Author Topic: I still have Romeo over Nesmith  (Read 29478 times)

Re: I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2021, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Quote from: Surferdad
Nessie over Romeo. 

It's depressing to hear about the flaws in so many of our young guys....makes me think that Rob Williams III may be the only true good prospect.

You have temper that against what other similar prospects are doing. Almost all these young guys have holes in their game. A select few will become all stars, while the rest will have to emphasize their strengths and limit their weaknesses.

Brandon Clarke looked good his 1st year, but regressed his 2nd. Which player is he? Can he get better or is he what he is?

Matisse Thybulle has proven to be a solid defender and elite dusrupter, but his offense is atrocious. Can he learn to shoot or is unplayable except for a spot defender?

Trae Young. Elite offense offsets his very limited “defense”.

The list goes on and on.

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think these ^ are good reminders. And players are mostly drafted so young nowadays.

Still think Nesmith is on his way to being a good rotation player, but he may need another year or two.

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2021, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Nessie over Romeo. 

It's depressing to hear about the flaws in so many of our young guys....makes me think that Rob Williams III may be the only true good prospect.

You have temper that against what other similar prospects are doing. Almost all these young guys have holes in their game. A select few will become all stars, while the rest will have to emphasize their strengths and limit their weaknesses.

Brandon Clarke looked good his 1st year, but regressed his 2nd. Which player is he? Can he get better or is he what he is?

Matisse Thybulle has proven to be a solid defender and elite dusrupter, but his offense is atrocious. Can he learn to shoot or is unplayable except for a spot defender?

The list goes on and on.
You didn't actually lump Trae Young with those other dudes did you?!?  This must be a joke.

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
Nessie over Romeo. 

The list goes on and on.
You didn't actually lump Trae Young with those other dudes did you?!?  This must be a joke.

Not remotely a joke. It was intentional.

Not to state the obvious, <sigh> but he is there to illustrate that many young players; even all stars , can have holes in their game. Brandon and Matisse were chosen to illustrate that 2 players often chosen as substitute picks over Celtics players also have holes in their game.

As stated, the list of NBA players with holes in their game isn’t short. Even all stars. Romeo and Nesmith aren’t finished products. They can still improve. That they have flaws doesn’t mean they aren’t NBA players and can’t contribute. An elite skill is all it takes. A few elite skills can overshadow the flaws enough to make you an all star. I used Trae as an example, but it could have easily been Ben Simmons.

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
You can debate this forever, we will learn a lot more soon, when preseason gets started.  Neither player has really had a clean season with a normal training camp and preseason.  This could be the year for either or both to really show what they got.

I keep thinking of Avery Bradley.  He was really bad his first season (also very young) but you could see flashes of the ability.  He didn't average double figures in points until his 4th season (at a young 23 years) and from there, he settled in as a very decent guard in the NBA.

That is what I see for both Nesmith and Langford.  They will both be 22 in October, about a year younger than when Bradley kind of settled in.  Langford has durability issues that he needs to get through and that is always a kind of wild card but I feel either or both of Nesmith and Langford could develop into an Avery Bradley level player, which is not a bad outcome.  Much like Bradley, what I see are two players that have the ability in them but so far have not developed the required confidence and other mental/emotional aspects of the game.

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
CelticsBlog is running a "Scout's View" series.  First up is Nesmith.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/9/10/22666850/scouts-view-aaron-nesmith-boston-celtics?fbclid=IwAR3KtirIleX6bVLPusJwZxTV6zz0RVZzYbp8fL05lcjxavlwGC54HacuYwI

Read the entire article, which includes positive and negative thoughts on both offense and defense.  Here are the conclusions:

Overall Thoughts

Eastern Conference Scout 1: “We had him as a positive offensively and a slight negative defensively. We called him a “3-&-maybe-D” guy. I think he’ll definitely be at least a traditional 3&D guy now. Mostly because he competes so hard. And the rest of that team will cover for him when necessary. He’ll be a 20-minute a night rotation guy.”

Eastern Conference Scout 2: “He’s better than Romeo Langford and I bet he’s already past him in the pecking order for the Celtics. He can just do more stuff, and there is more upside. And he’s not hurt every other week. I bet he’s the top wing off the bench and plays at least 25 minutes a night.”

