Author Topic: Welcome to Boston Josh Richardson  (Read 3308 times)

Welcome to Boston Josh Richardson
« on: August 06, 2021, 06:54:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Didn’t see a welcome thread for Josh Richardson. Haven’t seen him play much, but he seems like a good on ball defender, as he’s quick and athletic. Decent midrange game and can get to the basket. Just average from 3pt distance.  Seems like a solid replacement for Fournier, not as good offensively, but seems to be quite a bit better defensively. I think he will fit in well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGytSJWMbjc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JV8j0yboYmk&t=155s

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 07:10:08 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Welcome to Boston Josh Richardson
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Pretty excited to see J-Rich in a C’s Jersey. Apparently he can’t wait either....

https://mobile.twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1438172874687328258?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Didn’t see a welcome thread for Josh Richardson. Haven’t seen him play much, but he seems like a good on ball defender, as he’s quick and athletic. Decent midrange game and can get to the basket. Just average from 3pt distance.  Seems like a solid replacement for Fournier, not as good offensively, but seems to be quite a bit better defensively. I think he will fit in well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yGytSJWMbjc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JV8j0yboYmk&t=155s

Nice to see Al and Richardson playing together.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 07:06:01 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
All he has to do is play hard, make the right basketball play, hit the open shot, and play some solid defense. He's a capable veteran and should be able to do that.   

The J's should be able to provide the French Pastry.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 06:36:11 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
One of the more interesting storylines will be seeing how J Rich does. I think Nesmith probably bests him for minutes by the all-star break
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
One of the more interesting storylines will be seeing how J Rich does. I think Nesmith probably bests him for minutes by the all-star break

That would be amazing, but it's tough to see.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 09:27:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That would be amazing, but it's tough to see.
Agree, as good a SL as Nesmith had, you could see he still struggles with lateral quickness on defense.  I'm still hoping this can be fixed since Nesmith is a superb athlete and a hard worker.

Also, I see Nesmith's natural position as PF not SF/SG.  That means he wouldn't be competing with J-Rich for minutes.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 09:54:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Josh Richardson is a great pick up.  We essentially got him for a first round pick, which we sent to OKC and got Moses Brown, who ended up in Dallas.  I was surprised that we extended him with out seeing him play on the team but I feel it is likely he can play to that contract.

Josh Richardson will of course be compared to Evan Fournier who he pretty much replaced.  This may not be fair but I feel it is realistic.  To me, all Josh Richardson needs to do is play better than Fournier did in Boston.  Fournier's stats in Orlando may well prove to be empty stats.

In Boston, Fournier produced 13 pts / 3 Rebs / 3 Assts in about 30 min per game.  He shot a very good 3p% (46%) but to me, did not look that good overall.  13 pts in about 30 min is about where Richardson has been the last few years.  He is supposed to play good defense but let's see.  Fournier was nothing special on defense.

Richardson's minutes may well be down in Boston, he could be more like 24 min due to the guard logjam we have.  Fournier should play regular starter minutes in NY.

Looking forward to seeing Richardson play and see how he fits in.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 10:31:45 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I think bringing in Richardson and quickly extending him is a sign that Brad thinks that Aaron and Romeo are still a year or two away.

Sure, they’ll play this year and gain experience, but they aren’t ready to step in and play real minutes yet. Fournier might have been a better choice for this year, but after that he’s blocking the young guys that will be as good or better than him if they reach their potential. And he would have cost a lot more for a longer period of time.

I think it would have forced Brad to trade one or both of them. Now he has another year to evaluate them. They might still be traded, but because Brad wants to, not has to.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think Josh Richardson is a great pick up.  We essentially got him for a first round pick, which we sent to OKC and got Moses Brown, who ended up in Dallas.  I was surprised that we extended him with out seeing him play on the team but I feel it is likely he can play to that contract.

Josh Richardson will of course be compared to Evan Fournier who he pretty much replaced.  This may not be fair but I feel it is realistic.  To me, all Josh Richardson needs to do is play better than Fournier did in Boston.  Fournier's stats in Orlando may well prove to be empty stats.

In Boston, Fournier produced 13 pts / 3 Rebs / 3 Assts in about 30 min per game.  He shot a very good 3p% (46%) but to me, did not look that good overall.  13 pts in about 30 min is about where Richardson has been the last few years.  He is supposed to play good defense but let's see.  Fournier was nothing special on defense.

Richardson's minutes may well be down in Boston, he could be more like 24 min due to the guard logjam we have.  Fournier should play regular starter minutes in NY.

Looking forward to seeing Richardson play and see how he fits in.

I agree he is a good pick up.
As for Fournier, I wanted to keep him.  Would have been a really good fit, perhaps even better fit than Beal….who knows.

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 07:26:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm optimistic about Richardson but I also want to be realistic. I think he's the perfect fit in the starting lineup with Smart and the J's. He's a tough defender who can create a little and knock down shots. And he's looking to redeem himself after a down year in Dallas.

But that down year wasn't just a year, it's really two years of trending down. Both situations seem like they were bad and bad fits so that's why I'm optimistic that we'll see him rebound but I also can't act surprised if he has another year regressing.

I'm assuming Ime was consulted about bringing him in, though, so hopefully that's a good sign.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008