Author Topic: NBA Season 2021-22  (Read 562574 times)

Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2021, 01:29:45 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1472
Lakers imploding already. AD and Dwight getting into an awkward pushing/grabbing altercation at the bench.
At least we’re doing better than them
We shouldn't be aiming to just be better than a team that's probably going to be fighting for a play-in spot this season.

Well that is what we were last year, we were fighting to win the play in.  Have we really improved the team so much over where we were last year?  Maybe  a little bit.  More veterans on the bench.  Sometimes I think that a lot of us over-rate our team a bit (me included)  With the great potential of Tatum and Brown a lot of us raise our expectations to their best potential instead of where they are right now.  I mean I will watch and root either way.  But maybe we should wait until they start winning a lot of games before we think that they are a top 4 team in the east.  The 0-2 start is disappointing, especially the one at home to Toronto.  I guess we'll see what they are made of the 10-15 games or so.

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2021, 03:20:31 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Lakers got too many big heads & old players on that team..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2021, 05:48:37 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Huh, Myles Turner went for 40pts tonight.
Brogdon, Turner and Sabonis all played well but Indy still lost to Washington. Funny

Indiana just has no depth at all. It's probably going to keep them out of the playoffs yet again.
Despite their starting line-up being pretty good when everybody is healthy.

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1538
Huh, Myles Turner went for 40pts tonight.
Brogdon, Turner and Sabonis all played well but Indy still lost to Washington. Funny

Indiana just has no depth at all. It's probably going to keep them out of the playoffs yet again.
Despite their starting line-up being pretty good when everybody is healthy.
Warren will help them
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Lakers imploding already. AD and Dwight getting into an awkward pushing/grabbing altercation at the bench.
We shouldn't be aiming to just be better than a team that's probably going to be fighting for a play-in spot this season.

Well that is what we were last year, we were fighting to win the play in.  Have we really improved the team so much over where we were last year?  Maybe  a little bit.  More veterans on the bench.  Sometimes I think that a lot of us over-rate our team a bit (me included)  With the great potential of Tatum and Brown a lot of us raise our expectations to their best potential instead of where they are right now.  I mean I will watch and root either way.  But maybe we should wait until they start winning a lot of games before we think that they are a top 4 team in the east.  The 0-2 start is disappointing, especially the one at home to Toronto.  I guess we'll see what they are made of the 10-15 games or so.
Let's not pretend that we didn't underperform last season lol. I've been on record saying that this team is top 4-6 in the East on paper and I expect 'one of the best young coaches in the league' combined with 'going back to our defensive DNA' to get us to that level. Or is everything peddled by our club this offseason just drivel and vibes? :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2021, 11:44:03 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Let's not pretend that we didn't underperform last season lol. I've been on record saying that this team is top 4-6 in the East on paper and I expect 'one of the best young coaches in the league' combined with 'going back to our defensive DNA' to get us to that level. Or is everything peddled by our club this offseason just drivel and vibes? :laugh:

I guess I am one of those people who mostly think that you are what your record says,  especially over the course of a full season.  If you under perform for 70-80 games I think it just means that you aren't that good.  Again it comes down to perception and expectations, which are highly subjective.  It is too early to say what we are going to be this year. 

Ime has a lot of experience as an assistant, he isn't new to the nba, but that doesn't always transfer to games won or success as a head coach and the team.  After a couple regular season games, and seeing our roster in the preseason, I am just not seeing much improvement from last year.  We are going to struggle to score when JT/JB go cold (same as last year).  We don't seem to a very good def team (same as last year).  Hopefully the def improves because I don't see our team being able to put up a lot of points.

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2021, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I guess I am one of those people who mostly think that you are what your record says,  especially over the course of a full season.  If you under perform for 70-80 games I think it just means that you aren't that good.  Again it comes down to perception and expectations, which are highly subjective.  It is too early to say what we are going to be this year. 

Ime has a lot of experience as an assistant, he isn't new to the nba, but that doesn't always transfer to games won or success as a head coach and the team.  After a couple regular season games, and seeing our roster in the preseason, I am just not seeing much improvement from last year.  We are going to struggle to score when JT/JB go cold (same as last year).  We don't seem to a very good def team (same as last year).  Hopefully the def improves because I don't see our team being able to put up a lot of points.
I don't buy that at all, we had one of our best players grossly underutilised and hurt for the end of the season last year.

So if that experience doesn't transfer to winning games with us as the head coach of our team, why did we hire him in the first place when one of the better (best for some) coaches in NBA history was available (for anyone saying that he might have rejected us, we didn't even approach him lol), especially when the ownership and front office said that they're going to 'die trying' for banner 17? Or is it our club being poorly run and the people in charge are trying to lower our standards and expectations to keep them away from the hot seat (pressure from the fanbase for the owners of the club)? Because it's certainly looking that way to me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:54:05 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2021, 05:19:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

I don't buy that at all, we had one of our best players grossly underutilised and hurt for the end of the season last year.

