Author Topic: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom  (Read 5849 times)

Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom
« on: November 28, 2021, 10:14:13 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1464974953351200768?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Boston Celtics center Enes Kanter is legally changing his name to Enes Kanter Freedom, @TheAthletic @Stadium learned. Kanter will be his middle name, Freedom is his new last name. He becomes a U.S. citizen on Monday.

LOL what the hell
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Enes Kanter Legally Changing His Name To Enes Kanter Freedom
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Dumbass

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He may have jumped the shark on this one a bit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
It may sound crazy, but Enes was disowned by his family years ago, and adopted the name Enes Gülen.  Becoming a US citizen, he can now officially change his name, and he’s chosen an English word that is very important to him.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/wnmy95/why-enes-kanter-has-a-new-name-and-why-his-family-disowned-him

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
No crazier than World B. Free I guess

It’s usually a Lakers player with all the political and environmental hippy agendas.

So …yeah kinda something new for Boston.

I m down with it.    Kinda goes along with our weird season.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Who cares? Live and let live. On the other hand, maybe he should change it to “pick-n-roll defense” as a gentle reminder of what keeps him glued to the bench. 

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 10:45:31 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It may sound crazy, but Enes was disowned by his family years ago, and adopted the name Enes Gülen.  Becoming a US citizen, he can now officially change his name, and he’s chosen an English word that is very important to him.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/wnmy95/why-enes-kanter-has-a-new-name-and-why-his-family-disowned-him

Yeah I mean I'm not trying to sound harsh here, it's obviously his choice and I respect it. But as much as I love Kanter I really don't know how you can view him as anything but a distraction for this team.

I agree with Popovich that it's nice to see Kanter standing up for certain issues. But then when you also have news outlets and Kanter implying his playing time is reduced because of his "speaking up on issues" and then the team starts playing him more right after, then I kind of feel he's becoming a distraction for the team. Not easy for a 1st year coach to deal with probably.

But whatever, as @SHAQATTACK said it kind of fits into this weird season lol

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
🧐
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL I'm reading Reddit and someone said that in theory if the C's ever traded or let go of Enes, the headline would read, "Celtics have parted ways with Freedom", "Celtics trade away Freedom for cash considerations", "Celtics Waive Freedom"  :laugh:

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I like the guy -- at least what I've heard from his mouth -- so I'm biased in his favor.   Hope the new name works for him.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 11:12:51 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah I mean I'm not trying to sound harsh here, it's obviously his choice and I respect it. But as much as I love Kanter I really don't know how you can view him as anything but a distraction for this team.

I agree with Popovich that it's nice to see Kanter standing up for certain issues. But then when you also have news outlets and Kanter implying his playing time is reduced because of his "speaking up on issues" and then the team starts playing him more right after, then I kind of feel he's becoming a distraction for the team. Not easy for a 1st year coach to deal with probably.

To be fair, his playing time increase also coincided with TL missing time. It was always assumed that Kanter would see plenty of minutes on this team due to Al's age and TL's injury history. And he's shown recently that he definitely deserves them.

As for the name change, I think very few of us know what it's like to be in his shoes. He's a cool guy and I have no problem with him speaking out, but do hope he can mostly do it without affecting the team as a whole.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 11:23:47 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Enes Freedom!!
Enes Freedom for 3!!

Ahahaha he joins Metta World Peace with a very unique name.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 01:08:03 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

He’s probably wanted to change it for quite a while now, but changing your name in the middle of an immigration process when it’s not as the result of a marriage is going to slow down that process.  Enes gets to become a citizen this week, something he’s been trying to do for a long time, and the name change is part of that process for him.  It’s purely coincidental that it’s occurring in the middle of this or any season.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I love Kanter, but that might be worse than Metta World Peace.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Sad to see so many getting butt hurt over this.

Enes has literally been a man without a country the past few years because of his social activism against a Turkish despot. He has had to live with death threats and seen family members imprisoned. His family had to disown him for political reasons - to save their own lives.

Now he gets to become an American citizen. That should be celebrated! He’s worked hard for that. He’s earned it. If he wants his name to reflect the highest ideal of his adopted country, so be it!

If Ime has a problem dealing with media distractions then he needs to put on his big boy pants. I would bet that he’s not bothered by this and that he and the rest of the Celtics will be celebrating with Enes.