Author Topic: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)  (Read 10296 times)

Re: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes, preseason can be deceptive due to the first team not being in for much of the game, but Mac Jones looked very good last night (as did Cam).  Jones looked better than Garoppolo ever looked in preseason his rookie year.  It is too long ago for me to remember how Tom Brady looked in preseason his rookie year.  Who would have even been paying attention to a 6th round pick back then?

I am happy to see both.  Happy to see Cam play well and happy to see Mac play well.  I think that both the Patriots and Mac are better served if Cam plays well and is the starting QB for most or all of this season.  Even Brady "red shirted" his rookie season and it certainly didn't stunt his development.  It appears to me that Mac has all the physical tools ready to go but there is so much to learn for an NFL QB, on the field and off.

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2021, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yes, preseason can be deceptive due to the first team not being in for much of the game, but Mac Jones looked very good last night (as did Cam).  Jones looked better than Garoppolo ever looked in preseason his rookie year.  It is too long ago for me to remember how Tom Brady looked in preseason his rookie year.  Who would have even been paying attention to a 6th round pick back then?

I am happy to see both.  Happy to see Cam play well and happy to see Mac play well.  I think that both the Patriots and Mac are better served if Cam plays well and is the starting QB for most or all of this season.  Even Brady "red shirted" his rookie season and it certainly didn't stunt his development.  It appears to me that Mac has all the physical tools ready to go but there is so much to learn for an NFL QB, on the field and off.

Newton arm and pocket processing gives me little to no confidence

He takes forever to release the ball

Vs Jones

He looks like a natural

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2021, 12:13:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Newton arm and pocket processing gives me little to no confidence

He takes forever to release the ball

Vs Jones

He looks like a natural
You may be right, hard to know as fans, not having all the information.  If Cam is no better this season than he was last season, then I think we will see Mac sooner rather than later.  But to me, Cam looked like his arm was sore or somehow not right last season.  Everything was kind of forced, aiming not throwing.  Last night, I thought he threw the ball fine.  It all looked normal or natural.

As to processing or decision making, it is not unreasonable to expect Cam to be better the second year in a complicated system then the first.  Your point is that Mac seems to be picking it up more quickly and that does seem to be the case.  Cam is a former MVP, Mac is a rookie.  My point is that I am hoping that whatever was wrong with Cam's arm is now fixed and that Cam now knows the system much better so that he can be the starter for one season before giving over to Mac.  I believe this is better for the Pats and better for Mac.  Cam processed fine last night, albeit for 1 quarter so maybe things were really scripted, I don't know.

But as I said, if Cam is no better than last season, that probably is not going to happen.  One good quarter in preseason for Cam is promising but certainly not definitive.  If Cam can continue to play that well though, I would start him and play him until he didn't play that well.