Author Topic: BR Report: Celtics interested in acquiring Lauri Markkanan?  (Read 14789 times)

Re: BR Report: Celtics interested in acquiring Lauri Markkanan?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Hold on...

The Celtics are talking about signing a player who isn't a guard?!

The guy is 7 feet tall? But he doesn't play guard right? This isn't some kind of trick? We've got 4 guards and are talking to a fifth, you're positive they aren't thinking of using Markkanan as a swing shooting guard playing off the ball and matching up with 6 footers?

All kidding aside, Horford is old, Robert is oft injured and Kanter is a coach...just talking to a forward is making me feel better.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Seems like Celtics are interested in everyone
Agents trying to create markets for their players.  Who do you think is feeding these 'rumors' to reporters? 

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Like him next to TL but after that not much fit unless the C's find another defensive switch capable big. Horford is a little past his athletic prime to expect him to get the tough covers.

I'm surprised LM doesn't feel a gunning open space team that Bulls can have is not a fit for him. My only guess is he wants to be a Center to be more a speed mismatch similar to how Tatum is a PF so much.

I'd still do a protected 1st, Smart, GW and Bruno for him if team signs Schro.

Schro, Brown, Tatum, TL, LM
PP, Rich, Nesmith, Parker, Horford
Dunn, Yam, Langford, Hauser, Kanter

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 02:38:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am torn on Markkanen.  I find the prospect very attractive but I also fear that he is not as good as I want him to be.
Yeah, I have a lot of fear with Markkanen as well. My fear is less about his individual talent and more geared to how his next team views and utilizes him.

(1) Do they see him as a PF?
(2) Or an undersized offensive orientated C?

(3) Are they willing to live with short term pain in terms of defense & rebounding while they train him up at C? Are they willing to live with what will likely be a mediocre defender / rebounder at center long term in order to have a high level offensive contribution from Markkanen on the other end?

I do think the talent is there but I also feel he is the type of player who is highly dependent on being in the right environment for that talent to come because of how unorthodox a player he is.

I hope he finds a coach and team who has the right vision for him but I am not optimistic. I feel like he has been typecast as a stretch four Dirk Nowitzki-lite type player and that that will work against him.

I'd much rather see him compared to Bob McAdoo.

Bob McAdoo, very underrated all time NBA Great.  Sure, I would take a modern day version of McAdoo or how about something more like McHale with worse defense but a 3 PT shot?

You raise a couple of other points, first, I don't think Markkanen would be undersized as a C.  He is 7'-0" and 240 lbs.  I don't think size is ever going to be the issue with him.  And as to adapting or transitioning him to a different role with the Celtics, so that he integrates the best with Tatum and Brown and his skill set, of course the team should be willing to experience some short term pain if you think he is the real deal.  I don't think you need to define him as a PF or C.  He can be a hybrid, like some SG-SF hybrid players or PG-SG combo guards.  Nothing wrong with being a combo big.  I think that would work itself out.  He would be best paired with (I sound like a food critic) a second more defensive, blue collar big or swing in any case.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 02:41:45 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
 Al
Lauri
Tatum
Brown
Schroeder

What a great lineup..put Tatum in his natural position
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
But to your point about his future being more at C instead of PF, I don't think that is a reason to do or not do a deal for him now.  Horford is likely gone after this season so there will be opportunity to play him wherever you want or where he plays best.  If we get him, the thinking should be long term, not short term. 

If you think he is a real deal big, regardless of PF or C, you try to get him.  Do you think he is a good fit alongside Brown and Tatum?  If so, you can work out the line ups.

(1) Definitely. Long term fit is the priority. I would view him as the long term center and then look to gradually reshape the team around him. So I'm not put off by the roster not being ideal for Markkanen right now. That is a non-issue for me.

We can change the roster and get it right for him whether it that happens early this season, midseason or next season. At some point, we'll get it right to get the maximum out of him. Otherwise, I would not sign him.

