Poll

Who should Celts sign to the 15th (last) roster spot ?

Harry Giles
8 (27.6%)
Stanley Johnson
1 (3.4%)
Dante Exum
0 (0%)
Marquese Chriss
1 (3.4%)
Leave open for a buyout candidate
12 (41.4%)
Bring Jabari Parker back on min deal
4 (13.8%)
Leave it open so Owners can save on luxury tax
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Who should claim 15th (last) roster spot?  (Read 2772 times)

Who should claim 15th (last) roster spot?
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think most will pick Giles.   I am intrigued with Stanley Johnson, who was cut by Bulls.  He is very athletic, about 6'7" with 7' wingspan, could see him competing for some back up wing minutes.  I think our depth at center is decent.  Always can use another wing.

Who do you like?

Re: Who should claim 15th (last) roster spot?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We are five or six deep at wing.  I think we’re set there.

I’d leave the slot open for now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm a Giles guy, although Johnson is intriguing.  I went Giles for position, 4 or 5.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We are five or six deep at wing.  I think we’re set there.

I’d leave the slot open for now.

Yes, but "wing" covers 3 positions on the court, shooting guard, small forward and (in small ball lineup) power forward, so I think we could actually go for another guy at that position, particularly if he has decent length and athleticism.  This guy has failed several places, I'm not expecting miracles.  But I see your point about keeping it open.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 11:54:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Leave it open.   There is no one out there that fills a real need at the moment.   If there are injuries later, the team can temporarily fill it with 10 day contracts. 

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 12:08:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't get the Harry Giles love. If he stuck in LA, a team desperate for bigs, as a vet min player, he didn't they cut him, it would have been his 3rd team in 3 years.

There's a reason he was a 3 points/3 rebound in very limited minutes guy last year and was beat out for a Clipper roster spot by the immortal Isaac Hartenstein this year. 

He sucks. I don't care about his measurements. Quoting them is usually a sign of desperation in looking for something good to say about a bad player. I don't care about who his friend is. He sucks and should not be considered for a spot. He is worse than Jabari Parker who just got cut. He is probably worse than Hauser, our two-way guy. Why sign someone like that?

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Giles certainly seems to be a "person of interest".  He has done so little though.  He was on a non-guaranteed contract with LA Clipps so it doesn't seem it would take all that much of a contract to get him.  But it is hard to believe that we would cut Parker to get Giles.

I say just wait this out.  We don't really need that 15th player right now, just sitting on the end of the bench.  May as well wait it out.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Said it in a different thread, but I think it's worth repeating, so I will.  I think that should anyone be signed, it will be with a non-guaranteed contract, so that he can be cut when needed and only owed the pro-rated portion of his salary.  If TL isn't ready to go and Al's Covid recovery is extended, we could see a center for a week or two, for example.  The spot would generally be kept empty except to fortify depth if multiple players are out at the same position.  Either at the deadline via trade (be it 2-for-1, picking up someone with a TPE, etc.), or after the deadline during buyout season, the spot will be more permanently filled.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Avery Bradley

Smart is always a candidate to miss a chunk of regular season games. Also curry and green were reportedly upset the Warriors cut him. So he may have a little something left.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:39:41 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Leave open unless you find a switch 4/5/3 defender. Team needs a big that can switch on defense and not give up 5". A strong 6'8 or above.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 01:03:18 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
This looks like a transition year tbh. I’d rather owners save on the tax now to reset the repeater tax count, then push for something aggressive next offseason.

It seems like we’re a piece away (a #3 guy after Jaylen but better than an older Al) and I don’t know how FO can get that piece without having to break up the current depth. Maybe it can be Timelord but TL will need to take a huge step this year to set him up nicely for the ff year.
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 01:08:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I read the whole thread, and THEN voted for Jabari.  I don't know if his defense will ever improve but he looks good in all other facets of the game.  Perhaps against NBA backups he will be OK.  Kinda rooting for him, TBH.

EDIT:  Parker was cut.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:16:21 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'd guess they leave it open. Parker looks like a money move.
After Jabari's release I believe that Dennis Schröder is all that's needed to be moved to get under the tax.
I think if the rest of Jabari's contract was guaranteed it whould have taken Schröder + just a little bit more $.
I could be wrong because I thought that's what the Edwards deal did. Maybe the likely/unlikely incentives come into play.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I'd guess they leave it open. Parker looks like a money move.
After Jabari's release I believe that Dennis Schröder is all that's needed to be moved to get under the tax.
I think if the rest of Jabari's contract was guaranteed it whould have taken Schröder + just a little bit more $.
I could be wrong because I thought that's what the Edwards deal did. Maybe the likely/unlikely incentives come into play.

The C's are $4.65 million above the tax at this point, including likely incentives, but excluding unlikely incentives.  The key for whether they try to get under the tax or not will likely be Jaylen's incentive.  He'll get roughly $2 million for making the All-Star game (which he did last year, so it's included in the current tax calculations).  If Jaylen is healthy and makes the All-Star game, they'll continue to be a rotation-level contract above the tax.  But they'll also probably be a competitive team, and perhaps willing to pay the tax.  If Jaylen isn't healthy/misses the All-Star game, that probably means he didn't fully recover from his injury and/or the team's performance wasn't warranting of two All-Stars.  This would put them at about $2.7 million over the tax, which would be easier to get out from, and they'd also be more inclined to sell players (like a Schroder) to do so.

Hernangomez also has a smaller incentive (~$800k).  It's considered likely, although I can't find anything about how it's earned.  Most likely it's some sort of playing time threshold.  If he doesn't pan out, that's also a potential savings.  Depending how things pan out, it getting out from under the tax could be as simple as sending teams a little cash to take on Fernando and Kanter, and then signing their replacements to rest-of-season deals.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 01:59:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I guess Wyc and Steve Pagliuca have voted in the poll, otherwise I cannot explain why some Celtics fans care more about the owners' money than they do about the success of their favorite team.