Eastern Conference Scout 3: “He’s a rotation guy. It’ll get messy at times, especially if he has to handle the ball. But 15-20 minutes a night on the wing is good for his second season.”

Western Conference Scout 1: “Because he can shoot and that team needs shooting, I bet he plays a lot. If (Dennis) Schroder will pass, Nesmith will get open shots. But I’m not sure that happens. And with the starters, he’s like the seventh option behind (Jayson) Tatum, (Jaylen) Brown, Tatum again, Brown again, then (Marcus) Smart and (Al) Horford. If he makes shots, great. If not, he won’t play much.”

Western Conference Scout 2: “He’ll be a favorite of (Ime) Udoka’s because of his hustle. That’s how he’ll get on the floor. But he’ll stay because of his shooting. If he can do something against hard closeouts, then you’ve got a double-digit scoring threat off the bench.”

Former Scout 1: “If he defends, he’ll be fine. He’ll play a lot. If not, he won’t play and they’ll keep trying other guys. I bet he starts out with 20 minutes a night off the bench. If he defends enough, and makes open shots, that role will grow.”

Former Scout 2: “I keep seeing that he could start. That would be a mess. Say he starts and you’re playing the Nets, Boston will be down early because KD (Kevin Durant), Kyrie (Irving) and (James) Harden will go after him relentlessly. He has to come off the bench and get protected matchup-wise. Otherwise, his confidence will get destroyed and that will impact his shot. 10-15 minutes a night off the bench would be good enough for now.”

Independent Analyst: “20 minutes a night off the bench and growing into becoming a starter eventually should be the goal for this year. I bet by the end of the year, he’s better and playing more than Josh Richardson. I’ve got him way ahead of Romeo Langford too. If he can hold up defensively and hit a shot or two per game off the dribble, he’ll be a key rotation guy. Probably not a starter this year, but when guys are out, Ime Udoka can put him in there and feel good about it.

I'm not sure who the independent analyst is, but I like his style, haha.  If he beats out Richardson, we're either in really good or really bad shape.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2021, 10:41:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Let me repeat, I still have Romeo over nesmith.

« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2021, 10:51:40 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Ditto.

« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2021, 10:54:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Nah, Nesmith>Romeo....for now anyway, hustles way too much.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 11:12:03 PM by 86MaxwellSmart »
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2021, 11:10:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This thread wasn't revived after the first preseason game. Curious.

I think Nesmith does just as well with the open looks Romeo got from playing alongside Tatum, Horford and Smart.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2021, 11:32:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Still have Nesmith as the better prospect.  Hope Romeo proves me wrong though.

« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2021, 12:03:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Still taking Nesmith too over Langford. Langford has looked smooth a few times but Nesmith’s shooting will prove to be more valuable. Not gonna lie, I’ve been impressed by Langford’s catch and shoot game though.
- LilRip

« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2021, 12:11:16 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I think Nesmith does just as well with the open looks Romeo got from playing alongside Tatum, Horford and Smart.

I didn’t watch the first preseason game, so I wouldn’t have revived it then.  But hitting the game-winning 3 certainly isn’t a demerit.

But I would note that Stevens gave Romeo the starts in the postseason when Jaylen was out, and now Udoka gave him the start in the preseason when Jaylen was out.  That’s two coaches who seem to have Romeo higher in the pecking order.

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2021, 12:54:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I didn’t watch the first preseason game, so I wouldn’t have revived it then.  But hitting the game-winning 3 certainly isn’t a demerit.

But I would note that Stevens gave Romeo the starts in the postseason when Jaylen was out, and now Udoka gave him the start in the preseason when Jaylen was out.  That’s two coaches who seem to have Romeo higher in the pecking order.
That makes sense to me. He's more experienced and the superior defender. I think Nesmith will have the better career, but Langford seems to have (touch wood) turned the corner with both health and confidence - that could make it a pretty near-run comparison.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2021, 10:48:04 AM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
 When Romeo's handles get a little better, and his confidence grows, he'll be hard to keep out of the lineup!