Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 564770 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 08:49:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kevin Porter Jr played 29 mins and had 25 pts, 5ast, 4reb. Shot 9-16 from the field and 5-9 from 3pt. Best player on either team in tonight’s game.

So glad the C’s held on to Tacko, Waters, Edwards, And Green instead of giving him a shot. Well played.
That's what this team really needed. One of the worst teammates in the NBA

Guess his coach would disagree with you.

From last season:

“KP was good,” head coach Stephen Silas said after practice. “He played point; he pushed the ball up the floor in our scrimmage. He makes plays for others. He’s a willing learner. Great kid. Just enjoyable to be around. To have that fresh face in the group is exciting for me.”

“It’s a developmental thing,” Silas said of Porter’s outlook with the Rockets. “The game isn’t going to be as easy as it came for him in the G League. But I think he is prepared, over time, to excel. He has a lot of tools that we will explore and use. He’s going to be good for us.”

One coach out of his last three that hasn't kicked him off the team. Forgive me if I don't celebrate that.

He has Brandon Jennings and OJ Mayo written all over him to me.

Do you believe that the incidents that occurred when he was 19 or 20 years old define him? I like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and grow as they age, but maybe that’s just me.

Depends what the incidents are. Getting too drunk? Trying a drug? Maybe even getting in a bar fight? I wouldn’t really cast any judgement on anyone doing that at 20 as I did that when I was “immature” myself. Getting in a fight with women? Driving around with a loaded gun? Whatever he did to get a lengthy suspension at usc (usc is not exactly Princeton with their code of conduct). Not so sure those are as easy to dismiss.
whatever he did at USC wasn't bad enough for them not to take him back and let him finish the year as he did finish the year.  I'm sure the Cavs also did their research on that and felt ok with taking him in the 1st round.  Obviously he still has had some issues since he joined the NBA, but my position when he was available last year is that signing him had virtually no risk, but had the potential to really work out well.  It was one of those value things that just makes a lot of sense for a team in Boston's position to try because hitting a homerun with him could have altered the teams outlook. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2021, 02:36:59 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Luka is going to make Moses Brown look good.
Like when Rondo enabled Chris Wilcox to shoot 72% from the field in his final season (next best career mark was 60%)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2021, 06:15:49 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Like when Rondo enabled Chris Wilcox to shoot 72% from the field in his final season (next best career mark was 60%)
Chris Wilcox was fun to watch. Definitely a great contender for a “Let’s Remember Some Guys” discussion.

I didn’t realise he was in the league for a decade. Or that Boston was he last stop in the NBA.  Or that he quietly made more than 38 million in contracts in the league.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2021, 08:03:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Rather had Moses than TimeLord..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2021, 08:43:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
It just occurred to me that there is probably plenty to pros for a Kyrie Irving-Ben Simmons trade. Will the stakeholders involved go for it?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Why is that?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:17:18 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Chris Wilcox was fun to watch. Definitely a great contender for a “Let’s Remember Some Guys” discussion.

I didn’t realise he was in the league for a decade. Or that Boston was he last stop in the NBA.  Or that he quietly made more than 38 million in contracts in the league.
Those Celtics teams of the turn of the decade then were great for those guys. Nenad Krstic is an all time fave. Was looking like a really good player before getting injured. Out of the league at 27/28

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2021, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Ludicrous

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2021, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Kevin Porter Jr played 29 mins and had 25 pts, 5ast, 4reb. Shot 9-16 from the field and 5-9 from 3pt. Best player on either team in tonight’s game.

So glad the C’s held on to Tacko, Waters, Edwards, And Green instead of giving him a shot. Well played.
That's what this team really needed. One of the worst teammates in the NBA

Guess his coach would disagree with you.

From last season:

“KP was good,” head coach Stephen Silas said after practice. “He played point; he pushed the ball up the floor in our scrimmage. He makes plays for others. He’s a willing learner. Great kid. Just enjoyable to be around. To have that fresh face in the group is exciting for me.”

