Author Topic: Celtics (35-35) at Timberwolves (22-48) Game #71 5/15/21  (Read 21981 times)

Re: Celtics (35-35) at Timberwolves (22-48) Game #71 5/15/21
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2021, 06:50:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Cs' cap hold for Fournier is $26.2 MM. His salary this year is $17.5MM. He'll be 28 entering next season and it's a seller's market for free agents. Can't imagine him going for 3 years for $60MM. $95-105  for 4.

Yes but this is why I don't want us to extend him, especially if we can have Smart for 10M less. But if we loose Fournier without a new TPE, it will be a big Ainge mistake (not saying he was preaching for patience with TPE few days before deadline.)

They sign Fournier because you can go over the cap on free agents and Smarts going to be overpaid on his next deal.

OK, but  we could have kept full TPE for a trade this offseason (like for Collins)... And everyone say Smart will be overpay, but you really think he increased his value this year ? Don't see a contender give him 20 milions. Don't see Smart go to a dumb team for contract. But I can see Smart a discount for us... Maybe even this summer if we show to him fidelity.
On the other hand Fournier won't take any discount. He may be a very good 6th men. Don't say he will be the next Ben Gordon or Parsons, but his 25M contract could become painfull and look bad 1 or 2 years from now.

Again I don't have same conclusions than many here and I feel a little too much conclusion are taken with last halfseason or so.

Fournier under contract has more trade value than a TPE. Smart will go where the money is. This is the one big contract he'll get. Smart is still an all-defensive player even if you consider this a down year. Hayward was hurt for three years and still got a max. If Detroit, Orlando, or Houston ( Smart's from Texas) offer him 4 years at 84 million he takes that. Add Dallas to that. Smart would be a good defensive guard to put next to Doncic.

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
For Fournier if we extend him, it won't be to trade him I guess, so or it works and we keep him or it doesn't and it becomes a bad contract for years. And at 30 and 25M he won't be also a real trade asset anymore... TPE isn't a trade asset but we could take almost 30M of salary and give a bunch of picks and promising player if needed to get a better player at a more needed post (PF or C or a PG to replace Kemba). They were a lot of report that Hawks and Pelicans didn't want to pay Collinsor Ball...

For Smart I am not sure about what you say. I think he has a special story here. Couldn't he already have more in his last contract ? I don't remember. Whatever Hayward also had a special story here, but in the other way...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 07:06:51 PM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2021, 07:03:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
For Fournier if we extend him, it won't be to trade him I guess, so or it works and we keep him or it doesn't and it becomes a bad contract for years. And at 30 and 25M he won't be also a real trade asset anymore... TPE isn't a trade asset but we could take almost 30M of salary and give a bunch of picks and promising player if needed to get a better player at a more needed post (PF or C or a PG to replace Kemba). They were a lot of report that Hawks and Pelicans didn't want to pay Collinsor Ball...

For Smart I am not sure about what you say. I think he has a special story here. Couldn't he already have more in his last contract ? I don't remember.

Fournier is a tradable NBA asset. We just traded for him and we did it with him as  a free agent at the end of the year. There isn't going to be 30 million to give to anyone as we will be over the cap next year.

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

For Smart I am not sure about what you say. I think he has a special story here. Couldn't he already have more in his last contract ? I don't remember.

Fournier is a tradable NBA asset. We just traded for him and we did it with him as  a free agent at the end of the year. There isn't going to be 30 million to give to anyone as we will be over the cap next year.

Mmmh... I would still tell you he was an asset we have brought back a second round (OK on expiring), not more; and if we have to give 25M a year to Evan, don't see why we couldn't have given 28M to Collins (by exemple, but it could be less for Barnes...). Some player who were locked at deadline may not be during offseason. It was the Ainge speach before he changed his mind (o just hided it).

Whatever we won't agree and noone is right before we see what happen next year... Rendez-vous dans un an  :)

« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Finally a win! Didn’t catch the game live but will watch the replay on League Pass. Glad to see Romeo have a good scoring game. What’s up with Jabari’s -10 though?

« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2021, 09:14:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
watched the game on tape delay.  today's hot takes:
- our end of bench guys weren't completely horrible for a change.  just occasionally horrible for some of them
- finally had a game where we weren't bricking 3's all game.  made for a much easier game.
- Romeo had a pretty decent game.  granted, it was against Minny but still a pretty decent game. 
- Minny is horrible.  just horrible.  their starters should have given us a tough time with the players we were missing but good lord Minny just stinks and plays no defense.

« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2021, 05:38:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
- our end of bench guys weren't completely horrible for a change.  just occasionally horrible for some of them

Playing the worst team in the NBA who was not playing defense.   Every one should demanding some changes to the roster.  This team does not deserve to run it back!

The Grant rim block roll in dunk was a good illustrator about lack of lift.  He has a nice one in the first half but you could literally go to a park and find guys more athletic than him.

OK, but  we could have kept full TPE for a trade this offseason (like for Collins)... And everyone say Smart will be overpay, but you really think he increased his value this year ? Don't see a contender give him 20 milions. Don't see Smart go to a dumb team for contract. But I can see Smart a discount for us... Maybe even this summer if we show to him fidelity.
On the other hand Fournier won't take any discount. He may be a very good 6th men. Don't say he will be the next Ben Gordon or Parsons, but his 25M contract could become painfull and look bad 1 or 2 years from now.

What asset would you give up with that TPE?    Because we are kind of hurting in that area as we lack them now.   No team is just going to flat take the TPE alone.    Fournier is a lot better than any of the crap we have off the bench.  He is a capable starter even.   The most impressive thing about him is his points come from within the flow of the game.   You don't see him forcing things etc.

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2021, 07:50:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Playing the worst team in the NBA who was not playing defense.   Every one should demanding some changes to the roster.  This team does not deserve to run it back!

The Grant rim block roll in dunk was a good illustrator about lack of lift.  He has a nice one in the first half but you could literally go to a park and find guys more athletic than him.

ok, not sure how you took my comment as wanting to keep the end of the bench and run it back.  just noting that they weren't completely horrible.  you left off my comment that Minny is horrible and plays no defense.  not sure where you're going with this