(2) Is he a good fit alongside Jaylen and Tatum?

Not particularly. No.

I feel the best fits with Markkanen would be ball-handling playmaking perimeter players. Players who can manipulate a defense with their passing and ball-handling to best exploit the spacing and matchup issues that Markkanen presents.

I see Tatum and Jaylen more as scoring forwards. And due to their scoring prowess, I'm not sure they benefit much from a player like Markkanen. They may be better off with a more defensive minded center who grabs lots of rebounds than a high scoring jump-shooting center. Or as well off on offense with a more limited spot up shooting center like M.Turner or B.Lopez.

------------------------------

I do like them as a quick-footed frontcourt trio:

F: Jaylen
F: Tatum
C: Markkanen

But that still leaves a lot of pressure on the guards to be able to run an uptempo run and gun offense which means you probably need a lot of cash leftover to sign good enough guards to make the most of that frontcourt. Doable but not easy. And much more difficult if Markkanen is indeed a big success as a high scoring center and warrants max money after this initial shorter contract expires.

Overall, I see a passer / scorer as a better fit as a third star alongside Jaylen and Tatum than just as a scorer like Markkanen is because that leaves big offensive gaps that still need to be filled.

Or at least provide enough high end defense or rebounding alongside the scoring as a 3rd star ... which Markkanen also does not provide.

So I do not view him as a particularly good fit. Not awful either, more mediocre.

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 02:55:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I doubt there’s any interest but if there was, the only way to get the best out of Lauri Markkanen is to play him as a centre next to a defensive minded forward.

Although I do like Markkanen he’s not quick enough to stay in front of wings, he’s not a rim protector and he’s an average to below average rebounder.

IMO he’s more Ryan Anderson then Dirk Nowitzki.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I doubt there’s any interest but if there was, the only way to get the best out of Lauri Markkanen is to play him as a centre next to a defensive minded forward.

Although I do like Markkanen he’s not quick enough to stay in front of wings, he’s not a rim protector and he’s an average to below average rebounder.

He's not Dirk, but he's not Anderson, either.  Watch the first highlight in this clip.  Anderson couldn't do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUWELkGjro

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
LM would be a great fit next to Rob.  I wish there was a way to get him on this team moving Tatum and Brown to the PF and SF spots.  LM could plan a small ball 5 as well.  IMO he's a great fit on this team.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 03:11:59 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

He's not Dirk, but he's not Anderson, either.  Watch the first highlight in this clip.  Anderson couldn't do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzUWELkGjro

Yes, you’re right he’s definitely more talented then Anderson but I meant he’s closer to his level then to Dirk’s.

I thought I might be too hard on Lauri but after listening to this Bulls fan I think I’m on the money

https://youtu.be/aklfFTpmoDk
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Interesting discussion.

I think it boils down to just how willful and competitive he is. It's OK to be skilled but have major flaws like he has, but... does he really compete? I haven't watched enough of him to know, but my impression is that no, he isn't a particularly competitive guy.

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Interesting discussion.

I think it boils down to just how willful and competitive he is. It's OK to be skilled but have major flaws like he has, but... does he really compete? I haven't watched enough of him to know, but my impression is that no, he isn't a particularly competitive guy.

I think he competes when he is involved in the game and becomes passive when he is ignored ...

Which happened a heck of a lot in Chicago especially these last two years. He was used off the ball far too often as a spot up shooter and he did not respond well to it. He is a scorer more than a spot up shooter. He needs to be in and around the ball. He needs to be in attack-mode.

Happy players work harder.

Unhappy players - some work, some coast. He coasts.

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 03:24:28 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
But to your point about his future being more at C instead of PF, I don't think that is a reason to do or not do a deal for him now.  Horford is likely gone after this season so there will be opportunity to play him wherever you want or where he plays best.  If we get him, the thinking should be long term, not short term. 