“It’s a developmental thing,” Silas said of Porter’s outlook with the Rockets. “The game isn’t going to be as easy as it came for him in the G League. But I think he is prepared, over time, to excel. He has a lot of tools that we will explore and use. He’s going to be good for us.”

One coach out of his last three that hasn't kicked him off the team. Forgive me if I don't celebrate that.

He has Brandon Jennings and OJ Mayo written all over him to me.

Do you believe that the incidents that occurred when he was 19 or 20 years old define him? I like to think that people can learn from their mistakes and grow as they age, but maybe that’s just me.

Depends what the incidents are. Getting too drunk? Trying a drug? Maybe even getting in a bar fight? I wouldn’t really cast any judgement on anyone doing that at 20 as I did that when I was “immature” myself. Getting in a fight with women? Driving around with a loaded gun? Whatever he did to get a lengthy suspension at usc (usc is not exactly Princeton with their code of conduct). Not so sure those are as easy to dismiss.
whatever he did at USC wasn't bad enough for them not to take him back and let him finish the year as he did finish the year.  I'm sure the Cavs also did their research on that and felt ok with taking him in the 1st round.  Obviously he still has had some issues since he joined the NBA, but my position when he was available last year is that signing him had virtually no risk, but had the potential to really work out well.  It was one of those value things that just makes a lot of sense for a team in Boston's position to try because hitting a homerun with him could have altered the teams outlook.

Driving around with a loaded gun is certainly something you have to give pause to bringing into your locker room. Also, using the fact that usc took him back or the Cavs drafted him as evidence he didn’t do anything terrible is pretty silly in an era where numerous players we later found out committed sexual assault in college were drafted. Also let’s not forget Hernandez was drafted by the Patriots after shooting a guy in the face (and obviously was a sociopath). For the sake of society I hope the guy is a good person that made some bad decisions. I’m never going to fault the Celtics or other teams for not wanting a guy over character decisions. Obviously a lot of the league felt the same way cause he was traded for a top 55 protected pick.

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Rockets aren't going to win a lot but they are going to be fun to watch!

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2021, 12:50:07 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Those Celtics teams of the turn of the decade then were great for those guys. Nenad Krstic is an all time fave. Was looking like a really good player before getting injured. Out of the league at 27/28

It should be noted that Krstic got lured to Russia because of the lockout, and not because he got injured and washed out of the league.  He was 1st Team All-Euroleague in 2012 and 2013, and Moscow was paying him NBA money (can’t find out how much at this point, but I remember him seeing him on the top paid players of Europe lists a decade ago, so probably something near the MLE, which was around $5 million at the time).

It’s a pity he left.  When we remember the Perk-Jeff Green trade, we forget that Krstic could have been a nice piece to support the Pierce-KG-Allen era.  Alas, the lockout messed that up.

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2021, 03:41:34 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
It just occurred to me that there is probably plenty to pros for a Kyrie Irving-Ben Simmons trade. Will the stakeholders involved go for it?
As long as Kyrie refuse the jab, I doubt trading him to Philly would change his stance.

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As long as Kyrie refuse the jab, I doubt trading him to Philly would change his stance.
but he doesn't need the jab to play in Philly at this point in time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
but he doesn't need the jab to play in Philly at this point in time.

That’s the key language.  If he’s willing to sit out on his team over this, why would you trade for him, knowing that it’s very possible your city creates a similar requirement at some point in the future?  Not to mention his prior proclamation that he’d retire if traded (which sounds like just a random threat, but if he’s willing to sit out over a shot, might be more true).

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It should be noted that Krstic got lured to Russia because of the lockout, and not because he got injured and washed out of the league.  He was 1st Team All-Euroleague in 2012 and 2013, and Moscow was paying him NBA money (can’t find out how much at this point, but I remember him seeing him on the top paid players of Europe lists a decade ago, so probably something near the MLE, which was around $5 million at the time).

It’s a pity he left.  When we remember the Perk-Jeff Green trade, we forget that Krstic could have been a nice piece to support the Pierce-KG-Allen era.  Alas, the lockout messed that up.
TP for reminding me of that. The lockout was such a strange time!

I always liked Krstic. He and Erden were fun, even if Erden was a dud