Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29198 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2021, 04:26:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
So...

Horford / Timelord / Kanter / Fernando
Tatum / Hernagomez / Jabari / Williams
Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo
Smart / Schroder / Pritchard

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?

You know who would have brought balance to that lineup?  Evan Fournier. ;)

Yeah, in the way you broke it down the weakness is at SG. Although, I don't think it will actually play out like that. Brown, Tatum, Smart and Pritchard will all probably get minutes there.

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2021, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?
Isn't the tax based on actual salary, not the subsidized one? I think "2- year vet min" is only for the cap, not the tax. I could be wrong.

Nope.  Only the subsidized part is subject to the tax.
Then 10/20/21 is the date to watch.

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
lot less dead weight i think on this roster than last year

could be fairly deep team

im getting psyched! :)

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

I don’t understand the fans that worry about money. Wyc, is that you? If so, my bad for mistaking you for a a fan.

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2021, 04:48:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Love it. Juan was a solid 4 in Minny, and will be a decent bench guy for us, but most importantly the roster crunch is solved and Carsen Edwards is gone. Juancho is only 2.5 years older than Carsen, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

I don’t understand the fans that worry about money. Wyc, is that you? If so, my bad for mistaking you for a a fan.
Because the team decision-makers care about money? It's pretty obvious if you're trying to think about where your team is headed, which is what fans do.

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2021, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Yeah, in the way you broke it down the weakness is at SG. Although, I don't think it will actually play out like that. Brown, Tatum, Smart and Pritchard will all probably get minutes there.
and Richardson, so I don’t think SG is a weak depth position at all.  Now PF is deeper so yeah this roster is better balanced and no bench guys are overpaid nor committed to long-term.

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Lots of players that can play and "thrive" as you mention in other positions, more than thrive, play better than the position they've been slotted in.

And no, Jabari is not gone... why? Even less reason now. You got a cheap player who can play, there's another milestone in January which you can use if things aren't going as planned. Little reason to do so now.

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Because the team decision-makers care about money? It's pretty obvious if you're trying to think about where your team is headed, which is what fans do.

Well, I don’t quite understand the concept of the rational fan.

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2021, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown

This is the greatest. TP
I don't care about Wyc's money. I care about how the money he will spend effects the team.

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2021, 04:59:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

This is the greatest. TP
I don't care about Wyc's money. I care about how the money he will spend effects the team.

Well keep counting your pennies while the Lakers rack up championships.

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2021, 05:07:30 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown

This is the greatest. TP

So should I rail against the C's because they didn't cut Grant Williams to sign Rondo.

Keep Kemba, keep Fournier, how can we spend enough to make a difference?

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2021, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

This is the greatest. TP

What is the point of posts like these? Are you just trying to be antagonistic to other fans for not cheering their team on the way you do?

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown

This is the greatest. TP

What is the point of posts like these? Are you just trying to be antagonistic to other fans for not cheering their team on the way you do?
I think its somewhat fair. There is a subset of Fans who believe that ownership's reluctance to spend money is a determent to progress. I'm on the fringe of this.

But the NBA has a salary cap and all the moves need to be judged through this lens.

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
So...

Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo

Isn't the tax based on actual salary, not the subsidized one? I think "2- year vet min" is only for the cap, not the tax. I could be wrong.

Nope.  Only the subsidized part is subject to the tax.
Plus, the league pays part of the salary only if the player signs a 1-year minimum contract and has 3+ years of experience. Jabari has singed a 2-year contract, hence we pay him his full salary. I guess we could cut him and then sign him to a 1-year minimum deal. If so, the league would pay part of his salary.

''Because the NBA doesn’t want teams to avoid signing veteran players in favor of cheaper, younger players, the league reimburses clubs who sign veterans with three or more years of experience to one-year, minimum salary contracts. Those deals will only count against the cap – and against a team’s bank balance – for $1,669,178, the minimum salary for a player with two years of experience''.