Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67514 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2021, 09:51:50 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He is not a super star , but thinks he should be treated like one or catered to. 

He needs to revisit his career so far.

« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Mistake post  ;D

« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2021, 10:08:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I'd still take him in Boston as long as the C's kept Tatum and Brown.  I think he'd be a beast next to those 2.  No idea how to make a trade with the Sixers work, but I'd be all for it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #393 on: October 20, 2021, 06:30:12 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
31s
Simmons’ reluctance to physically and mentally engage with the Sixers since his return has been a consistent theme, sources tell ESPN.

Now he needs to put on 30 pounds and start going to strip clubs unmasked.  It worked for Harden.

Not sure if he was masked or not  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #394 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:48 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd still take him in Boston as long as the C's kept Tatum and Brown.  I think he'd be a beast next to those 2.  No idea how to make a trade with the Sixers work, but I'd be all for it.

I'd absolutely be on board. Tatum/Brown/Simmons

« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2021, 08:55:30 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Still?  Wow.  I was with you on this a year ago, not so much now.  Just way to much drama for what he gives you on the court.  Things will still develop but I need to see Simmons acting like an adult, like a professional, before I want him in our locker room.  Right now, this is deeper than a "change of scenery" type of problem.

Think of Antonio Brown.  He had to bomb out with 3 teams before he finally got it.  Simmons is like Antonio Brown when he was on Pitt.  Just the beginning of the downward spiral.  Get yourself to practice and in a game and I could change my mind but it doesn't seem like that is where this is headed.

« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2021, 09:21:52 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Still?  Wow.  I was with you on this a year ago, not so much now.  Just way to much drama for what he gives you on the court.  Things will still develop but I need to see Simmons acting like an adult, like a professional, before I want him in our locker room.  Right now, this is deeper than a "change of scenery" type of problem.

Think of Antonio Brown.  He had to bomb out with 3 teams before he finally got it.  Simmons is like Antonio Brown when he was on Pitt.  Just the beginning of the downward spiral.  Get yourself to practice and in a game and I could change my mind but it doesn't seem like that is where this is headed.

This is definitely not how you handle a "change of scenery" problem, but I do see that as the main issue. The talent and fit is too much to pass up if you can manage to keep Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This is definitely not how you handle a "change of scenery" problem, but I do see that as the main issue. The talent and fit is too much to pass up if you can manage to keep Tatum and Brown.
he's not that talented and the fit is purely speculative.  where would he fit?  he's inferior to our wings (the J's), he provides no outside shooting so he's a poor fit as a guard even with his passing skills and defense and he's not a center (never mind a center/big that the current NBA almost requires to have outside shooting). 

He hasn't improved his game since his rookie year when he was looking like a Magic-like player.  He's actually regressed to the point where he's not a scoring threat unless on a fastbreak.

« Reply #398 on: October 20, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I believe his value is still dropping .  His lazy work ethic ,  no passion for game ,  big head ness
Seemingly , I got money now I don’t care , not much of a teammate,  apparently defiantly defies his coaches , at an age generally young guy are somewhat cooperative.  He is a pain in the rear headed for hardship.  Until his attitude changes ,  this is a bad contract ….really bad .

« Reply #399 on: October 20, 2021, 11:17:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

he's not that talented and the fit is purely speculative.  where would he fit?  he's inferior to our wings (the J's), he provides no outside shooting so he's a poor fit as a guard even with his passing skills and defense and he's not a center (never mind a center/big that the current NBA almost requires to have outside shooting). 

He hasn't improved his game since his rookie year when he was looking like a Magic-like player.  He's actually regressed to the point where he's not a scoring threat unless on a fastbreak.
Assuming the trade is something like Smart, Horford, draft picks/young players leaving Boston (not necessarily to Philly), then Simmons would fit just fine as the offensive PG and defensive PF, but you see that is where Simmons real value is his versatility.  Boston's two main weaknesses in my mind, are a guy with the ability to guard all PF's and playmaking.  Those are two things that Simmons does incredibly well.  As a guy whose role offensively is to pass, set screens, etc., Simmons would be fantastic.  Defensively he can guard basically any position on the floor, but having him guard opposing PF's, allowing Tatum to not get as much wear (especially on the interior), would be incredibly beneficial. 

Simmons as your 3rd best player in a tertiary role would really open up his game.  I think he'd be awesome next to Tatum and Brown.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #400 on: October 20, 2021, 11:22:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Your right, he's a poor fit as a guard, is not better than the J's, and is not a center. That makes him the perfect power forward, which coincidentally, is a position of need for the Celtics.

« Reply #401 on: October 20, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Your right, he's a poor fit as a guard, is not better than the J's, and is not a center. That makes him the perfect power forward, which coincidentally, is a position of need for the Celtics.

Perfect power forward, except that he insists he’s a PG and chafes at anyone who suggests otherwise.

« Reply #402 on: October 20, 2021, 11:52:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

PF is where Tatum will be getting the bulk of his minutes this year (like prior years).   the core problem with Simmons that you would acquire him for the purpose of starting him but start him in place of who?  not the J's obviously and they're playing both forward positions.  Simmons is not a guard that could provide shooting which we don't have with Smart, Richardson or Schroder (Romeo has looked good so far but he needs to show it in the regular season) so while Simmons is a better passer than any of them, he's worse as an offensive option.  Simmons isn't a center so he's not replacing whoever starts between Al and Timelord.

if the answer is to put Simmons at PF and slide Brown/Tatum down to SG and SF for defensive matchups (offensive matchups are pretty much dictated by the other team unless switches are made) that still leave 2 players that can't shoot from outside in Smart and Simmons and if Timelord's on the court, that's 3 non-shooters.  people were apoplectic when Rondo went unguarded from 18 feet and out and wouldn't shoot.  Imagine the fury here when Simmons goes unguarded outside of 12 feet and still won't shoot (or put up bricks) because he's yet to make any improvements to his game.

« Reply #403 on: October 20, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Perfect power forward, except that he insists he’s a PG and chafes at anyone who suggests otherwise.

Doesn't matter what you call him. He'd be the best passer on the team and operates in spots that allow Tatum/Brown to be volume guys and role players to spread the floor. Defensively, that trio is insane together. I think they'd be easy to build around.

« Reply #404 on: October 20, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Doesn't matter what you call him. He'd be the best passer on the team and operates in spots that allow Tatum/Brown to be volume guys and role players to spread the floor. Defensively, that trio is insane together. I think they'd be easy to build around.

If you pretend there is no set of off-court problems here and just look at basketball fit, I would agree that Boston might be the best place for Simmons to play in the NBA.

But what a fantasy that is. We are talking about a Rich Paul client here. That alone should end this conversation.

The things that derailed Simmons in Philly don't get any easier here. He still wouldn't be the man. He'd have an even tougher fan base, higher expectations, an even more no-nonsense team management, and he'd have to work behind two stars instead of one. He'd still have to face free throws at the end of playoff games. How could anyone think this could work out in Boston? When has this town ever embraced a quitter?

Can we just agree to let this go?