Author Topic: Lakers to sign DeAndre Jordan  (Read 5131 times)

Re: Lakers to sign DeAndre Jordan
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2021, 12:08:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, he's better than their alternatives, I guess.

I still don't understand why they didn't bite the bullet and offer Dennis Schroder 1 year, $10 million or a bit more.  He'd contribute more than pretty much everyone the Lakers have brought in.
I expect Lebron and/or AD wanted him gone.  They certainly didn't have any interest in Schroder staying or he'd still be there.

Logically this makes sense, but Lebron, Davis and Westbrook all lobbied for Jared Dudley and the Lakers still dumped him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2021, 12:09:06 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Probably means Gasol is done with them. I don’t think Jordan would leave dnps for another spot earning dnps. Seems silly though cause him and howard are pretty similar now and they still play davis at small 5. Waiting for familiar posters to explain why this is a great signing
They play Davis at the 4 a lot during the regular season.  Davis has no interest in banging with the heavyweight centers.  Jordan isn't a great signing but he's another big body center to burn minutes. 

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2021, 01:02:23 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Everyone is going to the Lakers or Nets

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 04:09:10 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Everyone is going to the Lakers or Nets
It's getting ridiculous.  So many huge names with allstar resumes.  At least a lot of them are running on fumes.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2021, 05:48:08 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Probably means Gasol is done with them. I don’t think Jordan would leave dnps for another spot earning dnps. Seems silly though cause him and howard are pretty similar now and they still play davis at small 5. Waiting for familiar posters to explain why this is a great signing

Not sure Jordan has much choice about the DNPs tbqh. He looked well and truly washed last season, and Los Angeles is just a more desirable drying rack than some other spots.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2021, 09:00:04 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I really wanted to buy a late 2nd on draft night and get Chaundee Brown as a 2-way.  I’m rooting for the Lakers to get another guaranteed vet so Brown doesn’t make it out of training camp and can be a 2-way for us (as the Lakers already have two other guys on 2-ways).

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 09:09:22 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The average age of the Lakers has to be like 35 years old right? That team is OLD.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2021, 10:08:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't see how Westbrook can work next to LeBron if LAL continue to play a paint only center next to them. The spacing is going to be horrible.

They have to play small ball to have a functioning offense. We saw that in Houston with Westbrook and Harden.

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2021, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline Lakers are the Best

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

I still don't understand why they didn't bite the bullet and offer Dennis Schroder 1 year, $10 million or a bit more.  He'd contribute more than pretty much everyone the Lakers have brought in.

I'd be interested if you still feel that way after being exposed to Dennis me me me Schroder for awhile.
Celtics got him for a good bargain price. Personally, I'm glad he's gone from the Lakers.

My recommendation to Lakers fans:  get used to "me me me" play from your PG position.

Schroder has shown the ability to be an excellent 6th man.  He's so much better than Monk, or Bazemore, or just about any of the bench guys that you'll be replying upon.

He has shown the ability to be an excellent 6th man, but the first thing he did upon arrival was demand to start.

From ESPN:

"LeBron James could be one and done playing the 1 for the Los Angeles Lakers. The newly acquired Dennis Schroder said he intends to start at point guard for the defending champions.

'I did this off-the-bench stuff already in two years with OKC,' Schroder, who finished second behind teammate Montrezl Harrell for Sixth Man of the Year for his role with the Thunder, said on an introductory videoconference call with reporters Monday. 'I think I try to move forward, and I think with [Anthony Davis] and LeBron, I can be helpful as a starter in the PG position.'"

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 04:23:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

I'd be interested if you still feel that way after being exposed to Dennis me me me Schroder for awhile.
Celtics got him for a good bargain price. Personally, I'm glad he's gone from the Lakers.
LOL you have Lebron and Westbrook and you single out Schroder?

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »

• Xavier Tillman

LOL you have Lebron and Westbrook and you single out Schroder?

LeBron and Westbrook are former MVPs.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2021, 07:55:43 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Of course.  Easiest GM job in sports.
I couldn’t agree more.
TP!

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2021, 02:37:07 AM »

• Xavier Tillman
The average age of the Lakers has to be like 35 years old right? That team is OLD.

According to thecoldwire.com:

"According to Real GM, the Lakers’ average age on their 2021-22 roster (30.9) stands a full two years older than the next closest team (Miami Heat, 28.8), and that’s before adding Jordan.

Los Angeles already assembled one of the oldest rosters in recent NBA history.

At this rate, they might surpass the 2015-16 San Antonio Spurs (31.6) for that mark.

If this figure holds, the 2021-22 Lakers will become just the eighth team over the last 17 seasons to have an average roster age of 30 or more years old."

Incidentally, the 2015-16 San Antonio team had a 0.817 winning percentage, highest in Spurs history.

I think a lot will depend on if they can be healthy come playoff time. Competent, experienced bench players should help keep minutes down and increase the chances.

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2021, 02:49:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I expect Lebron and/or AD wanted him gone.  They certainly didn't have any interest in Schroder staying or he'd still be there.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2021/9/1/22652729/anthony-davis-dennis-schroder-rajon-rondo-frustrated-chemistry-assist-lakers

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/09/01/report-lakers-star-anthony-davis-was-frustrated-with-dennis-schroders-passing/

Spoiled by Rondo :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2021, 05:05:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
These Lakers smell like a 45 win team that goes out in the first round.

About Schroder, I think I read that he was signed with the understanding that he wasn’t going to be starting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008