Author Topic: Bill Russell is selling most of his memorabilia  (Read 3336 times)

Bill Russell is selling most of his memorabilia
« on: July 22, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
BOSTON (AP) — The most decorated man in NBA history will be giving the public a chance to own some of the prized memorabilia from his Hall of Fame career.

Bill Russell announced Thursday he is offering hundreds of items from his personal collection, including trophies, rings, basketballs, jerseys, letters, photos and other keepsakes. The items span his 13-year career as a player and coach for the Boston Celtics, and also feature mementos chronicling his work during the civil rights movement and beyond.

Highlights of the trove include the first (1957) and last (1969) of the NBA-record 11 championship rings he won in Boston, four of his five NBA Most Valuable Player trophies and his 1956 U.S. men’s basketball Olympic gold medal.

“There are a few pictures I’ll keep for myself, but the rest I will share with the world,” Russell said in a video statement.

The sale will be conducted by Hunt Auctions, which has overseen the auctions of such sports greats as Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Roberto Clemente, Gale Sayers, Johnny Unitas.

The auction is tentatively scheduled for Boston this fall or winter.

Russell said another reason he decided to sell the items was to provide a portion of the proceeds for the Boston-based nonprofit MENTOR, which he co-founded more than three decades ago. The group’s aim is to strengthen mentoring relationships.

An additional donation will be made to Boston Celtics United for Social Justice, which focuses on addressing racial and social inequities in the Boston area.

Hunt Auctions President Dave Hunt said his group is honored to handle Russell’s collection.

“There’s not a lot of folks at Bill Russell’s level. The air gets real thin,” Hunt said. “There’s just certain names of certain players that just transcend the sport, that changed the sport.”

It is unclear how much any one of Russell's items will bring, but similar auctions overseen by Hunt have delivered big numbers. The most notable was in 2019 when a rare, game-worn Babe Ruth Yankees road jersey dating to 1928-30 sold for $5.64 million. The auctioneer said that broke the record for the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia sold.

Hunt notes that among the items Russell is keeping is the Presidential Medal of Freedom given to him in 2011 by Barack Obama.

There's also the letter Jackie Robinson wrote to Russell after he and other Black Celtics players boycotted a game in Lexington, Kentucky, after being denied service at a hotel.

“It’s just an amazing piece and it’s very difficult to put a monetary value on an item like that," Hunt said. "But what better way for this to be shared than directly from the person who participated, and doing good as well as a result of that offering.”

Any rich folks out there?

Honestly, I wish that Wyc would make him an offer for the entire collection, and start a Celtics museum. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Bill Russell is selling most of his memorabilia
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
BOSTON (AP) — The most decorated man in NBA history will be giving the public a chance to own some of the prized memorabilia from his Hall of Fame career.

Bill Russell announced Thursday he is offering hundreds of items from his personal collection, including trophies, rings, basketballs, jerseys, letters, photos and other keepsakes. The items span his 13-year career as a player and coach for the Boston Celtics, and also feature mementos chronicling his work during the civil rights movement and beyond.

Highlights of the trove include the first (1957) and last (1969) of the NBA-record 11 championship rings he won in Boston, four of his five NBA Most Valuable Player trophies and his 1956 U.S. men’s basketball Olympic gold medal.

“There are a few pictures I’ll keep for myself, but the rest I will share with the world,” Russell said in a video statement.

The sale will be conducted by Hunt Auctions, which has overseen the auctions of such sports greats as Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Roberto Clemente, Gale Sayers, Johnny Unitas.

Russell said another reason he decided to sell the items was to provide a portion of the proceeds for the Boston-based nonprofit MENTOR, which he co-founded more than three decades ago. The group’s aim is to strengthen mentoring relationships.

An additional donation will be made to Boston Celtics United for Social Justice, which focuses on addressing racial and social inequities in the Boston area.

Hunt Auctions President Dave Hunt said his group is honored to handle Russell’s collection.

“There’s not a lot of folks at Bill Russell’s level. The air gets real thin,” Hunt said. “There’s just certain names of certain players that just transcend the sport, that changed the sport.”

