Author Topic: NBA In-Season Tournament Closer To Fruition  (Read 3232 times)

Re: NBA In-Season Tournament Closer To Fruition
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I believe I given my two cents before  on the in-season tournament but again I will say it’s a dumb idea that’s clearly an uneducated cash grab.

Silver referenced the concept before as like a soccer knockout cup tournament, but the NBA attempting to copy the FA Cup makes no sense because:

- Soccer league season is based on team with the most points wins, no playoffs.

- No playoffs or ‘Finals’ means the cup competition is special or unique.

- Soccer cup competitions feature lower tier teams all the way down to the amateur level, thus the romance of the cup competition.

The NBA has none of these necessities to make a cup competition relevant.

The only idea which could be exciting, is incorporating the 3 V 3 game into the NBA as the in-season tournament.

A 3 on 3 tournament mid-season is an awesome idea. I would love to see NBA players in their prime playing some serious half court 3 on 3 games.

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I believe I given my two cents before  on the in-season tournament but again I will say it’s a dumb idea that’s clearly an uneducated cash grab.

Silver referenced the concept before as like a soccer knockout cup tournament, but the NBA attempting to copy the FA Cup makes no sense because:

- Soccer league season is based on team with the most points wins, no playoffs.

- No playoffs or ‘Finals’ means the cup competition is special or unique.

- Soccer cup competitions feature lower tier teams all the way down to the amateur level, thus the romance of the cup competition.

The NBA has none of these necessities to make a cup competition relevant.

The only idea which could be exciting, is incorporating the 3 V 3 game into the NBA as the in-season tournament.

A 3 on 3 tournament mid-season is an awesome idea. I would love to see NBA players in their prime playing some serious half court 3 on 3 games.

Yes, I’m sure it would add another dimension to the season and it could help showcase fringe nba players more suited for the 3 on 3 format.

I am surprised it hasn’t been discussed in the NBA given it’s become legitimized through FIBA around 15 years ago…not to mention it was played at the Olympics this year.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:30:03 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 04:39:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be more interested in such a tournament if there were lower-level, non-NBA affiliated teams also involved, like the US Open cup for American soccer.  Watching the Rochester Rhinos take down the defending MLS champion Chicago Fire in 1999 is still one of my favorite sporting memories.
That would be pretty cool.

I'd also like to see an NBA endorsed 3v3 tournament. Not sure how it would work, but it could probably be incorporated into the All-Star weekend. The 3v3 stuff at the Olympics is super entertaining.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I wonder if it would become like games we typically see the last week of the season, where the starters often sit.

No way you get a guy like Kawhi playing in this, and guys with $100m+ contracts and big endorsement deals aren't going to care, I'm sure most of them would rather have a nice little break from action.

But then you have your Tremont Waters, Shane Larkns, Phil Presseys, Javonte Greens, etc.  An extra million would be a big deal for those guys (plus more if they get the shares from the stars/vets who choose to sit too).  So you want some extra cash Tremont?  Well you're going to have to go out there and earn it.

The way to get it to work is to really up the ante, like all the luxury tax payments for that season go to the winning team (which would probably further increase super teams and give the odds to big market teams, but would make for a high stakes game between Brooklyn and LA).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hate the idea but if you are going to do it, run it concurrently with the All-Star game and each team is forbidden to use their top five scorers or anyone in the All-Star game.