Author Topic: Cam Newton released  (Read 7932 times)

Cam Newton released
« on: August 31, 2021, 10:08:43 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Re: Cam Newton released
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 10:16:13 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow.  I wonder if Cam asked for his release rather than be a backup?  Otherwise it seems both unfair and unwise.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:18:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, I didn't see that coming.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:26:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just said to he same thing in two different texts to people.

But....Jones was clearly the better QB in preseason and his practices have been reported as off the charts good.

Right move.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I wonder if Cam not getting vaccinated was part of the equation.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It probably didn't help, but Cam was beaten out of the job by Jones.

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

But....Jones was clearly the better QB in preseason and his practices have been reported as off the charts good.

Right move.

There is no doubt that Jones was the better QB in the preseason and practice. However, I'm not sure the Patriots could get a better backup, at the same money, than Cam Newton at this point. I do wonder if Cam just asked for his release, after learning Jones was named the starter.

We'll have to wait to see if any other QB's are cut today, to help bolster the backup QB position, as Hoyer should be no higher than #3 on the depth chart.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
It probably didn't help, but Cam was beaten out of the job by Jones.

Jones might be too the early favorite for Offensive Rookie of the Year and my prediction is that at least 3 of the teams that selected QBs before Jones are going to long term regret not taking him.
Except they treated Cam like the starter and Mac like the back-up all preseason.  Given the series, who they played with, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Right move.

There is no doubt that Jones was the better QB in the preseason and practice. However, I'm not sure the Patriots could get a better backup, at the same money, than Cam Newton at this point. I do wonder if Cam just asked for his release, after learning Jones was named the starter.

We'll have to wait to see if any other QB's are cut today, to help bolster the backup QB position, as Hoyer should be no higher than #3 on the depth chart.

Regardless of whether he asked for release or not you don't stick the guy who's job your young phenom just took behind the kid. You don't want him trying to undermine Jones in team meetings. You don't want him making snide comments to guys in the locker room.

You cut ties and move on with the Quarterback who never should have been available at your pick to begin with. Welcome to the Mac Jones era.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm surprised. I thought Bill was going to stick with him given all the statements. I have a feeling him (possibly) being unvaccinated might have been the dealbreaker.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 10:50:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'm totally stunned.

I figured they'd keep Cam around for the year. All the players seem to love him. Plus its a long, long year (keep in mind, there are more games this season) and there are always injuries. I'd much prefer Cam to Hoyer.....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am stunned by this but I keep wondering, what is going through Mac Jones' head right now?  He is a very composed guy but he must be stunned.  Jones has looked ready in preseason games but this is suddenly a whole lotta pressure now on him.  He has a week to get used to it I guess.  It sure adds some excitement to the season.

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 10:57:58 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm surprised. I thought Bill was going to stick with him given all the statements. I have a feeling him (possibly) being unvaccinated might have been the dealbreaker.
There is speculation that Mac isn't vaccinated either. Unconfirmed, but I believe Mac declined to comment on his vaccination status.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 11:11:46 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Good riddance, Newton is horrible. Anyone who is surprised by this clearly tuned out last season.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Right move.

Regardless of whether he asked for release or not you don't stick the guy who's job your young phenom just took behind the kid. You don't want him trying to undermine Jones in team meetings. You don't want him making snide comments to guys in the locker room.

You cut ties and move on with the Quarterback who never should have been available at your pick to begin with. Welcome to the Mac Jones era.

Spartacus gets it. Cam currently runs the locker room. Bill knows Mac gives the team the best chance to win.

Hes sending a message to the team. There will be no division.  Mac is the Man for the job. Return of the Mac.