It is unclear how much any one of Russell's items will bring, but similar auctions overseen by Hunt have delivered big numbers. The most notable was in 2019 when a rare, game-worn Babe Ruth Yankees road jersey dating to 1928-30 sold for $5.64 million. The auctioneer said that broke the record for the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia sold.

Hunt notes that among the items Russell is keeping is the Presidential Medal of Freedom given to him in 2011 by Barack Obama.

There's also the letter Jackie Robinson wrote to Russell after he and other Black Celtics players boycotted a game in Lexington, Kentucky, after being denied service at a hotel.

“It’s just an amazing piece and it’s very difficult to put a monetary value on an item like that," Hunt said. "But what better way for this to be shared than directly from the person who participated, and doing good as well as a result of that offering.”

Honestly, I wish that Wyc would make him an offer for the entire collection, and start a Celtics museum.
that would be a noble idea if Wyc did that.  the question is how much all the items would cost in a package to start that museum.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 01:26:15 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Maybe I can actually grab something at a bargain price.  Since Russell had so many rings, maybe there's more supply than demand!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I always thought the Celtics should have added a museum section when they built their new training facility.

Given the important historical significance of many Russell items, you’d hope a wealthy beneficiary would donate any winnings to a museum.

According to the Boston Globe, 25 billionaires in Massachusetts are worth more than $104 billion combined. Surely they could scrape a few pennies together.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 02:26:00 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I always thought the Celtics should have added a museum section when they built their new training facility.

Given the important historical significance of many Russell items, you’d hope a wealthy beneficiary would donate any winnings to a museum.

According to the Boston Globe, 25 billionaires in Massachusetts are worth more than $104 billion combined. Surely they could scrape a few pennies together.

Bill Russell should have his own wing at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Wish they would expand and make it into more of a museum.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Bill Russell should have his own wing at the Basketball Hall of Fame. Wish they would expand and make it into more of a museum.

Bill Russell should have been the NBA logo, period.

No sports journalist has the guts to point out that the NBA only picked Jerry West because he was a likeable, WHITE star. It is just a lucky coincidence that West went on to have a 40 year association with the league at every level.

At the time, the NBA league office wanted to show the nation they weren't a black league and bring in a missing audience demographic of conservative whites. When they decided to make West the logo in 1969, he wasn't even NBA champion yet, in fact, West was actually a 6 times loser in the finals (all to Russell's Celtics).

If you were colorblind and just looked at Russell's resume, leadership, athleticism and selflessness, you'd choose Bill Russell ever time...this isn't even taking into account all he did for charities and human rights.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 06:03:35 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Really cool of him to share some of his stuff while he can still see where it goes to, and make donations from the proceeds. Bill is a star.

I'd definitely like Wyc to buy the rings and trophies
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 09:02:53 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586

Russell's 1956 U.S. men’s basketball Olympic gold medal...

Joe Fortenberry's 1936 basketball gold medal was valued at $175,000

Russell's rookie contract was $24,000 ($239,000 in today's dollars)

Russell would have been in the US Olympic high jump, rules forbade him from participating in both events.

Media folks say you can't compare Russell to the "modern NBA athlete".

B.S. with all of the modern training advantages' he'd be top five today along with the fact that he wanted to kill the guy he was up against.

He read all of the NBA center's news clippings every day looking for an edge.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Russell would have been in the US Olympic high jump, rules forbade him from participating in both events.

B.S. with all of the modern training advantages' he'd be top five today along with the fact that he wanted to kill the guy he was up against.

Bill Russell would've been a Tom Brady-like film room addict in the modern NBA
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Bill Russell to sell memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Bill probably earned very little in his playing days, but this stings. I feel like the NBA should have some system in place when league legends (not OJ) don't need to sell to make money. I don't know if the NBA should buy everything, or how a system should work, but something about this just seems off...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Selling some valuables for charity is noble indeed, but I will never get selling championship rings, of which Russell has the most. Then this decision to move out of his long-time lake home in Washington while leaving the built-in memorabilia displays intact for the next resident even though he is planning to remain in the area ? Medical reasons maybe ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 10:15:26 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Bill Russell would've been a Tom Brady-like film room addict in the modern NBA
Imagine what he can do with tracking data :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA