Author Topic: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)  (Read 10306 times)

Re: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 10:28:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713141-before-the-goat-tom-brady-could-have-been-one-of-the-greatest-catchers-ever

"I think he could have been one of the greatest catchers ever," says Malone, who holds the remarkable distinction of drafting Brady five years before Bill Belichick. "I know that's quite a statement, but the projections were based on the fact we had a left-hand-hitting catcher, with arm strength and who was athletic. ... But his first love was football."

"He was a very athletic young man. A big kid who had a great face, a major league face. Yes, we looked at the face," Malone says. "He had an athletic, strong body, but there was room for development. As a scout, one of the first things you look at is just the body—the type of body, the athleticism and what kind of face does he have. I know that sounds a little strange."

Brady is a much better athlete than he is given credit for.  He isn't Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes, but he isn't a bum either.  You don't end up with a full ride scholarship offer to Michigan (especially then) nor get drafted by a MLB team without having extreme skill and ability. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2021, 11:15:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Code: [Select]
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713141-before-the-goat-tom-brady-could-have-been-one-of-the-greatest-catchers-ever

"I think he could have been one of the greatest catchers ever," says Malone, who holds the remarkable distinction of drafting Brady five years before Bill Belichick. "I know that's quite a statement, but the projections were based on the fact we had a left-hand-hitting catcher, with arm strength and who was athletic. ... But his first love was football."

"He was a very athletic young man. A big kid who had a great face, a major league face. Yes, we looked at the face," Malone says. "He had an athletic, strong body, but there was room for development. As a scout, one of the first things you look at is just the body—the type of body, the athleticism and what kind of face does he have. I know that sounds a little strange."

Brady is a much better athlete than he is given credit for.  He isn't Lamar Jackson or Patrick Mahomes, but he isn't a bum either.  You don't end up with a full ride scholarship offer to Michigan (especially then) nor get drafted by a MLB team without having extreme skill and ability.

Hes just like one of my best friends growing up. Best QB, PG in basketball,  and pitcher and SS in baseball.

unreal hand eye Coordination. Terrible athlete.  Slow, can't jump. But like Tom. Great size.

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 03:10:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What is a "great face", a "major league face"?  I get the body.  I don't get the face.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

What is a "great face", a "major league face"?  I get the body.  I don't get the face.

That Face was made for Marketing. There are definitely some genetic indicat5you can pull from.the face..

I love Mac Jones goofy demeanor.  Bama Teamates said they like him better than Tua. Whom was also very well liked in the locker room.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is one's face really a point of consideration in baseball scouting..?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 05:57:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Is one's face really a point of consideration in baseball scouting..?
Maybe his face was so beautiful scouts thought it would keep pitchers from throwing inside to him, fearing to hit and ruin such a perfect face. If you can't pitch inside to a batter, advantage batter. 😁

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Brady was undefined.  Mac Jones is next level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 06:53:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yet somehow Mac can run faster and jump higher. Love it

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 08:24:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

They need to do one of those sports physics segments, to explain how a dude with man boobs and a gut can physically throw like he does.  Where’s the arm strength come from?

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 08:49:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

They need to do one of those sports physics segments, to explain how a dude with man boobs and a gut can physically throw like he does.  Where’s the arm strength come from?
I'd for sure watch.

We also drafted another hefty guy at RB. He looks a lot like Eddie Lacy, in a good and bad way simultaneously...

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2021, 07:59:27 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Want a comp, and one that I haven't herad, how about Joe Burrow. 

Burrow: 6'3.5", 221lbs and Jones: 6'3", 217lbs.

Both careers started off in an unceremoniously way.  Burrow went to Ohio state as a 4 star recruit and redshirted his freshman year, played 5 games in 2016, 5 games in 2017, 13 games in 2018, and 15 games in 2019.  His best year, obviously was 2019; 76.3%, 5671yds, 60TD, and 6INT.  Jones went to Bama as a 3 star recruit and played 6  games in 2018, 11  in 2019, 13 in 2020.  His best year was 2020; 77.4%, 4500yds, 41TD, 4INT.

My thought is, both of these guys are late bloomers in college.  Both are pocket type passers and neither is fleet a foot: Burrow 40 was 4.9, Jones was 4.83.

Interesting note, Jones originally committed to Kentucky, but flipped for the chance to compete ad Bama.

Yep, I'm trying to talk myself into liking this pick.  I was a Fields guy all the way and he was just so close....

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Arm strength doesn’t matter as much as you’d think. What matters is torque and how fast you can whip your arm. Look at some of the pitchers over the years that were completely out of shape, but could still throw 90+MPH.

With that said, Mac does need to get into better shape. That photo of him next to Brady is unacceptable.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2021, 01:09:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Arm strength doesn’t matter as much as you’d think. What matters is torque and how fast you can whip your arm. Look at some of the pitchers over the years that were completely out of shape, but could still throw 90+MPH.

With that said, Mac does need to get into better shape. That photo of him next to Brady is unacceptable.

Case and point, Bartolo Colon
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2021, 02:01:30 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Sure, but arm strength definitely caps your potential as an NFL quarterback. Gardner Minshew has many good attributes for a quarterback, yet his arm simply isn't strong enough, so his ceiling is only a backup.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2021, 02:37:20 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Sure, but arm strength definitely caps your potential as an NFL quarterback. Gardner Minshew has many good attributes for a quarterback, yet his arm simply isn't strong enough, so his ceiling is only a backup.

I’m not worried about his arm Strength at all...

Throwing in front of NFL head coaches, including Bill Belichick (Patriots), Sean Payton (Saints) and Kyle Shanahan (49ers), Jones did a variety of things during his workout, including paying homage to both his late coach at The Bolles School and Navy with a triple-option play that ended with Harris throwing a touchdown pass back to the Crimson Tide quarterback.

Other than having fun, however, he wanted to show he can make every throw. “In real football, you just want to complete the ball,” Jones said. “At the end of the day, hopefully, I did show my arm strength. I can throw it 65 or however long they need me to throw it, but in a real game, it’s all about being a passer and not a thrower. I just wanted to show off. I mean, I already did one pro day, and it was fun. So come out here and sling it deep a little bit and let those guys catch some balls. It was good.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2021-NFL-Draft-Alabama-Football-QB-Mac-Jones-wanted-to-show-his-arm-strength-in-second-pro-day-workout-163357876/Amp/

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.