Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67279 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The main problem is his salary is so high. He's making superstar money, just as his perceived value declines. Making him a difficult fit for most teams. The "poor" 76ers are going to get .50 cents on the dollar.

I've watched interviews, heard everyones opinion and come to the conclusion if there was ever a player that needs a sports psychologist, it's him. He looks incredibly uncomfortable shooting the ball. On the negative side, we never hear that he's working hard in the off-season to improve, as Lonzo Ball did with his shooting mechanics.

Simmons has a very strong upside, if he could ever simply hit 75-80% on his free throws.

As the price declines, I wonder if the Celtics get involved?

Just throwing it out there...Smart for Simmons, plus a questionable contract, a future pick, and few salary fillers?     
I think this is true. Superstar money but he can't be trusted when it matters. If he was making $20 mil a year, everyone would want him as their #3. But it's tough to pay your #3 guy #1 money.

Simmons also wants to be a number 1 player but won't improve his game like number 1s do.

He does? He took a whopping 10 FGA's last season and a usage rate of 20% - nearly half of Embiid's usage rate. Ben has flaws but I he's not having any Marcus Smart moments and hijacking the offense.

You say that, but even Simmons' lowest usage rate (20.2% last year) is higher than Smart's highest ever (19.4% in 2017-18). For career averages, Ben is almost 25% higher than Smart (21.5% vs 17.5%). He doesn't act as the main offensive focal point (and no one on the 6ers other than Embiid should), but let's not pretend that he handles the ball or shoots less than Smart.

His usage rate isn't the real issue, though, it's that he provides absolutely no spacing at PG, but wants to play there. Put him at PF and he would be much more effective in the half-court, but will his pride let that happen? I'm not so sure. He needs to suck it up and do what the team needs, not just what he wants.

Also, Smart and Simmons FGA last season were 10.6 and 10.1 in 32.9 and 32.4 mpg, respectively.
But so many of Smart's attempts are 3 pointers, which he is really bad at, while Simmons takes almost all of his shots from 2 point range where he has a near elite percentage.  It isn't just attempts, but how those attempts are taken.  If you could some how cross the mentality of Smart and Simmons you'd have the near perfect player (basically Giannis)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2021, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Ben Simmons will not report for opening of training camp next week and intends to never play another game for the franchise. Simmons hasn’t spoken to team since a late August meeting when he communicated this message to Sixers officials.

So where does he go? I think Portland makes a lot of sense for both sides.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2021, 12:55:44 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
In his last 12 playoff games (this past season)

25 of 67 from the line

He is a significant liability from the line late in playoff games...maybe he should play for a "non playoff team" then? No worries.

« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2021, 12:58:12 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Trade with brooklyn for Kyrie is the smartest deal for both teams... well at least for Brooklyn.

Kyrie would destroy Philly's locker room, difference being Embiid wouldn't put up with it.

« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2021, 01:21:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: Philadelphia 76ers All-Star Ben Simmons will not report for opening of training camp next week and intends to never play another game for the franchise. Simmons hasn’t spoken to team since a late August meeting when he communicated this message to Sixers officials.

For McCollum and maybe something small? Toothpaste can’t really be put back in the tube now. This has gotten uglier faster than even I projected.

« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2021, 02:09:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

For McCollum and maybe something small? Toothpaste can’t really be put back in the tube now. This has gotten uglier faster than even I projected.

Would Portland be better after a McCollum / Simmons swap?  I am not so sure they would be.  Why take the risk?

I am not sure what Simmons is mad at PHI about.  What did PHI do wrong here, specific to Simmons?

« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2021, 02:17:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Trade with brooklyn for Kyrie is the smartest deal for both teams... well at least for Brooklyn.

Kyrie would destroy Philly's locker room, difference being Embiid wouldn't put up with it.
what specifically in embiid's past indicates to you that he is a team leader? much of what i have read about him talks about immaturity. maybe he has changed.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2021, 02:29:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Danny would have been itching to fleece Philly to heist Simmons  ;D

« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2021, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Could be. Tho after getting burned by Kyrie he might stay out of this sweepstakes for a talented-but-moody player.

« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What playoff-caliber team would even want him? He's a MASSIVE liability in the playoffs and that's a fact.

Even for some teams like Portland who might need a change, how does swapping McCollum for Simmons or something alike do anything really? It's not just the player, but the work ethic and character which for Simmons has clearly tanked lately
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think trading Kemba was our chance to get involved with Simmons.  Not sure we have anything left to offer unless you want to start talking Brown (which I don't).

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2021, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Would Portland be better after a McCollum / Simmons swap?  I am not so sure they would be.  Why take the risk?

I am not sure what Simmons is mad at PHI about.  What did PHI do wrong here, specific to Simmons?

Portlands defense is terrible and it’s pretty clear the CJ/Dame dynamic isn’t getting them far. I think it’s worth the risk and could make both teams better.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2021, 03:45:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
McCollum, Covington for Simmons, Curry

Seems like decent value.  Maybe Portland throws in a late 1st since Simmons is the best player in the trade
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2021, 03:51:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm still thinking it will be Minnesota.  Russell + Beasley + two #1s.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm still thinking it will be Minnesota.  Russell + Beasley + two #1s.

If they can get Simmons without giving up Edwards, great for them.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team