Author Topic: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons  (Read 12009 times)

Re: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Simmons needs to change a lot to become a superstar.

People give him the benefit of the doubt because he was the #1 pick. If he was the #15th pick, he wouldn't attract nearly as much attention.

Simmons is just another guy. I think Philly could have Harden or another player on their roster now if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.

I get people are down on him with the playoffs fresh in everyone's minds, but Ben is still a 24 year old who's made 3 All-Star teams, 2 All-Defensive 1st teams, and was a All-NBA selection a year ago.

The All Star game is a popularity contest and shouldn’t be used as a measuring stick for how good of a player someone is.   All-NBA is a much more reliable tool, though we can see this year that legacy and popularity influence that as well.  So really using that as your sole means of judging a player is flawed.

Ben puts up great stats but it’s become really apparent that he’s not a true #1 on a contending team.  He’s too much of a flawed player.

So to say that you should be getting a player back that IS a true #1, like Lillard, is laughable.  All that goes out the window though if a player like Lillard demands a trade, which is why a teams star player demanding a trade is such a ball buster for his team.  The value just instantly plummets.
Greg

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2021, 01:51:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I still like Simmons, more than I like say Lonzo Ball, but he does not have franchise player level value right now coming off that post season.
What do you mean by franchise player value?

If you mean:

(a) his current performance levels are not equivalent to a franchise player, I agree with you.

(b) his current trade value is not good enough to get a franchise player who is not forcing his way / or his team is in fear of him forcing his way out in the near future, I agree with you.

but

(c) his current trade value is not good enough to get a franchise talent who is forcing his way out or his team is in fear of him leaving in the near future, then I disagree.

I believe Ben Simmons is plenty valuable enough to net a franchise player in that scenario. He has a tantalizing array of size, athleticism and skills plus there is reason to believe he could do better without Embiid clogging the paint whereby Ben could better utilize his talents.

That is a very good return for a team who has little to no leverage and is losing their star regardless. A very competitive offer.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2021, 02:21:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

People give him the benefit of the doubt because he was the #1 pick. If he was the #15th pick, he wouldn't attract nearly as much attention.

Simmons is just another guy. I think Philly could have Harden or another player on their roster now if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.

I get people are down on him with the playoffs fresh in everyone's minds, but Ben is still a 24 year old who's made 3 All-Star teams, 2 All-Defensive 1st teams, and was a All-NBA selection a year ago.

The All Star game is a popularity contest and shouldn’t be used as a measuring stick for how good of a player someone is.   All-NBA is a much more reliable tool, though we can see this year that legacy and popularity influence that as well.  So really using that as your sole means of judging a player is flawed.

Ben puts up great stats but it’s become really apparent that he’s not a true #1 on a contending team.  He’s too much of a flawed player.

So to say that you should be getting a player back that IS a true #1, like Lillard, is laughable.  All that goes out the window though if a player like Lillard demands a trade, which is why a teams star player demanding a trade is such a ball buster for his team.  The value just instantly plummets.

First and foremost, you're claiming I said things that I simply did not. My point about Ben is that he's a 24 year old player that has already had individual success and has contributed to winning basketball at least in the regular season. He has flaws, but I have a really hard time believing a few GM's aren't intrigued by his talent and the possibility of seeing what he can do away from Embiid in a run & gun offense. And of course, there'll be plenty of GM's who believe they can fix his shot.

Despite whatever issues he has, I don't think his value is nearly as low as some would like to think. An injury prone player in Brogdon and a middling 1st isn't good value for him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The coaches made Simmons an all star. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I still like Simmons, more than I like say Lonzo Ball, but he does not have franchise player level value right now coming off that post season.

If you mean:

(a) his current performance levels are not equivalent to a franchise player, I agree with you.

(b) his current trade value is not good enough to get a franchise player who is not forcing his way / or his team is in fear of him forcing his way out in the near future, I agree with you.

but

(c) his current trade value is not good enough to get a franchise talent who is forcing his way out or his team is in fear of him leaving in the near future, then I disagree.

I believe Ben Simmons is plenty valuable enough to net a franchise player in that scenario. He has a tantalizing array of size, athleticism and skills plus there is reason to believe he could do better without Embiid clogging the paint whereby Ben could better utilize his talents.

That is a very good return for a team who has little to no leverage and is losing their star regardless. A very competitive offer.

I guess the original article said "an all star caliber player" not franchise so maybe that is more clear.  It sounds to me that Philly is expecting at least a Jaylen Brown level player if not better.  I don't think they are going to get that.  Now if they want to go the disgruntled star route, maybe they get a Harden type or maybe they think they can get Leonard or something.  I am not sure if anyone like that is going to be available but sure, if they want to hold out for a disgruntled star, they can do that.

Brogdon is not an all star but I believe he was rookie of the year.  He would be good on the Sixers.  As I said earlier, Brogdon and a Pick doesn't make sense but Brogdon and Warren?  Philly will not do better than that.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2021, 03:46:41 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

If you mean:

but

I guess the original article said "an all star caliber player" not franchise so maybe that is more clear.  It sounds to me that Philly is expecting at least a Jaylen Brown level player if not better.  I don't think they are going to get that.  Now if they want to go the disgruntled star route, maybe they get a Harden type or maybe they think they can get Leonard or something.  I am not sure if anyone like that is going to be available but sure, if they want to hold out for a disgruntled star, they can do that.

Brogdon is not an all star but I believe he was rookie of the year.  He would be good on the Sixers.  As I said earlier, Brogdon and a Pick doesn't make sense but Brogdon and Warren?  Philly will not do better than that.

I hadn't thought of Kawhi. But if he's unhappy with his medicals, why not?

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Zero Heart, too lazy to improve on a glaring weakness, crumbles under pressure........

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2021, 05:58:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

Zero Heart, too lazy to improve on a glaring weakness, crumbles under pressure........

BINGO! The only way to acquire Simmons is on sale.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2021, 06:27:19 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Brodgon and 13 seems like a reasonable deal.
I agree.  Good thing Philly is overestimating Simmons value.

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
As Celtics fans, we should root for Philly to hold Simmons as it means wasting years of a dominant Joel Embiid.

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 04:38:30 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
"At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios," David Aldridge of The Athletic wrote Monday.

A league exec recently told Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix the Sixers "want what Boston got for KG and Pierce" in exchange for Simmons.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
"At minimum, the Sixers are seeking control of at least four future first-round picks via direct trade or pick swaps, along with an All-Star-level player in most (but not all) scenarios," David Aldridge of The Athletic wrote Monday.

A league exec recently told Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix the Sixers "want what Boston got for KG and Pierce" in exchange for Simmons.

lol...right. after his value is the lowest it has been for a while.  sounds like a lot of posturing. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:48:28 PM by blink »

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

We didn’t get 4 picks and an All-star.  We got 3 picks plus a swap, and a lot of bad salary, one of which had three years left and took up about 20% of the cap at the time.

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2021, 04:46:01 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

lol...right. after he value is the lowest it has been for a while.  good luck with that Philly.

It could actually be comparable.

Remember Pierce & Garnett were pretty washed, there were also pick swaps involved and people forget that Ainge took on several bad contracts too.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

lol...right. after he value is the lowest it has been for a while.  good luck with that Philly.

It could actually be comparable, remember Pierce & Garnett were pretty washed, there were also pick swaps involved and people forget that Ainge took on several bad contracts too.

I guess maybe to a bad team with nothing to lose, and no chance of being in the playoffs it might make sense?