Poll

Who's a better fit Lavine Or Beal

Zach Lavine
20 (60.6%)
Bradley Beal
13 (39.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Poll: Fantasy Beal or Lavine  (Read 2755 times)

Re: Poll: Fantasy Beal or Lavine
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 11:44:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Feel Beal may try to dominate the game a little too much to fit with an improving Tatum and Brown. So Lavine has an edge. I'd like KAT more than both.

Agree.
who wouldn't, but KAT is going to require Brown I think and that makes it far less attractive unless we acquire someone like LaVine or Beal without using Brown and then move Brown for KAT.

So multi-trades -

First - Richardson, Nesmith, G. Williams, 22 + 24 1st's for LaVine
Second - Brown, R. Williams, 23 + 25 + 27 Swap, 26 1st for Towns
Third - Prince, Layman into Fournier TPE for future 2nd

Post-Trades with 1 open spot

PG - Schroder, Pritchard
SG - LaVine, Smart, Langford
SF - Tatum, Prince, Layman
PF - Towns, Parker, Hernangomez, Fernando
C - Horford, Kanter

Rotation would be something like this

PG - Schroder 30, Pritchard 18
SG - LaVine 36, Smart 12
SF - Tatum 18, Smart 18, Prince 12
PF - Towns 22, Tatum 18, Parker 8
C - Horford 24, Towns 14, Kanter 10

Now that would be a team that could really have a shot at a title
C's best shot at Beal and LaVine was there cap space they got no shot as more teams will out bid them. So if we are already in fantasy land why not throw in KAT.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Feel Beal may try to dominate the game a little too much to fit with an improving Tatum and Brown. So Lavine has an edge. I'd like KAT more than both.

Agree.
who wouldn't, but KAT is going to require Brown I think and that makes it far less attractive unless we acquire someone like LaVine or Beal without using Brown and then move Brown for KAT.

So multi-trades -

PG - Schroder, Pritchard
C - Horford, Kanter

SG - LaVine 36, Smart 12

C's best shot at Beal and LaVine was there cap space they got no shot as more teams will out bid them. So if we are already in fantasy land why not throw in KAT.
I believe those are reasonable value trades.  Now sure a team could come in with a better offer, but the value is about right on both of those.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 12:33:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agree.

So multi-trades -

PG - Schroder, Pritchard
C - Horford, Kanter

SG - LaVine 36, Smart 12

Small picayune thing, Towns is not in any way, shape or form a PF. He has played there for about 50 minutes in his entire career. You bring him in, he is your center for 33-34 MPG and you probably still have to make more trades to balance the roster, as you would have 4 centers and only Tatum and garbage at PF, like we have now.

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 12:37:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Basketball-wise, Beal is better in the half court. LaVine is better in the open court. Rule of thumb is that most playoff games are won in the half court. When comparing players with similar talent level, always gimme the better half-court player. I'm very low on LaVine's BBIQ.

In terms of asset management, LaVine is 2 years younger, plus his max will start at 30% of the cap (instead of 35%).

All in all, imo Beal is a better player. LaVine is possibly a better asset.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:45:20 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 12:55:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Agree.

So multi-trades -

PG - Schroder, Pritchard
C - Horford, Kanter

SG - LaVine 36, Smart 12

Small picayune thing, Towns is not in any way, shape or form a PF. He has played there for about 50 minutes in his entire career. You bring him in, he is your center for 33-34 MPG and you probably still have to make more trades to balance the roster, as you would have 4 centers and only Tatum and garbage at PF, like we have now.
That is fair, though I do think he could do it, especially next to someone like Horford.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 01:22:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Beal.  He's a better scorer and playmaker.

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Beal for me. Both aren’t great defensively, so it’s a wash there, but Beal is a more complete offensive player. He’s got good court vision, plays well with the ball and possibly plays even better off the ball.

Zach is just like Tatum/Brown, except the Jays are overall better.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2021, 07:11:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Where has the narrative (being peddled by Washburn, for one) of Lavine being a good defender come from? He has been nothing but a below average defender his entire NBA career.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2021, 07:30:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Where has the narrative (being peddled by Washburn, for one) of Lavine being a good defender come from? He has been nothing but a below average defender his entire NBA career.
To be fair Lavine is capable of being a good defender in the same vein as Aaron Gordon. When focused and committed they have stepped up. The narrative of them being able to stay constant defenders is the issue. It's not in their DNA. Seems it's hard to stay committed to it for 90% of the NBA today.

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2021, 08:32:08 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Zach must be an exceptional man indeed. He was clueless about basketball when he first came into the league - no longer! His work ethic must be one of the best in a league that is famously workaholic. Not bad for a guy with the nickname, “Young Hollywood”.

Chicago has thoroughly revamped their roster with him as the centerpiece. It’s probably not escaped their attention that someone will give him a new contract next season. Why not us, they might have said to themselves. And the next logical thought was possibly, let’s spend some cash and put some guys around him who can make plays for him?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 10:12:54 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I had the same question. The only thing I've ever heard is that Lavine's defense was sorely lacking.

From what I've read, Beal is the better offensive fit because he's more capable of playing off the ball.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I voted for Lavine for all of the reasons that have been stated in this thread. Beal is a great player but I like the flexibility that Lavine offers. I do have 2 caveats to this position though.

1. Frankly I still remain skeptical that Tatum wants to be a Celtic past this contract. No one ever turns down their rookie extension and players have all the power in determining where they lace up. I do not think Tatum would have any issues with forcing a trade to another situation if he was so inclined which brings us to Beal.

If acquiring Beal in any way shape or form leads to Tatum signing another extension then all bets are off, you acquire Bradley Beal by almost any means necessary. Only problem with this would be if the only way to sign Beal was at the expense of Jaylen Brown.

If this is the case than I think I am back to rather having Brown and Lavine over Beal and Tatum. I think the Beal/Tatum core is more talented but the Brown/Lavine would be more likely to stay in Boston long term, not to mention if Tatum did want to leave after signing Lavine then we could possibly be able to swing a massive trade for Tatum to somewhere like Phoenix for Deandre Ayton or LA Clippers for Paul George. Losing Tatum in this case hurts but it keeps our Eastern Conference Champion/NBA Champion window wide open.

2. I don't like Towns as a fit in Boston. I think he comes across as really sensitive in the media and it wouldn't take long for the Felger and Mazz's of the world to mentally break him. That being said however Towns is also arguably the best third star to put next to Tatum and Brown from a talent perspective.

I think I still like Lavine for the defense and mental toughness that he has shown but if Towns is actually a viable option I'd have to consider it.