Author Topic: Cam Newton released  (Read 7938 times)

Re: Cam Newton released
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wonder if Cam not getting vaccinated was part of the equation.
It probably didn't help, but Cam was beaten out of the job by Jones.

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.
Except they treated Cam like the starter and Mac like the back-up all preseason.  Given the series, who they played with, etc.
Did they treat Cam that way or are you making assumptions based on who began the preseason games. Mac did get plenty of reps with first team personnel. He did shine in practice. He was there for every practice. And, regardless of who he played with and against, played better than Cam.

Only Belichick knows how he viewed and treated each QB. Judging by the release, your opinion on how each were treated and viewed is completely wrong.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Well, I didn't see that coming.
Just said to he same thing in two different texts to people.

But....Jones was clearly the better QB in preseason and his practices have been reported as off the charts good.

Right move.

There is no doubt that Jones was the better QB in the preseason and practice. However, I'm not sure the Patriots could get a better backup, at the same money, than Cam Newton at this point. I do wonder if Cam just asked for his release, after learning Jones was named the starter.

We'll have to wait to see if any other QB's are cut today, to help bolster the backup QB position, as Hoyer should be no higher than #3 on the depth chart.

Regardless of whether he asked for release or not you don't stick the guy who's job your young phenom just took behind the kid. You don't want him trying to undermine Jones in team meetings. You don't want him making snide comments to guys in the locker room.

You cut ties and move on with the Quarterback who never should have been available at your pick to begin with. Welcome to the Mac Jones era.

This.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
At the hospital I work at I noticed a small crowd near one of the waiting room TVs and was curious, and there I saw the news Cam Newton was released.

Got to admit, I was pretty stunned to hear it. Not only did I think he'd be here but I thought like many that he was already going to be QB #1 going into the season. I was actually more shocked about him being released than Brady announcing he was leaving last year lol (that felt more expected).

I wish Cam the best of luck. He was a great teammate and great leader here. Like others have said though, I think Mac Jones showed a lot in the preseason AND whether we like to admit it or not, I do think vaccination status will have a role with decisions around the league and this was no exception as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.
Except they treated Cam like the starter and Mac like the back-up all preseason.  Given the series, who they played with, etc.
Did they treat Cam that way or are you making assumptions based on who began the preseason games. Mac did get plenty of reps with first team personnel. He did shine in practice. He was there for every practice. And, regardless of who he played with and against, played better than Cam.

Only Belichick knows how he viewed and treated each QB. Judging by the release, your opinion on how each were treated and viewed is completely wrong.
Cam started every game.  He played with the starters every game.  He played a limited number of series, which is what you do with the starters.  The Patriots treated Cam like he was the starter, which makes the move and the timing of it very strange. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If the organization feels confident in Jones' ability to start, then I agree with the move. Cam was seemingly a great teammate and I certainly don't regret his time here, but he is older and it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. Honestly, this is actually great news if you're a Pats fan - Jones must really be impressing behind the scenes, as well.

Now to find a capable back-up QB. And whoever we pick up will no doubt know his role. Best of luck to Cam, wherever he may land.

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Cam started every game.  He played with the starters every game.  He played a limited number of series, which is what you do with the starters.  The Patriots treated Cam like he was the starter, which makes the move and the timing of it very strange.
Sorry you are wrong.

Just because Cam started doesn't mean he was treated as the starter. Belichick simply may have wanted to see if Cam could be the starter so gave him the opportunity to play with the starters figuring he could best determine if Cam has what it took to start by playing him with the best personnel.

Most starting QBs play at least one whole quarter of one preseason game and at least a half of another preseason game. That didn't happen. Cam got the quick hook and then Mac Jones played with the starters for a while.

Just because Cam auditioned with the starters before Jones doesn't mean he was treated as a starter. It's more like he was treated like a veteran getting to go first in the time each would audition for the starting position. That Cam got barely any playing time suggests he really wasn't being treated like a starter.

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 12:56:17 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
To me the shocking thing was that they ever re-signed him in the off-season. Cam Newton is just not a good QB anymore. His lack of accuracy is stunning.

