Author Topic: Grant Williams is...  (Read 4389 times)

Re: Grant Williams is...
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2021, 07:25:35 PM »

Kiorrik

Grant Williams is -22 in plus/minus on the season so essentially -1 per game.  He is a useful bench player.  Nothing wrong with that.

I would caution us about the usefulness of raw +/- numbers, since they tend to reflect the team's net while a player is on the floor. Consider that the Celtics are about a .500 team so far, and Grant is about a .500 +/- player if you look at the raw stat.

The Celtics as a team are +1.6 per game, Grant is about -1 per game.  Plus/Minus (nor any other individual stat) is not the end all but is is fairly representative in this case. 

We need Grant.  He is useful.  Not a bad thing.

We have 11 players who have played more than 150 minutes total (call it the core rotation).  Of those 11, Grant is the 3rd worst by plus/minus, Pritchard is -38 and Nesmith is -71.

Smart      +95
RWill        +93
Tatum      +68
Brown      +52
Schroder  +33
JRich       +24

Langford  +4

Horford   -21
GWill      -22
Pritch     -38
Nesmith  -71

The only outlier to me is Horford.  He plays a lot with Grant Williams.  212 minutes with Grant, -32.  305 minutes without Grant, +11.  Looked at the other way, Grant is +10 when not playing with Horford (241 minutes without Horford).  Hmmmm  Maybe I am on to something.  Maybe Grant and Horford should not be playing together.

212 minutes is about 10 minutes per game and we are giving up 3 pts every game in that time.  I admit that plus/minus can be flukey but this is 21 games and a lot of minutes with these two on the court together.

This is the scary thing about stats.

They start together a lot. Maybe the issue is we get slow out the gates.

They play with a bunch of other players a lot too. Maybe they're the issue.

There's so many ways stats can be spun, that even though you might think something is obvious, it could be something totally different causing it.

And that's regardless of whether it's true or not.

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 07:42:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Grant Williams is....Turning me into a chubby chaser.

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 08:22:24 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
A top 8 player on a playoff team and a guy I can see as the 8th man on a contender
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 10:14:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'd rank him on the same level as Theis when he was here. High IQ player with limited athleticism but plays with high energy.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 06:59:05 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Grant Williams is -22 in plus/minus on the season so essentially -1 per game.  He is a useful bench player.  Nothing wrong with that.

I would caution us about the usefulness of raw +/- numbers, since they tend to reflect the team's net while a player is on the floor. Consider that the Celtics are about a .500 team so far, and Grant is about a .500 +/- player if you look at the raw stat.

The Celtics as a team are +1.6 per game, Grant is about -1 per game.  Plus/Minus (nor any other individual stat) is not the end all but is is fairly representative in this case. 

We have 11 players who have played more than 150 minutes total (call it the core rotation).  Of those 11, Grant is the 3rd worst by plus/minus, Pritchard is -38 and Nesmith is -71.

Smart      +95
RWill        +93
Tatum      +68
Brown      +52
Schroder  +33
JRich       +24

Langford  +4

Horford   -21
GWill      -22
Pritch     -38
Nesmith  -71

The only outlier to me is Horford.  He plays a lot with Grant Williams.  212 minutes with Grant, -32.  305 minutes without Grant, +11.  Looked at the other way, Grant is +10 when not playing with Horford (241 minutes without Horford).  Hmmmm  Maybe I am on to something.  Maybe Grant and Horford should not be playing together.

212 minutes is about 10 minutes per game and we are giving up 3 pts every game in that time.  I admit that plus/minus can be flukey but this is 21 games and a lot of minutes with these two on the court together.

To me, it seems like those Grant/Horford stats say more about Rob Williams than it does about them. If they play together then Rob is on the bench (and the team plays worse), if only one is playing than they might be next to Rob.

Rob's 2nd highest +/- on the team seems to line up with that, too. It'd be interesting to see how much of their +10/+11 comes from playing next to Time Lord.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 07:51:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Smart      +95
RWill        +93
Tatum      +68
Brown      +52
Schroder  +33
JRich       +24

Langford  +4

Horford   -21
GWill      -22
Pritch     -38
Nesmith  -71

To me, it seems like those Grant/Horford stats say more about Rob Williams than it does about them. If they play together then Rob is on the bench (and the team plays worse), if only one is playing than they might be next to Rob.

Rob's 2nd highest +/- on the team seems to line up with that, too. It'd be interesting to see how much of their +10/+11 comes from playing next to Time Lord.
I think a lot of it stems from the simple fact that Grant Williams should never be starting.  He just isn't good enough to be a starting PF.  He is fine off the bench, but shouldn't start.  And I do think a lot of that - comes from the beginning of games and the 2nd half when Grant has been starting. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Grant Williams is…. the only 50/40/90 player in the NBA this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes