Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29042 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
According to 82games data, Tatum played on average 13 min/gm at PF and 21 min/gm at wing.  Last season we played a lot with Theis and Thompson together, until we traded Theis.  Even if he plays more at PF or more accurately, the team plays with 1 big, to me, it is still only going to be 16-18 min, leaving a lot of minutes for our PF by committee crew.

Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye played about 17 min each last season, in the games they played (they both missed some games).  I expect that in any given game, the main PF trio of Parker, Williams, Hernangomez (and maybe a little of Fernando mixed in) are going to play at least 24 min combined and maybe up to 32 min combined.

The coach can decide who plays based on match ups, who is hot, whatever.  Or one of these may emerge and get the majority of the available minutes.  Parker's career production is far better than Williams or Hernangomez but we shall see.

I am fine with the trade.  Dunn would have been a nice defensive option off the bench but we need that less than what we should be able to get from Hernangomez.  I didn't expect much from Dunn (and certainly not Edwards) and I don't expect much from Hernangomez.

« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2021, 04:15:50 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
On the other hand, this move might be motivated by keeping Brown happy. He is learning Spanish so now he has someone to perfect his speaking skills with 😊
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This guy is terrible. I can see why the trade was made but at least Dunn was good at a couple of things. This guy is pretty much useless. Say all you want about him being active and shooting 3's but he's good for one minute per game.

« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2021, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
This guy is terrible. I can see why the trade was made but at least Dunn was good at a couple of things. This guy is pretty much useless. Say all you want about him being active and shooting 3's but he's good for one minute per game.

Lol he's not that bad.  He's a stretch shooting big off the bench.  Every player in the NBA isn't starter material.  All bench players have flaws.  His is D.  He's active a decent rebounder and passed and can shoot 3s.  Not a bad option for your rotation.

« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

The guys we traded for him were worse than useless, so it's still a win.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2021, 02:48:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
And yet he has been a rotation level player every year of his career.  Even a spot starter for a Denver team that made game 7 of the WCS.  And earned himself a contract well above the minimum in the process. 

Just not a take borne in reality.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2021, 02:57:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
so, with the exception of pritchard, are the celtics now officially smurfless?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2021, 04:11:15 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
And yet he has been a rotation level player every year of his career.  Even a spot starter for a Denver team that made game 7 of the WCS.  And earned himself a contract well above the minimum in the process. 

Just not a take borne in reality.

Juancho Hernangomez is a role player. He'll have uses playing off of Brown, Tatum, TIMELORD, Schroder, Smart, etc....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 04:17:27 PM by liam »

« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2021, 04:20:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye played about 17 min each last season, in the games they played (they both missed some games).  I expect that in any given game, the main PF trio of Parker, Williams, Hernangomez (and maybe a little of Fernando mixed in) are going to play at least 24 min combined and maybe up to 32 min combined.

If he reduces Grant's minutes it is a win for us!

« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2021, 11:03:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
What's Juancho's passing and defense like? Really only need that plus decent long range shooting and it's a plus.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2021, 02:03:53 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

Bye, Bye, Grant Williams. He was due $4.3M next year on a team option. Juan’s $7.4M isn’t really a big deal with him off the books. Plus, no more Edwards who had a team option for $2m.

Is he actually even any better then Grant? 

I haven't seen Juancho play, but his physicals don't look impressive (modest size for a PF and about as skinny as Tatum was as a rookie) and I dont see a single statistical category that jumps out at me as above average.  Mediocre FG% for a big, mediocre FT%, mediocre rebounding, mediocre shotblocking and steals, merely average 3PT%, and im not seeing any indication of improvement / progression as his career has gone on. 

Seems like the ultimate poster boy for the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach to basketball.  I guess that gives him versatility at least?

« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2021, 05:38:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

Bye, Bye, Grant Williams. He was due $4.3M next year on a team option. Juan’s $7.4M isn’t really a big deal with him off the books. Plus, no more Edwards who had a team option for $2m.

I haven't seen Juancho play, but his physicals don't look impressive (modest size for a PF and about as skinny as Tatum was as a rookie) and I dont see a single statistical category that jumps out at me as above average.  Mediocre FG% for a big, mediocre FT%, mediocre rebounding, mediocre shotblocking and steals, merely average 3PT%, and im not seeing any indication of improvement / progression as his career has gone on. 

Seems like the ultimate poster boy for the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach to basketball.  I guess that gives him versatility at least?
His field-goal shooting isn't really relevant because he takes so many threes compared to twos. His 2PT % is fine. He's been a solid scorer in Minny, and he's safe (doesn't turn it over).

Nobody is expecting much, but he's a better offensive player than Grant
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2021, 06:15:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

That is a low bar to measure against.

Grant was 99th in Power Forwards and 475th  out of 542 overall in Hollinger's player stats of PER.

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/page/10/qualified/false

Hermangomez was 6oth in Power Forwards and 309th overall PER.

« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2021, 06:49:31 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I haven't seen Juancho play, but his physicals don't look impressive (modest size for a PF and about as skinny as Tatum was as a rookie) and I dont see a single statistical category that jumps out at me as above average.  Mediocre FG% for a big, mediocre FT%, mediocre rebounding, mediocre shot-blocking and steals, merely average 3PT%, and im not seeing any indication of improvement / progression as his career has gone on. 

I think you answered your own question.

Numbers don’t really stand out as much better but I don’t think most here have been referring to Grant as mediocre or average — or as a Jack of all trades.  JHG is probably a step up from Grant.  But who knows? Grant’s 22 and this may ignite a fire in him. Nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:00:55 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2021, 07:37:48 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Finally gotten rid of Carsen..now do the same with Grant & Romeo
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin