Author Topic: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons  (Read 12007 times)

Re: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 04:51:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It makes sense. They're looking at Simmons as a 25 year old whose mad 3 all star teams, and all NBA team, and 2 all defense teams. That resume, at that age, suggests the price should be incredibly high.

But the rest of the league is looking at a 4 year vet who hasn't improved his game at all for as long as he's been in the NBA and who always flames out in the playoffs specifically because he doesn't improve, or seem interested in improving, in some of the fundamental aspects of his game.

So I get why they want a lot for Simmons but they're not going to get it. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
"At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios," David Aldridge of The Athletic wrote Monday.

A league exec recently told Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix the Sixers "want what Boston got for KG and Pierce" in exchange for Simmons.

lol...right. after he value is the lowest it has been for a while.  good luck with that Philly.

It could actually be comparable.

Remember Pierce & Garnett were pretty washed, there were also pick swaps involved and people forget that Ainge took on several bad contracts too.
Not really comparable. Ainge knew he had no choice but to bottom out the roster, taking bad contracts wasn't going to really hurt. Philly isn't going to agree to that with Embiid still on board.

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 04:53:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
"At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios," David Aldridge of The Athletic wrote Monday.

A league exec recently told Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix the Sixers "want what Boston got for KG and Pierce" in exchange for Simmons.

lol...right. after he value is the lowest it has been for a while.  good luck with that Philly.

It could actually be comparable, remember Pierce & Garnett were pretty washed, there were also pick swaps involved and people forget that Ainge took on several bad contracts too.

I guess maybe to a bad team with nothing to lose, and no chance of being in the playoffs it might make sense?

I don’t think so. Giving up four number ones is worse for bad teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We didn’t get 4 picks and an All-star.  We got 3 picks plus a swap, and a lot of bad salary, one of which had three years left and took up about 20% of the cap at the time.

I mean, maybe you are forgetting, but Gerald Wallace was an All-Star...just not when we acquired him

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 04:56:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

It could actually be comparable, remember Pierce & Garnett were pretty washed, there were also pick swaps involved and people forget that Ainge took on several bad contracts too.

I guess maybe to a bad team with nothing to lose, and no chance of being in the playoffs it might make sense?

I don’t think so. Giving up four number ones is worse for bad teams.

Possibly yes, depends on what team it is, what market and their history. 

I guess my bigger point is that I don't see Philly getting 4 first round picks for BS after the playoffs that he just had.  Plus he has a huge contract for a guy who can't make a free throw and will never shoot a 3.  Do you want to be the GM that swings big and misses on rehabbing BS?  I don't think the list of suitors will be very long.

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 05:05:43 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I'd be willing to pay that price, but that's just me. I fully understand that Simmons is a polarizing player.

Smart + Fournier (signed and traded) + 3 firsts + 1 more first via trading Timelord to a 3rd team

Unfortunately, it seems like Fournier to the Knicks might be a done deal. If ony Brad hadn't jumped the gun to trade Kemba.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 05:15:38 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2021, 05:25:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

We didn’t get 4 picks and an All-star.  We got 3 picks plus a swap, and a lot of bad salary, one of which had three years left and took up about 20% of the cap at the time.

I mean, maybe you are forgetting, but Gerald Wallace was an All-Star...just not when we acquired him

Well, when we resign IT we can flip him and Horford at the trade deadline, so that’ll be TWO all-stars.

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2021, 05:41:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Lol in their dreams. Simmons is not all that rah rah. They can keep him so Embiid can demand a trade for himself to get out of Philly as their dysfunctional problem continues.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 04:19:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Imo, we should go after him. I'd rather have Simmons over Beal. He'd be a great fit alongside the Jays, plus he's only 25 years old. In a vacuum, Beal > Simmons, but we aren't building in a vacuum. We are building around the Jays.

Sure, the Sixers want picks. Give them the freaking picks! A big 3 of Tatum, Brown and Simmons would transform us into legit contenders for years to come. I'm perfectly fine trading away a couple of firsts in the 20-30 range.

(click on image to enlarge)

Josh Richardson cannot be traded aggregated with other players till August 18. No big deal. We can complete the trade on August 18.

PG: Pritchard - Dunn - Edwards
SG: Brown - Romeo
SF: Tatum - Nesmith
PF: Simmons - Jabari - Grant
C: Horford -

If you ask me, we'd be the #1 favorites to come out of the East with this team. Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit. We'd have access to our TPE. Plenty of serviceable vets are still available.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:03:31 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Imo, we should go after him. I'd rather have Simmons over Beal. He'd be a great fit alongside the Jays, plus he's only 25 years old. In a vacuum, Beal > Simmons, but we aren't building in a vacuum. We are building around the Jays.

Sure, the Sixers want picks. Give them the freaking picks! A big 3 of Tatum, Brown and Simmons would transform us into legit contenders for years to come. I'm perfectly fine trading away a couple of firsts in the 20-30 range.

(click on image to enlarge)

Josh Richardson cannot be traded aggregated with other players till August 18. No big deal. We can complete the trade on August 18.

PG: Pritchard - Dunn - Edwards
SG: Brown - Romeo
SF: Tatum - Nesmith
PF: Simmons - Jabari - Grant
C: Horford -

If you ask me, we'd be the #1 favorites to come out of the East with this team. Fill the remaining roster spots as you see fit. We'd have access to our TPE. Plenty of serviceable vets are still available.

I doubt that would make us the #1 favorites in the East but I do think it improves us tremendously with moving the ball and defense. I like it actually. I highly doubt though that Philly is interested in trading with us in general or trading to a direct rival. I would say that a move like that could put us in top 4 in the East. Right now I have us in the 6-8 range. I think if we had Beal now we would still be in the top 4 but not favorites. So do we want it now or do we want it next year if everything falls into place? I am not that patient to wait.

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 07:55:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Simmons, has no heart, wilts under pressure and can be contained with a zone.  He refuses to work on his three point shot.  He passed up a layup or dunk in a clutch point in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHA4UhYuQY

Even Embiid did not like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEjd0u3-VeI

Hence, Ben Simmons should never ever, wear Celtics Green, PERIOD

All that talent, mental toughness of a wet kleenex

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I think Simmons would fit for us as a big. Based on the roster, we're not going to be a traditional 1-5 lineup, no real 4, we're going with a 3 wing lineup. Simmons would be the ideal big defender with our team, able to switch on anyone, and his vision would be a boon for the J's on the other end of the court. Although I'm not sure he's at the point in his career where's he's going to be a full complimentary player like that. But with the pressure off, he might develop a little bit of a jump shot. Horford barely took a 3 his first 7-8 years in the league, but eventually became a decent shooter.

Having said all that, we don't have anything to trade Philly for him. But I do like his fit a lot more than Beal. I love Beal's game, but he just brings more of what we already have with JT & JB.

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't see any way for BOS to get Ben Simmons. Philly are in a win-now mode. BOS do not have any trade packages that make sense for such a team outside of Jaylen or Tatum who are clearly far superior to Simmons so that does not make sense for BOS.

Philly do not want a bunch of future picks. At least not just future picks. They need established star talent heading back their way to maintain / improve their title dreams. This is not a rebuilding team planning for the future. BOS cannot make a compelling trade offer to a team like this.

Ben Simmons for now at least is a pipe dream. Maybe in a few year's time, he can be back in play if things go badly on his next team(s) and Boston can nab him then. But not now.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I don't see any way for BOS to get Ben Simmons. Philly are in a win-now mode. BOS do not have any trade packages that make sense for such a team outside of Jaylen or Tatum who are clearly far superior to Simmons so that does not make sense for BOS.

Philly do not want a bunch of future picks. At least not just future picks. They need established star talent heading back their way to maintain / improve their title dreams. This is not a rebuilding team planning for the future. BOS cannot make a compelling trade offer to a team like this.

Ben Simmons for now at least is a pipe dream. Maybe in a few year's time, he can be back in play if things go badly on his next team(s) and Boston can nab him then. But not now.
Here's their asking price, according to The Athletic:

"At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios. Philly has engaged in discussions with teams around the league since mid-July".

If this is accurate, he ain't a pipe dream.

@ETNCeltics
Totally agree that he'd be at his best as a Point Center. I listed him at PF only because we already got Horford. If we trade for Simmons, I'd expect him to provide cover at the 5 as well.

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2021, 10:45:08 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Should GS consider trying to trade for Simmons?

Wiggins, Kuminga and a first for Simmons..

The Philadelphia 76ers guard no longer is speaking to the team and would accept a trade to the Golden State Warriors, KRON’s Jason Dumas reported Thursday, citing a source. Trade rumors have surrounded Simmons for several weeks, and the Warriors are among the teams the 76ers reportedly have sought out as potential trade partners.

“Source: Ben Simmons has cut off communication with basically everyone in the Sixers organization,” Dumas wrote in a tweet. “Everything is going thru his agent, Rich Paul. Ben is open to going to the GSWs though he doesn’t have much leverage in the situation.”
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 11:02:24 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.