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
To me the shocking thing was that they ever re-signed him in the off-season. Cam Newton is just not a good QB anymore. His lack of accuracy is stunning.

Not only did Mac outplay him. But also Hoyer did.

Newton signing in the offseason  .. nobody knew Pats would draft Mac in the 1st round

Newton really shot himself in the foot with not getting vaccinated/5 days off

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 01:25:16 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
So.... Mac > Cam

Cool, at least we know now that the Pats will start an at least C level QB

Edit: just noticed....Mac is Cam backwards! Its a sign! We'd go 9-7 this year if they hadnt added a game....so 10-7!

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 01:35:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
So.... Mac > Cam

Cool, at least we know now that the Pats will start an at least C level QB

Edit: just noticed....Mac is Cam backwards! Its a sign! We'd go 9-7 this year if they hadnt added a game....so 10-7!
I am with you. I literally just noticed this the other day, and I have been reading both of their names in the same sentence for months at this point.
#JKJB

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I say Cam ask for his release after Bill told him Jones is the starting QB..Cam is done as a starting QB since he had that shoulder injury
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 02:00:54 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Bill has outfoxed me as usual.

"Cam is our starting quarterback" maybe 6 weeks ago?
The media has been peppering Bill with "the question" since re signing Newton....Get it?

They re signed him and you think it is wrong to assume he was re signed as the starter?

The Krafts must have said something? They have a right to don't they? Belichick absolutely chucked last season. Newton was one of the main reasons.

I'm also shocked he'd start Jones with so little experience. Jones looked ok, but was not lights out, how could he be he's played what? One full NFL pre season game?

Hoyer is the only backup? Is Ainge a special advisor or something?

Considering how many times Jones is going to get decked this season I'd hope there would be another veteran QB coming off the wire this week, but, Bill is the guy with all the rings.

I might agree with you who said Cam asked for release. I'd assume Bill knew he wouldn't be a back up.

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 02:02:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
My one concern with Mac is his getting sacked. He got sacked 4 times vs Giants.  Granted didn't have first team offensive line, so hoping that he gets better protection, and can do a better job of getting rid of the ball before he gets hit.

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 02:07:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Sorry you are wrong.

Just because Cam started doesn't mean he was treated as the starter. Belichick simply may have wanted to see if Cam could be the starter so gave him the opportunity to play with the starters figuring he could best determine if Cam has what it took to start by playing him with the best personnel.

Most starting QBs play at least one whole quarter of one preseason game and at least a half of another preseason game. That didn't happen. Cam got the quick hook and then Mac Jones played with the starters for a while.

Just because Cam auditioned with the starters before Jones doesn't mean he was treated as a starter. It's more like he was treated like a veteran getting to go first in the time each would audition for the starting position. That Cam got barely any playing time suggests he really wasn't being treated like a starter.
You are acting like this year is the same as year's past it isn't.  The loss of a preseason game has changed what is normal.  For example, Josh Allen didn't play at all in the first two preseason games and played 3 series in the final one.  Brady played in 1 series the first game, didn't play the 2nd at all, and played in 2 series in the third game.  Lamar Jackson barely played in the preseason. Rodgers didn't play a single preseason game and he wasn't injured (so not like Dak), same with Russell Wilson.  Mahomes played a bit more than other clear starters, but not a ton either (and he didn't even make the whole half in their final game). 

Newton was treated like he was the starter.  He played with the 1st team offense and played limited series.  Just like other starting QB's.  That is what is so strange about both him being cut and the timing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I say Cam ask for his release after Bill told him Jones is the starting QB..Cam is done as a starting QB since he had that shoulder injury

I think he had two shoulder surgeries, 2017 and 2019, but I agree, last season he looked like someone throwing with a sore shoulder.  This season, I thought it looked better until the last game.  To me, the zip, the natural motion, was gone again.

There was a chance that Cam's shoulder was stronger this year and that he would know the reads better.  I guess it didn't happen.  He was given his shot.  He is a QB with a surgically repaired shoulder.  There wasn't enough there.