Author Topic: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons  (Read 11999 times)

Re: 76ers have their minimum for Simmons
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Value isn't near good enough even if Brogdon would be a great fit there.

I agree.

Me too. You gotta be looking at guys the caliber of a James Harden, a Damian Lillard or at least a Bradley Beal in return for Ben Simmons.

Not a Malcolm Brogdon. And certainly not a player who is only as good as Brogdon is but comes with a ton of injury issues as well. Not a good return.

I disagree.  Simmons hasn't shown to be some great player in the playoffs..  Harden, Lillard, and Beal are all players that are extremely difficult to contain in the playoffs.  You can't game plan away their ability to impact the game.  You can game plan away Simmons.  Force him to shoot, or just foul him.  I don't understand why anyone would think that Simmons is as good as Harden / Beal level.  Maybe two years ago Simmons would be in that discussion, but that was before he has been exposed in the playoffs over and over.

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I thought the Simmons truthers were extinct, but apparently not. People can't honestly be serious in thinking Ben Simmons is going to net the Sixers a superstar.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 02:53:56 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I agree.

Me too. You gotta be looking at guys the caliber of a James Harden, a Damian Lillard or at least a Bradley Beal in return for Ben Simmons.

Not a Malcolm Brogdon. And certainly not a player who is only as good as Brogdon is but comes with a ton of injury issues as well. Not a good return.

I disagree.  Simmons hasn't shown to be some great player in the playoffs..  Harden, Lillard, and Beal are all players that are extremely difficult to contain in the playoffs.  You can't game plan away their ability to impact the game.  You can game plan away Simmons.  Force him to shoot, or just foul him.  I don't understand why anyone would think that Simmons is as good as Harden / Beal level.  Maybe two years ago Simmons would be in that discussion, but that was before he has been exposed in the playoffs over and over.

It's not they are equal players.

It is that the better players (Lillard, Harden, Beal) want(ed) out of their teams. Forced their way out. And that their teams are unable to get equal compensation in a trade.

And in that situation, a Ben Simmons is a very good return for one of those unhappy trade request.

---------------------

Simmons is an interesting case because he is different to most players in terms of how polarizing he is. Some people rate him very low and some are still high on him.

In this type of a situation, it depends on the GM involved and whether they are one of the ones who are high or low on Ben Simmons. All you need is to find one GM with one of these disgruntled stars and you have a trade that will be workable.

No point selling him off for far less (Brogdon) when you can just wait for the right opportunity to sell him for something far more valuable (Lillard or Beal or whoever else asks out after them).

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Simmons needs to change a lot to become a superstar.

People give him the benefit of the doubt because he was the #1 pick. If he was the #15th pick, he wouldn't attract nearly as much attention.

Simmons is just another guy. I think Philly could have Harden or another player on their roster now if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

People give him the benefit of the doubt because he was the #1 pick. If he was the #15th pick, he wouldn't attract nearly as much attention.

Simmons is just another guy. I think Philly could have Harden or another player on their roster now if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.

Simmons is really good in the regular season when teams aren't locked in on him and the games mean far less.

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 03:30:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.
This is the problem right there. Just because the Sixers use him at PG, it doesn't mean he's a guard, especially in the half court. Both Embiid and Simmons are at their best when playing close to the basket. With this in mind, it's fairly obvious that they cancel each other out on offense. Imagine Simmons playing off the ball in the half court, setting picks on the perimeter and rolling/cutting hard to the basket. He'd instantly transform into a dominant 2-way player.

If you ask me, Simmons is a PF/C. I mean, is he all that different from Bam? They are both elite defenders. Simmons is a better perimeter defender. Bam is a better rim protector. Other than that, their games are very similar.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 04:01:34 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2021, 03:56:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
if other teams were interested in a guard that can't shoot and needs to be subbed out at the end of a game.
This is the problem right there. Just because the Sixers use him at PG, it doesn't mean he's a guard, especially in the half court. Both Embiid and Simmons are at their best when playing close to the basket. With this in mind, it's fairly obvious that they cancel each other out on offense. Imagine Simmons playing off the ball in the half court, setting picks on the perimeter and rolling/cutting hard to the basket. He'd instantly transform into a dominant 2-way player.

