Author Topic: 49ers traded the farm so Pat's wouldn't get Mac  (Read 4517 times)

49ers traded the farm so Pat's wouldn't get Mac
« on: September 12, 2021, 05:40:36 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Reported from Adam Schefner.  Kyle Shanahan wanted Mac Jones. They thought The pats would trade up and take Mac.

So they trade the farm to move up to three. It was announced that the 49ers would take Mac, the Fan base hated the idea.

John Lynch convinced Kyle to take Trae Lance instead.  Earlier Lynch convinced Kyle to take Jimmy G over Kyle's guy kirk Cousins.

So if this goes wrong with Lance someone is gonna get fired. Also the 49ers could have stood pat and got Mac without trading multiple future firsts.

Stay tuned this should get interesting....

Re: 49ers traded the farm so Pat's wouldn't get Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I'm not a Pats' fan, but IMO, other than Cincy getting Joe Burrow last year, the Pats got the best QB out of all the guys taken the last couple years.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 06:14:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I don’t believe this story. Doesn’t make sense. Teams don’t make decisions based on what the fans want.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 06:21:14 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t believe this story. Doesn’t make sense. Teams don’t make decisions based on what the fans want.

I agree. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Kyle Shanahan saw Trey Lance and fell in love with his potential skillset. They traded up to 3 to get him.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 09:05:47 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
As a 49ers fan I can say this is kinda true.  They decided they wanted to get a QB in this draft.  They decided if they were going to trade up they might as well trade up to 3 to make sure they would not get leap frogged by another team (such as the Pats looking for Jones).  They didn't know which guy they wanted for sure but knew there were three possibilities.  Picks 1 and 2 were set in stone.  If they traded up to 3 they knew they could get which ever guy (Jones, Fields or Lance) they wanted. Once they worked the three of them out multiple times, they decided on Lance. 

Shanahan left the Browns because he wanted to draft Garoppolo but the owner made them draft Manziel.  I can't believe he would be Ok being forced to draft a guy at three he didn't want. 

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:28:57 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

I agree.

Yup. 49ers must have known that Belichick would never hand over the ransom in draft picks that would have been required to move up to the top 5.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 11:21:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Part of the story also revolves around the Niners laying this down in hopes BB would trade for JimmyG.  Nope, he stood pat and got the guy many thought he wanted anyway.

Personally, I'm a Justin Fields guy, but time will tell.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Reported from Adam Schefner.  Kyle Shanahan wanted Mac Jones. They thought The pats would trade up and take Mac.

So they trade the farm to move up to three. It was announced that the 49ers would take Mac, the Fan base hated the idea.

John Lynch convinced Kyle to take Trae Lance instead.  Earlier Lynch convinced Kyle to take Jimmy G over Kyle's guy kirk Cousins.

So if this goes wrong with Lance someone is gonna get fired. Also the 49ers could have stood pat and got Mac without trading multiple future firsts.

This makes no sense that the GM would have to convince the head coach who to draft.  Isn't it the GM that decides who to draft?  I am sure they work together and there is collaboration but if John Lynch wanted to take Lance over Jones, wouldn't he just do that?

I think the simple solution is still the most likely.  At the time of the trade, they were undecided on who their top QB choice was and they didn't know who anyone else wanted (after what appeared to be a consensus top 2).  So they made the trade knowing that at 3 they could get who they wanted no matter what anyone else did.  Then they completed their evaluation and picked who they wanted with Lynch having the final say.

Now I suppose that Lynch could decide to  pick who the coach wanted.  Or if he knew he was not picking the coach's first choice, try to resolve that with the coach.  But Lynch is the GM and I suspect he was going to pick who he wanted if it came down to a flat out difference of opinion with the coach.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess it kinda makes sense if you're under the impression that SF made the trade up despite not knowing who was going to be at #3 and not being sold on who they were going to draft in that slot.

I can't imagine the GM being stupid enough to caving into what the fanbase wants, though.  If the owner dictated a decision, its one thing.  But the fanbase?  I think Parcells once said that once you start listening to the fans, you'll soon be sitting with them.

Who knows.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 02:52:06 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is an interesting article from 2020 that states how important Shanahan is to the Niners:

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/kyle-shanahan-may-eventually-serve-as-both-49ers-head-coach-and-general-manager

It's happened before, when the GM and Coach don't agree on picks, one has to give and it's not always the coach.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 03:43:04 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think this all makes sense except for the fan part. Kyle wanting Mac and Lynch wanting Lance, with Lynch eventually winning out, is believable enough.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 03:47:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

This makes no sense that the GM would have to convince the head coach who to draft.  Isn't it the GM that decides who to draft?  I am sure they work together and there is collaboration but if John Lynch wanted to take Lance over Jones, wouldn't he just do that?

I think the simple solution is still the most likely.  At the time of the trade, they were undecided on who their top QB choice was and they didn't know who anyone else wanted (after what appeared to be a consensus top 2).  So they made the trade knowing that at 3 they could get who they wanted no matter what anyone else did.  Then they completed their evaluation and picked who they wanted with Lynch having the final say.

Now I suppose that Lynch could decide to  pick who the coach wanted.  Or if he knew he was not picking the coach's first choice, try to resolve that with the coach.  But Lynch is the GM and I suspect he was going to pick who he wanted if it came down to a flat out difference of opinion with the coach.
He's taking a QB against his head coaches' wishes? That's a recipe for failure. Sure Lynch probably has the authority to make the pick, but probably the most important thing a HC and GM have to agree on is the direction they're taking at QB.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

He's taking a QB against his head coaches' wishes? That's a recipe for failure. Sure Lynch probably has the authority to make the pick, but probably the most important thing a HC and GM have to agree on is the direction they're taking at QB.

The way this was worded "John Lynch convinced Kyle to take Trae Lance instead" reads that Kyle Shanahan made the pick, not John Lynch.  And yes, I would expect that the GM would pick who he wanted if it came down to it, even if the coach didn't like the pick.  Of course you hope it doesn't come to that but if there was a flat out disagreement and both felt strongly, the GM would pick who he wanted to pick I would expect.

I am not saying that is the case here.  I expect that they formed some level of consensus.  It is also possible that Lynch decided that Shanahan knew QBs better than he did and just decided to pick who Shanahan wanted.   But then, Lynch wouldn't have to convince Shanahan one way or the other, he would just pick the one Shanahan wanted.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 05:40:05 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'm not a Pats' fan, but IMO, other than Cincy getting Joe Burrow last year, the Pats got the best QB out of all the guys taken the last couple years.
Better than Herbert? 😂