Author Topic: In which year did Ryder leave Celtic's decision making circle?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline IllalwayslikeHavlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 7

The popular view on the Internet in China was in 1997

Because did not draw that year's first round of the first pick right, thus missed TD, regret retirement

Then I read the book let me tell you a story: a lifetime in the game

It feels like he retired in the early 1990s

Re: In which year did Ryder leave Celtic's decision making circle?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
 I can't speak English (I'm Chinese). I use translation website to communicate with you all. If you have any grammar problems, please forgive me

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:40:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do you mean Red Auerbach?

Red was involved with the team until his death in 2006.  His titles and responsibilities varied.  He gave up his title as President in 1997, moving to Vice Chairman of the team.  He took back the official President role in 2001.

Red's final decision was during the 2001 draft:

"[The Celtics] made my eyes water on draft night," Parker recalled during Grantland's BS Report podcast at All-Star weekend in 2013. "I'm going to tell you a true story. True story. True story. The draft, you have that NBA lady, Chrysa -- she comes to me, and it was the 19th pick, she gives me a Celtics cap and says, 'They are going to pick you.' And it was like three minutes left on the clock, and you have five minutes to pick. Then at one minute she comes back and takes the cap, [and says,] 'Oh no, they changed their mind.' They took my cap. I was like, 'What?'

"And so then they drafted Joe Forte. I was always curious what happened. One day I asked the GM, Chris Wallace, I was like, 'What happened in the draft, like when you changed your mind?' Because the day before, I had practiced for Boston. So I did two workouts -- I did the normal workout, then the day before the draft they did a workout. It was Jim O'Brien at the time, the coach, and he was like, 'We want to draft you, but the Spurs are going to try to make a trade at 20, but if you're available at 21, for sure we'll take you.' The coach and the GM, they wanted me, but the president, big boss, he changed his mind."

Yes, Red's final draft decision was overruling team management and taking Joe Forte over Tony Parker.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Do you mean Red Auerbach?

Red was involved with the team until his death in 2006.  His titles and responsibilities varied.  He gave up his title as President in 1997, moving to Vice Chairman of the team.  He took back the official President role in 2001.

Red's final decision was during the 2001 draft:

"[The Celtics] made my eyes water on draft night," Parker recalled during Grantland's BS Report podcast at All-Star weekend in 2013. "I'm going to tell you a true story. True story. True story. The draft, you have that NBA lady, Chrysa -- she comes to me, and it was the 19th pick, she gives me a Celtics cap and says, 'They are going to pick you.' And it was like three minutes left on the clock, and you have five minutes to pick. Then at one minute she comes back and takes the cap, [and says,] 'Oh no, they changed their mind.' They took my cap. I was like, 'What?'

"And so then they drafted Joe Forte. I was always curious what happened. One day I asked the GM, Chris Wallace, I was like, 'What happened in the draft, like when you changed your mind?' Because the day before, I had practiced for Boston. So I did two workouts -- I did the normal workout, then the day before the draft they did a workout. It was Jim O'Brien at the time, the coach, and he was like, 'We want to draft you, but the Spurs are going to try to make a trade at 20, but if you're available at 21, for sure we'll take you.' The coach and the GM, they wanted me, but the president, big boss, he changed his mind."

Yes, Red's final draft decision was overruling team management and taking Joe Forte over Tony Parker.
I wonder how hard Chris Wallace and O'Brien lobbied/argued for Parker and against the Forte pick. Was Red so all-powerful in 2001 (84 years old and way past his highly active prime) that he had that level of veto power.  WEAK GM and I don't care what level of legend Red was, Wallace should have convinced him that Forte was a mistake.

I've always blamed Chris Wallace ultimately for that disaster of a draft and ultimately trading the only good pick (Joe J) for a couple of career 10ppg players to spark a season that wasn't ever going to result in a championship.

And then after his disgrace in Boston Wallace trades Pao Gasol to LAL to put the ribbon on their championship run.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 10:46:12 AM »

• Svi Mykhailiuk
 Chris Wallace's performance in the Grizzlies proves that he is a fool

How can he trade Pau Gasol to the Lakers so cheaply

I was angry at the thought of it

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Red overruled management on the Forte pick, I believe on the advice of his friend, Morgan Wooten who was a legendary HS basketball coach at Damatha High - where Forte went to school.

Red had his share of whiffs like everyone else.  Phil Hankinson, Clarence Glover etc.  There was one guy they drafted who was afraid to fly and never panned out.