If you ask me, Simmons is a PF/C. I mean, is he all that different from Bam? They are both elite defenders. Simmons is a better perimeter defender. Bam is a better rim protector. Other than that, their games are very similar.
This is it exactly.  I thought the Sixers did better at this year then year's past, but the simple reality, Simmons is at his best with no one in the middle and that is also true of Embiid and that is their real problem.  They have 2 players that love the paint and that is just really hard to make work in the modern NBA.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2021, 03:59:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Simmons is really good in the regular season when teams aren't locked in on him and the games mean far less.

I agree with this.  In the regular season his issues aren’t nearly as amplified.  Against the higher level of competition in the playoffs he has become a liability in the 1/2 court offense.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2021, 09:36:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree.

Maybe if it was Simmons + picks and prospects, but Simmons alone is not an appealing piece. The money he earns despite his inability to improve is absurd

Agreed. He's a worse player than he was in his rookie year.
except he isn't.  Significantly better defender and actually a more efficient shooter from the field and the line.  He certainly hasn't progressed like most young players do i.e. much smaller and incremental improvement, but he still has improved and is a better player today than as a rookie.
Conveniently leaving out that he's regressed as a rebounder and passer.

Also, how is he significantly better as a defender? What signifies that change? He's always been a strong multi-positional defender with good advanced metrics on that end. I would argue he was a better defender last year - way more disruptive in terms of generating steals while fouling at an identical rate, and had significantly better DRaptor and DBPM stats. The narrative of him being this elite defender emerged after his play on that end last season, but he wasn't as good on that end. His team was just better.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 04:18:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Ben Simmons hard at work, training up those skills at Wimbledon. He's going to be working on one kind of shot at least

Ben Simmons and Maya Jama have shown off their budding new romance while taking in the action at Wimbledon.

The Aussie NBA star and British TV personality were spotted looking very smitten at the All England Club on Monday.

Simmons and Jama could be seen sharing a kiss and showing their affection for each other as they sat alongside Hollywood star Sienna Miller.

Jama is a TV and radio personality in the UK, as well as a model.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/wimbledon-2021-ben-simmons-goes-public-maya-jama-romance-230654933.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 10:31:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I am not sure this trade even works straight up.  Simmons at $33M for Brogdon at $22M?  Does Indy have cap space to absorb $11M increase?

Anyway, if Philly thinks they are going to get much more than Brogdon and a pretty good pick, I don't think Simmons is going anywhere.

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 10:51:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am not sure this trade even works straight up.  Simmons at $33M for Brogdon at $22M?  Does Indy have cap space to absorb $11M increase?

Anyway, if Philly thinks they are going to get much more than Brogdon and a pretty good pick, I don't think Simmons is going anywhere.

Already offered and declined, granted it is a rumor.

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/nba-rumors-sixers-turned-down-pacers-ben-simmons-malcolm-brogdon

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 11:43:10 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I get people are down on him with the playoffs fresh in everyone's minds, but Ben is still a 24 year old who's made 3 All-Star teams, 2 All-Defensive 1st teams, and was a All-NBA selection a year ago.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I have always thought well of Simmons, but in the 7 games against the Hawks, he scored 69 points and went 15 for 45 in free throw attempts in a bunch of life or death games.

You don't get superstar money for that. You are actually hurting your team, not "disappearing" that would've been better than what Simmons did.

I think trading him is a good idea as the change might help.

Brogdon and a 13th might be the gig.

I thought about Simmons on the Celtics?

He'd have to be the "4th best player" on the team and thus, costs way too much.

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 01:28:40 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Already offered and declined, granted it is a rumor.

https://www.si.com/nba/76ers/news/nba-rumors-sixers-turned-down-pacers-ben-simmons-malcolm-brogdon

I saw the "rumor".  My point was that there must be other players involved if true as I don't think the salaries in the trade as reported would work.  The report did say "included" Brogon and the pick implying there was more to it.  Did Indy include Lamb or something like that?

I guess my other thought on this is if Philly really does expect more that this in a trade, no way the Celtics are going to get in on this.  The best we can do short of Brown or Tatum is offer Smart and Thompson.

If I was Philly, I would try to get Brogdon and TJ Warren (forget the pick).  If Warren is healthy (I don't know the injury status) that makes Philly much better.

I still like Simmons, more than I like say Lonzo Ball, but he does not have franchise player level value right now coming off that post season.