Author Topic: 2017 Draft: Six of One or Half Dozen of the Other?  (Read 2305 times)

2017 Draft: Six of One or Half Dozen of the Other?
« on: September 12, 2021, 05:08:50 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I am just curious how people would feel about a retroactive draft choice.

In 2017, if Ainge could have split the 2017 1st pick into drafting Donovan Mitchell & Bam Adebayo or just take Jayson Tatum + the Kings pick again, which would you prefer?

IMO Tatum has the highest ceiling of the 2017 draftees, but does having two star players (Bam & Mitchell) beat having an MVP calibre player in Tatum?

A core of Adebayo, Brown, Mitchell or Tatum & Brown?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: 2017 Draft: Six of One or Half Dozen of the Other?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 09:01:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
even without seeing how Romeo turns out with the Sac pick, I'd still take Tatum.  he's got the potential to be a real franchise/championship cornerstone.  Bam and Mitchell do not

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's hard to know whether Adebayo develops into the big man he is today in Boston.

I take Tatum in this instance, because if we're using the power of hindsight we can draft Keldon Johnson or Daniel Gafford instead of Romeo ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 09:56:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Always Tatum.

The real “what if” is whether Ainge could have flipped the Lakers / Sacramento pick for one of those guys.  Or, could he have convinced Philly to waive the protection on the Lakers pick to land Bridges, SGA or Porter Jr. in 2018.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Always Tatum.

The real “what if” is whether Ainge could have flipped the Lakers / Sacramento pick for one of those guys.  Or, could he have convinced Philly to waive the protection on the Lakers pick to land Bridges, SGA or Porter Jr. in 2018.
Or just not traded for Irving and used the Brooklyn pick on  one of those guys.

As for the thread, Tatum has a higher ceiling than either Mitchell or Adebayo, the real question is his ceiling high enough to win a title, because if not, then the team might have a better shot at being a 3 headed monster as opposed to a 2 headed monster with a slightly taller head.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Let me get this right:  Would you trade Tatum for Donavan Mitchell and Bam Adebayo?  Hell yes, and twice on Sunday.

Is this a serious question? 

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 04:13:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
What this boils down to is would it have been smart to trade the #1 pick in 2017 for the #13 and #14 that year instead of the #3 and a future (that ended up being #14).  In general, that kind of a trade would not be a very good trade for the team giving up the #1 pick.  There are years, such as when Wiggins ended up being the #1 but in general, no.  And certainly not when you compare #3 and a future that was expected to be really good to getting #13 and #14, no one would take the latter given the chance for the former.

To go total hindsight and say would you today trade Tatum and Langford for Mitchell and Adebayo, that is still a tough one.  Mitchell is really good but is he Tatum good?  Adebayo is really good at the hardest position to find a good player at.  I think I would make that trade though.  It defies the conventional wisdom of never wanting to give up the best player but in this case, you are getting two really good players so I think you do it.

There has been a lot of talk about trading for Beal.  Most people say that they would not trade Tatum for Beal.  Is Mitchell better than Beal?  Maybe, and if not, he is pretty close.  I think WAS would be pretty happy to get Mitchell and Adebayo for Beal, and they should be.  Tatum is more than Beal but this is still a good trade (albeit totally unrealistic).

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:36:23 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I’m one of the first to critique Danny, but trading out of number one to get Tatum and a future first was the best move he made in his final eight years. It’s right after the trades for KG, Ray and the Nets deal. There are many reasons to criticize Danny, but that move bought him 2-3 years more than otherwise…

And I do not think I’d trade Tatum for anybody except maybe a package involving Giannis or Doncic. Like those two, Tatum has the potential to be the best basketball player in the world after LeBron is retired and Durant is on the decline. We are extremely lucky to have him, particularly if he develops into a top five superstar (reminder: probably necessary 8-9 times out of every 10 championships, and certainly required to build a dynasty)