Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 83384 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I blamed Ime early in the season too. The lack of accountability and the players commenting team issues to the media is a stark contrast to Stevens. Ime hasn’t been good enough to mask the underlying issue. Coaching isn’t the main issue, but it can be a medium to address it (Nick Nurse!).

After reflecting, I remembered that this is a continuation, not from last season, but from the 2020 playoffs. This team had big leads on Miami only to wilt late several times and almost blew a series to an inferior, but well-coached and persistent Raptors squad.

It’s not an X’s and O’s issue, Brad’s excellent X’s and O’s only masked the underlying issue. This team is suffering from an execution issue that neither the players nor Stevens or Udoka have fixed.

The Bucks went from a 4-1 elimination to the Heat to signing Holiday, Portis, and Tucker, sweeping the Heat a season later, and winning the title. The Suns added CP3 and Crowder and took off. I’ve been saying it since the 2020 ECF, this team needed to add a floor general like CP3 (then on the Thunder) or Lowry or be patient while Tatum develops into one (he’s 23 and already showing strong signs of becoming one); not another poor defending scoring PG.

If there’s a clear better option (Nick Nurse!), let’s do it; otherwise, let the guys grow into it.

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2022, 05:10:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
https://twitter.com/MoDakhil_NBA/status/1479473604412592131?s=20

This isn't an Ime problem. This is a player problem.

It's the coaches job to bench the players who aren't doing what you want them to do.

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2022, 05:14:01 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

It's the coaches job to bench the players who aren't doing what you want them to do.
Smart doesn't even see him. Wow.

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2022, 05:17:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Smart doesn't even see him. Wow.

Any real point guard would see that especially one who's such a poor shooter.

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I'd agree with that if there was a better option on the bench to replace Smart.  Smart has value in a closing line up but not as a shooter.

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2022, 07:18:46 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

I'd agree with that if there was a better option on the bench to replace Smart.  Smart has value in a closing line up but not as a shooter.
JB was open. Ime should have told him to pass to him instead as they still had 5 seconds left in the clock.

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

We will never know if there are better options if they don't play. Mamukelashvili is getting time with the bucks. They are also playing a second round pick from 2020 in Nwora.

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2022, 08:20:30 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

We will never know if there are better options if they don't play. Mamukelashvili is getting time with the bucks. They are also playing a second round pick from 2020 in Nwora.

PP was playing well before getting covid. He may not be the long term replacement for point guard but i’d like to see what he can do with the line up almost at full strength. PP-Romeo-JB-JT-TL maybe?

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2022, 12:32:34 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

JB was open. Ime should have told him to pass to him instead as they still had 5 seconds left in the clock.

Ime doesn't have time to tell Smartacus to pass to JB in that instance, either Smartacus has the vision to see the open man, or he has the anticipation to know that JB was going to move up and Randle wasn't going to stay with him. It's a player vision and judgment issue. Smartacus is a confident guy, he probably thought he could nail the shot, and that's how he's always been. But he also needs to think that JB would probably have had a better chance to nail the shot.

I can't be too critical of him though...he has overpassed many times when he should have shot and ended up with a worse shot. But this is a clear example of not having enough vision or judgment.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2022, 12:48:10 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Ime has not changed his approach to coaching since opening night. He's approaching each game, as if it's game 7 of the Finals and running the starters into the ground. That philosophy does not work during the regular season, where you need to take a more long term approach and manage the players minutes and develop the young guys.

Running the starters into the ground indeed. The Celtics are 2nd in the league when it comes to minutes played by starters.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2022, 12:51:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Ime doesn't have time to tell Smartacus to pass to JB in that instance, either Smartacus has the vision to see the open man, or he has the anticipation to know that JB was going to move up and Randle wasn't going to stay with him. It's a player vision and judgment issue. Smartacus is a confident guy, he probably thought he could nail the shot, and that's how he's always been. But he also needs to think that JB would probably have had a better chance to nail the shot.

I can't be too critical of him though...he has overpassed many times when he should have shot and ended up with a worse shot. But this is a clear example of not having enough vision or judgment.

Yup, it’s a vision problem. Smart’s shot was still a great shot. The problem is he’s not a great shooter. I wasn’t mad at that possession: Tatum with the right read, Schroder with the extra pass, Smart with the wide open shot. Not to mention, Smart had drilled a few open threes before this too, off of similar action

I’m not a fan of Ime but this isn’t something to get up in arms about.

- LilRip

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2022, 10:48:18 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
We’re as close to full strength as one can get in the Covid NBA nowadays and we are at home playing a 15 and 25 Pacer team who isn’t even close to 100% and we almost lose???

And people on here still want to keep Uchoka?!?!?

I can’t watch the games so in fairness only read the gamethread.

Ime do anything redeemable?

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2022, 11:11:51 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
We’re as close to full strength as one can get in the Covid NBA nowadays and we are at home playing a 15 and 25 Pacer team who isn’t even close to 100% and we almost lose???

No. Nothing redeemable at all. He is confused and fighting way above his weight class.

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2022, 01:50:27 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

No. Nothing redeemable at all. He is confused and fighting way above his weight class.

TP….thanks for the update….hope his corner throws in the towel soon (just going with the same boxing metaphor) because he looks really punchy!

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2022, 07:33:30 AM »

Kiorrik

I'd only replace One with Rondo :')