant that they are fine on that end. Better than fine most games, as they are currently the 8th best defense in the NBA. Unfortunately, Udoka is completely incompetent offensively, though.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2022, 06:46:12 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

When I said defensively, they are OK, I meant that they are fine on that end. Better than fine most games, as they are currently the 8th best defense in the NBA. Unfortunately, Udoka is completely incompetent offensively, though.

Last night was a recurring theme. Go up double-digits, go cold and slow on offense, and then let up monster runs - even to average or worse teams.  Last night Portland closed with a 20-5 run.   During these runs the Cs look like can’t stop anyone.  They give up on rebounds, they leave good shooters wide open.  Nurkic and their shooters feasted last night in the last 7 minutes. So if the Cs are ok defensively but then have significant lapses (btw the 4th quarter run wasn’t the only time the Cs had a solid lead and squandered it), then it doesn’t matter if they are the 8th best defensive team statistically, in real life when it matters they are awful. No  stat would change my mind on that.

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Last night was a recurring theme. Go up double-digits, go cold and slow on offense, and then let up monster runs - even to average or worse teams.  Last night Portland closed with a 20-5 run.   During these runs the Cs look like can’t stop anyone.  They give up on rebounds, they leave good shooters wide open.  Nurkic and their shooters feasted last night in the last 7 minutes. So if the Cs are ok defensively but then have significant lapses (btw the 4th quarter run wasn’t the only time the Cs had a solid lead and squandered it), then it doesn’t matter if they are the 8th best defensive team statistically, in real life when it matters they are awful. No  stat would change my mind on that.

It’s like other teams adjust on both ends in the second half,  but the C’s can’t or won’t. Feel like we are at a disadvantage from a coaching standpoint almost every game.

« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2022, 02:54:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I get that firing him mid-season is unrealistic, but there is no way he sees next season at this rate. He is clearly way out of his league
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I get that firing him mid-season is unrealistic, but there is no way he sees next season at this rate. He is clearly way out of his league

I still don’t understand how you can bring in a guy that has never been a head coach at any level when the C’s had been consistently making the playoffs over the last 3 or 4 years. How is that a good idea?  A rebuilding team I would understand.

« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I still don’t understand how you can bring in a guy that has never been a head coach at any level when the C’s had been consistently making the playoffs over the last 3 or 4 years. How is that a good idea?  A rebuilding team I would understand.
Over in the 'Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?' thread this point is sort of raised too. For me it comes down to the continued lack of an overarching direction. Cheap ownership + GM making inconsistent moves (dumping salary yet extending Smart and Richardson, hiring Udoka) has led to a very confused team.

« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2022, 05:05:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Over in the 'Why did we make the Kemba / Horford deal?' thread this point is sort of raised too. For me it comes down to the continued lack of an overarching direction. Cheap ownership + GM making inconsistent moves (dumping salary yet extending Smart and Richardson, hiring Udoka) has led to a very confused team.

Extending Richardson and Smart gives them flexibility for future trades, so that made sense. The Smart contract was an overpay of $3-5M/year but the Richardson deal was a good value, IMO.

The Udoka hire was just a huge gamble that is not working out. Glad he’s more relatable to the players, but the guy can’t coach an offense and he’s not showing any improvement. Really hoping we can get Mike D’Antoni in the off-season. The guy had a winning percentage of nearly 70% while in Houston for 4 years.

« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Extending Richardson and Smart gives them flexibility for future trades, so that made sense. The Smart contract was an overpay of $3-5M/year but the Richardson deal was a good value, IMO.

The Udoka hire was just a huge gamble that is not working out. Glad he’s more relatable to the players, but the guy can’t coach an offense and he’s not showing any improvement. Really hoping we can get Mike D’Antoni in the off-season. The guy had a winning percentage of nearly 70% in Houston.
In a vacuum, but given the cost of our manoeuvring to get the potential for max (or near max) space only to throw that away with those extensions confused me.

I'm also confused by why we didn't go for a stable known quantity as HC, instead of going for a newbie

« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2022, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

A lot of knew this was bad idea ,  but the do the right political thing pressure was deemed the over riding importance and won the day .  I felt this group needed a stronger voice , they were not listening to Stevens ….so Stevens hired a dumb version of himself .

« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

A lot of knew this was bad idea ,  but the do the right political thing pressure was deemed the over riding importance and won the day .  I felt this group needed a stronger voice , they were not listening to Stevens ….so Stevens hired a dumb version of himself .

That differs with my memory.  A few were naysayers but I think the selection was predominantly favored here. I also would say it's a reasonable assumption that there was a "political" factor if that means that players may have voiced wanting an African-American head coach. However, the assumption that this was the overriding component in the decision making process is no more than an assumption - could be right, could be wrong.  We weren't in Brad's/Wyc's heads and we don't know.  My assumption is that if there was someone they thought would be a better head coach for this team, they would have offered that person the job.