If you think he is a real deal big, regardless of PF or C, you try to get him.  Do you think he is a good fit alongside Brown and Tatum?  If so, you can work out the line ups.

(1) Definitely. Long term fit is the priority. I would view him as the long term center and then look to gradually reshape the team around him. So I'm not put off by the roster not being ideal for Markkanen right now. That is a non-issue for me.

We can change the roster and get it right for him whether it that happens early this season, midseason or next season. At some point, we'll get it right to get the maximum out of him. Otherwise, I would not sign him.

(2) Is he a good fit alongside Jaylen and Tatum?

Not particularly. No.

I feel the best fits with Markkanen would be ball-handling playmaking perimeter players. Players who can manipulate a defense with their passing and ball-handling to best exploit the spacing and matchup issues that Markkanen presents.

I see Tatum and Jaylen more as scoring forwards. And due to their scoring prowess, I'm not sure they benefit much from a player like Markkanen. They may be better off with a more defensive minded center who grabs lots of rebounds than a high scoring jump-shooting center. Or as well off on offense with a more limited spot up shooting center like M.Turner or B.Lopez.

------------------------------

I do like them as a quick-footed frontcourt trio:

F: Jaylen
F: Tatum
C: Markkanen

But that still leaves a lot of pressure on the guards to be able to run an uptempo run and gun offense which means you probably need a lot of cash leftover to sign good enough guards to make the most of that frontcourt. Doable but not easy. And much more difficult if Markkanen is indeed a big success as a high scoring center and warrants max money after this initial shorter contract expires.

Overall, I see a passer / scorer as a better fit as a third star alongside Jaylen and Tatum than just as a scorer like Markkanen is because that leaves big offensive gaps that still need to be filled.

Or at least provide enough high end defense or rebounding alongside the scoring as a 3rd star ... which Markkanen also does not provide.

So I do not view him as a particularly good fit. Not awful either, more mediocre.

All good analysis, none of us know, we are all just opining.  The way I look at it is how does Markkanen support Brown and Tatum more than I worry about how Tatum and Brown would bring out Markkanen's game.  I see a skilled, scoring big like him being perfect to create space on offense for Tatum and Brown.  Whether it is pick and roles or fast break early offense, tip ins when they double Tatum, whatever.  Like Porzingis is supposed to be for Doncic in Dallas.  Or what Sabonis is doing in Indy.  Or Randle in NYK.  Even as compared to Porzingis, Sabonis, and Randle, each of them is being asked to be the second best or best player (and making a lot more money).  We would be asking Markkanen to be the third best and paying him $15M (at least to start).  Markkanen would be so much better than any of our recent bigs, either PF or C.

You can get more defense and rebounding from the other players (although Markkanen is not a bad rebounder statistically).  Say a PJ Tucker type as the second big/swing.  And then you would want a pass first, defensive PG who can penetrate (maybe that is Schroder).  For now though, he would be our PF and that is fine.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/08/celtics-have-shown-interest-in-lauri-markkanen-is-there-a-realistic-path-to-acquiring-bulls-restricted-free-agent.html

What would it take for us to get him in a sign and trade? Is he our future power forward? Is he capable of playing that position alongside Al or Rob?

He has a beautiful shooting stroke, but his percentage declined somewhat.

Untrue, his minutes went down, but his percentages (except for ft%) were the best of his career 58/40/82 59eFG%

Thanks, I should have checked. I recalled incorrectly.

If he can defend centers, and Rob can defend power forwards (he started to show that ability in the Nets series IMO), they could make a very good tandem on the floor together, especially on the offensive end, as Markkanen is a great stretch 3 point shooter, and Rob is such a vertical threat inside. 

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Markkanan
Rob Williams

is a nice long lineup.  Of course we would have to adjust for the bigger centers such as Embiid (in which case swap Kanter in for Williams).

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Could we acquire Maxi Kleber if that helps Dallas in their attempts to land Markkanen??

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1425180795342360584?s=20