Author Topic: Rate the PGs as a group  (Read 3171 times)

Rate the PGs as a group
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:55:57 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 8.5 as a group.  Marcus can guard anyone but extremely quick guys. No problem, Schroder and Prichard can do that.   Nice balance defensively.

Marcus is a streaky shooter, Schroder is a scorer, and Prichard is a knock down shooter. Good balance here.

Schroder and Smart could avg 12 apg together with another 3apg for Prichard.  Great passing as a group.

I think Ime is going to love the options he has at PG this year,  all three will give maximum effort on defense.  Schroder is a phenomenal athlete,  and Smart and peyton are no slouches.

Who else has three good point guards.

Sacramento  Fox, Haliburton,  Davion

Bulls Lavine, Ball, Curruso,  Coby white Wow deep.

Who else?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:01:23 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Rate the PGs as a group
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:48:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
There are a lot of teams with players that can play PGs. Its probably the deepest position in the league. Just looking at all the other teams you didn't mention in the East.

Nets-Harden, Irving, Mills, Carter
Knicks- Kemba, Rose, Quickley
76ers- Simmons, Curry, Maxey, Milton
Bucks- Holiday, Hill, Divincenzo
Magic- Fultz*, Cole, Suggs, MCW, Hampton
Hornets- Ball, Rozier, Martin
Raptors- Vleet, Dragic, Flynn
Pacers- Brogdon, McConnell, Levert, Duarte
Cavs- Garland, Sexton, Rubio
Heat- Lowry, Herro, Oli, Butler
Pistons- Hayes, Cade, Lee
Hawks-Young, Wright, Lou, Mays, Cooper
Wizards- Din, Holiday, Beal

That's just East teams.

EDIT- I'd put C's in the middle of the East right now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:54:28 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Boston's PG's are below average.  It is a weak spot for the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
3 average guards

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 09:58:54 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
When you rate them you have to first look at what the team wants from them.

The players all have something to contribute and have some talent, but none of them individually fits that great.

To go to the next level, the team needs to be much more aggressive in transition and promote ball movement in the half court. And it needs better decision making under pressure, particularly in the 4th quarter.  None of those guys is even average at those things.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As other have said, this is not a very good group of PGs. Extremely average are the words that come to mind. Less so if Smart's defense is more like 2020-21 and less like 2018-19.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not worried about the PG position at all.  For some teams, the PG is the star or the #2, that is not the case for us.  We just need a good solid effort.

We have good depth at PG but not high level talent.  Schroder last season was 15.4 pts / 5.8 asst in 32 min which like others have said, is about middle of the road.  Smart was 13.1 pts / 5.7 asst in 33 min so about the same. Pritchard played almost 20 min also.

Smart and Schroder are both starter level PGs so the good news is that we can have one of these on the court at all times if we want.  Not good for Pritchard but good for the team.  Most teams end playing about 16 min with a back up.

There will be 15-18 teams that have an equal or better starting PG than us but for the 16 min that they play their back up, we should have an advantage.  That will help raise the rating overall to upper middle.

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I am not worried about the PG position at all.  For some teams, the PG is the star or the #2, that is not the case for us.  We just need a good solid effort.

We have good depth at PG but not high level talent.  Schroder last season was 15.4 pts / 5.8 asst in 32 min which like others have said, is about middle of the road.  Smart was 13.1 pts / 5.7 asst in 33 min so about the same. Pritchard played almost 20 min also.

Smart and Schroder are both starter level PGs so the good news is that we can have one of these on the court at all times if we want.  Not good for Pritchard but good for the team.  Most teams end playing about 16 min with a back up.

There will be 15-18 teams that have an equal or better starting PG than us but for the 16 min that they play their back up, we should have an advantage.  That will help raise the rating overall to upper middle.

TP Vermont. Pretty negative rating from the board so far. If Prichard raises his game a little more he's a starting level PG as well albeit one of the lower tier ones.

My point is Udoka can play the hot hand or the situation with these three guards. My only concern is Smart getting too many minutes.  The position will be a positive overall.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
As other have said, this is not a very good group of PGs. Extremely average are the words that come to mind. Less so if Smart's defense is more like 2020-21 and less like 2018-19.
agreed.  serviceable players but no studs.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd rate them as solid, but nothing special.  What's that rate out to, a 6.5?  7.0? 

If we could combine all three, that would be something, haha.  Pritchard's shooting, Marcus' passion + defense + passing, Schroder's attacking mentality
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:54:54 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Smart was just ranked the 60th best player in the NBA by Sports Illustrated for whatever that’s worth.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 05:00:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Smart was just ranked the 60th best player in the NBA by Sports Illustrated for whatever that’s worth.
worth a lot of motivation to those rated lower than him as a major snub.  30 teams.  60th best player would be the second best player on a team if the talent were spread evenly.  I can't see how he's legitimately ranked that high and I really like Marcus

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 09:21:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Smart is the only Celtic from 30-100, Brown will most likely be in the 20's and Tatum in the 10's.  I'll guess around 25 for Brown and 13 for Tatum.  They are releasing 11-30 tomorrow, so we will find out then.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 11:13:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
worth a lot of motivation to those rated lower than him as a major snub.  30 teams.  60th best player would be the second best player on a team if the talent were spread evenly.  I can't see how he's legitimately ranked that high and I really like Marcus

It’s preposterous.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 12:01:45 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I am not worried about the PG position at all.  For some teams, the PG is the star or the #2, that is not the case for us. We just need a good solid effort.

This is a fairly common sentiment but IMO just completely wrong.  Why do we people say we basically only need a bus driver at the PG or any other position?  This team lacks talent and more is definitely better.  I guess it stems from that silly notion that kemba was somehow holding back the Jays when indeed we needed his scoring.

Add to that that the Jays still below average playmakers in general and you get why having a blah PG rotation is indeed not a good thing.