Author Topic: Advanced Celtics Stats from 2020-21 Season  (Read 1193 times)

Advanced Celtics Stats from 2020-21 Season
« on: September 14, 2021, 02:38:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
It is fun to look at some of the team stats for the Celtics and assess what they mean in terms of roster improvements or individual player development.  I picked a few that I thought were telling.

Net Points off TO
Celtics +2.0 pts
Rank 3rd
This stat is a reflection of both taking care of the ball and defense.  We rank very high in the league for this.  I was surprised

Net Points 2nd Chance
Celtics +0.1 pts
Rank 16th
This one reflects rebounding both defensive and offensive.  We were about neutral on this and middle of the pack in ranking.  Not bad really when you consider our poor big rotation.

Net Points Fast Break
Celtics +0.0 pts
Rank 15th
Again, neutral, middle of the pack.  Would like to see some improvement on this.

Net Points in Paint
Celtics +2.0 pts
Rank 7th
A reflection of interior defense and taking it to the bucket.  Not bad result.

Net PF / FTA
Celtics -1.1 / 20.8
Rank 24th /. 25th
I combined these as I feel they are related.  We are bottom of the league in FTA and net personal fouls.  We need to draw more fouls.

Team Assists
Celtics 23.5
Rank 25th
We need better passing, less hero ball (no surprise).

EFG% / TS%
Celtics 54.3% / 57.4%
Rank 12th / 16th
I put these together as they are also related.  EFG% is based on 2PT and 3PT attempts only.  TS% also factors in FTA.  This shows that our low FTA brings us down.  We did pretty well with shooting.

My conclusion is that we did better than I expected in numbers that likely reflect production from bigs (Net 2nd chance points, Net point in paint) although little guys score in the paint also.  The stat is Net points in paint so this does reflect our interior defense also and it was generally pretty good I feel.  Our defense overall and taking care of the ball overall in terms of net points off turnovers was pretty good. 

For areas of improvement, we should be able to do better in team Assists and we need to get to the line more.  These may be related.  Better passing may result in more “good” looks where someone has to foul.  Our shooting is pretty good but we probably rely on that too much.  No big surprise here.

Re: Advanced Celtics Stats from 2020-21 Season
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 08:37:55 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Net PF / FTA
Celtics -1.1 / 20.8
Rank 24th /. 25th
I combined these as I feel they are related.  We are bottom of the league in FTA and net personal fouls.  We need to draw more fouls.
We heard that JT is going to take it to the rim more this season.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP Vermont.  Very clear presentation. Reveals/confirms a lot about last year's team.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Another TP to Vermont for exhaustive breakdown...it was a rough year and we have new coaches and players to show for it.

The assists per gave have Celtics in bottom five in the NBA
at 112.6 ppg they are just about mid pack in scoring.

Defensive rebounds at 33.6 pg put them in the bottom ten.

Stats are tricky as there are always "two sides" to the stat result, but, not with scoring and passing.

If Robert is able to start his fair share of games? This team will be very tough...if not? Will need a center beyond Horford.

Thanks, Vermont Green.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 12:01:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Thanks - interesting post.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:10:15 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Stats are tricky as there are always "two sides" to the stat result, but, not with scoring and passing.

Yes, that is why I tried to understand net stats, such as net second chance points.  Total second chance points can be impacted by pace and other things but if you are getting more second chance points than your opponent, that is a good thing in any case.  It means you are rebounding better and defending better than your opponent.