So if that experience doesn't transfer to winning games with us as the head coach of our team, why did we hire him in the first place when one of the better (best for some) coaches in NBA history was available (for anyone saying that he might have rejected us, we didn't even approach him lol), especially when the ownership and front office said that they're going to 'die trying' for banner 17? Or is it our club being poorly run and the people in charge are trying to lower our standards and expectations to keep them away from the hot seat (pressure from the fanbase for the owners of the club)? Because it's certainly looking that way to me.

Well we were 34-31 after Jaylen was out for the year.  So we were a massive 3 games over 500 and already in the midst of the bottom of the playoff contenders.  I agree Jaylen going out hurt our playoff performances, but we were already not very good at that point.  We just weren't a very good team last year.  You can argue all you want that we underperformed, but we barely made the playoffs and then almost got swept by a Net team that was missing key players as well.

I don't even know what you are arguing about really?  I never said that Ime wouldn't learn and get better as he goes, I am just saying even the best coaching hires sometimes don't work out.  All I am saying is that we as fans might have some home team glasses when we look at our club.  I hope they improve, I don't want to watch this crap all year.  hahah

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2021, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Not liking Jason Kidd's early season starting lineup.

G: Tim Hardaway Jr
F: Luka Doncic
F: Finney Smith
C: Porzingis
C: Dwight Powell

It is too big, too slow defensively. It doesn't protect Luka. Luka needs another quick guard / wing next to him Tim Hardaway Jr to give Dallas matchup flexibility on defense.

Not convinced by Porzingis next to a rim runner either. He leaves him as a floor spreader too often on offense making him a peripheral figure. Same problem as last year. He is a low IQ guy. You gotta keep him involved and get him into better positions to be involved and score the basketball.

Finney-Smith, Porzingis and D.Powell give them three non-ball-handlers and non-passers. So even more pressure on Luka as the primary ball-handler. And selfish Timmy Hardaway as the only other ball-handler and passer (not even an average passing SG) as outlet for Luka. Allowing teams to focus in on Luka more and more with their defenses.

Looking like this will be yet another blemish on Kidd's resume and another wasted year of Luka's young career.

« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2021, 07:13:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not liking Jason Kidd's early season starting lineup.

G: Tim Hardaway Jr
F: Luka Doncic
F: Finney Smith
C: Porzingis
C: Dwight Powell

It is too big, too slow defensively. It doesn't protect Luka. Luka needs another quick guard / wing next to him Tim Hardaway Jr to give Dallas matchup flexibility on defense.

Not convinced by Porzingis next to a rim runner either. He leaves him as a floor spreader too often on offense making him a peripheral figure. Same problem as last year. He is a low IQ guy. You gotta keep him involved and get him into better positions to be involved and score the basketball.

Finney-Smith, Porzingis and D.Powell give them three non-ball-handlers and non-passers. So even more pressure on Luka as the primary ball-handler. And selfish Timmy Hardaway as the only other ball-handler and passer (not even an average passing SG) as outlet for Luka. Allowing teams to focus in on Luka more and more with their defenses.

Looking like this will be yet another blemish on Kidd's resume and another wasted year of Luka's young career.
Jalen Brunson should 100% be starting. My lineup for the Mavs would be Brunson-Doncic-Hardaway-DFS-Porzingis
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2021, 07:44:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1538

Well we were 34-31 after Jaylen was out for the year.  So we were a massive 3 games over 500 and already in the midst of the bottom of the playoff contenders.  I agree Jaylen going out hurt our playoff performances, but we were already not very good at that point.  We just weren't a very good team last year.  You can argue all you want that we underperformed, but we barely made the playoffs and then almost got swept by a Net team that was missing key players as well.

I don't even know what you are arguing about really?  I never said that Ime wouldn't learn and get better as he goes, I am just saying even the best coaching hires sometimes don't work out.  All I am saying is that we as fans might have some home team glasses when we look at our club.  I hope they improve, I don't want to watch this crap all year.  hahah
I don't think Boston underperformed as much as Boston had overperformed for years before last season and gave people unrealistic expectations of what Boston was as a team.  Plus, you can't keep having the roster and depth get worse season after season and it not effect the team.  The team has more depth this year then last year, so it should be better, but it isn't a world beater.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2021, 10:09:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Man, 28 shots from Tyler Herro tonight.

That is Kobe on a selfish streak! 28 shots, dang!

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2021, 10:41:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1427
Billups has the Blazers playing some good basketball. They are actually playing defense
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2021, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1427
Cade who? Jalen Green should have gone #1. Detroit is going to regret that decision.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2021, 09:42:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3166
Cade who? Jalen Green should have gone #1. Detroit is going to regret that decision.

Agreed. I thought and wrote before the draft. Cade is going to be really good but Green is special.