Author Topic: Top NBA players under 25 years old.  (Read 9094 times)

Re: Top players under 25 years old.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Doncic and Jokic are ahead of JT (by a pretty significant margin).

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Collins in same category as Murray? c'mon.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
For players 25 years of age and under, who do you have ahead of Jaylen and Jayson?

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....
I'd take Luka, Jokic, Cade Cunningham and Zion (assuming he stays healthy) over both Tatum and Brown.

In a vacuum, I'd take plenty of players over Brown: KAT and SGA, probably Bam and Mitchell. I'm on the fence about Ja, Ingram, Booker, Simmons, LaMelo (haven't watched enough of him)

Specifically for the C's, I'd rather have Brown over Mitchell. Brown is better suited to play second fiddle next to Tatum. Mitchell is better suited to be the go-to guy.

other names worth considering that I wouldn't take over Brown: Christian Wood, Sabonis, Murray, Trae Young (I'm super low on him)

You would rather have Cade Cunningham, who has never played a minute in the NBA over Jaylen and Jayson. If he’s that good, shouldn’t he be averaging a triple double in College and just be absolutely dominating the competition? Don’t get me wrong, he looks like a top prospect, but [dang]....
Are we talking about right now or in terms of building a team around these guys? If we're talking about the former, then gimme both the Jays over Cunningham. Since we're ranking young players, I assumed we were supposed to factor in their potential ability as well.

Either way, why isn’t he just killing everyone in college if his ceiling is that high?
That's exactly what he's doing. Unfortunately for him, he's playing for a relatively small school. Here's a quote from the ringer. It's from February 17. Most of his numbers are even better right now.

''Like Anthony Edwards, the no. 1 pick in last year’s draft, Cunningham didn’t go to a traditional basketball powerhouse. He chose Oklahoma State because his older brother was hired as an assistant coach at the school. There isn’t another top-50 recruit on the roster. The difference between Cunningham and Edwards, who struggled on a bad Georgia team last season, is that the former is polished enough to win games by himself in college. He leads the Cowboys (13-6, no. 23 in the AP poll) in points (18.6 per game) and steals (1.4), and is second in rebounds (6.1) and assists (3.5), and third in blocks (1.0). He plugs holes on both ends of the floor, and closes games late on offense''.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/17/22284032/cade-cunningham-nba-draft-2021

He’s averaging 20pts, 6reb, and 3ast. That’s not killing it. If this kid is a transcendent talent, I would expect more than that.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
For players 25 years of age and under, who do you have ahead of Jaylen and Jayson?

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....
I'd take Luka, Jokic, Cade Cunningham and Zion (assuming he stays healthy) over both Tatum and Brown.

In a vacuum, I'd take plenty of players over Brown: KAT and SGA, probably Bam and Mitchell. I'm on the fence about Ja, Ingram, Booker, Simmons, LaMelo (haven't watched enough of him)

Specifically for the C's, I'd rather have Brown over Mitchell. Brown is better suited to play second fiddle next to Tatum. Mitchell is better suited to be the go-to guy.

other names worth considering that I wouldn't take over Brown: Christian Wood, Sabonis, Murray, Trae Young (I'm super low on him)

You would rather have Cade Cunningham, who has never played a minute in the NBA over Jaylen and Jayson. If he’s that good, shouldn’t he be averaging a triple double in College and just be absolutely dominating the competition? Don’t get me wrong, he looks like a top prospect, but [dang]....
Are we talking about right now or in terms of building a team around these guys? If we're talking about the former, then gimme both the Jays over Cunningham. Since we're ranking young players, I assumed we were supposed to factor in their potential ability as well.

Either way, why isn’t he just killing everyone in college if his ceiling is that high?
That's exactly what he's doing. Unfortunately for him, he's playing for a relatively small school. Here's a quote from the ringer. It's from February 17. Most of his numbers are even better right now.

''Like Anthony Edwards, the no. 1 pick in last year’s draft, Cunningham didn’t go to a traditional basketball powerhouse. He chose Oklahoma State because his older brother was hired as an assistant coach at the school. There isn’t another top-50 recruit on the roster. The difference between Cunningham and Edwards, who struggled on a bad Georgia team last season, is that the former is polished enough to win games by himself in college. He leads the Cowboys (13-6, no. 23 in the AP poll) in points (18.6 per game) and steals (1.4), and is second in rebounds (6.1) and assists (3.5), and third in blocks (1.0). He plugs holes on both ends of the floor, and closes games late on offense''.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/17/22284032/cade-cunningham-nba-draft-2021

He’s averaging 20pts, 6reb, and 3ast. That’s not killing it. If this kid is a transcendent talent, I would expect more than that.
You mean like Grant Hill who was averaging 11-5-2 as a freshman?
Or like Shaq who was averaging 14 points and 12 rebs as a freshman?
Or like Anthony Davis who was averaging 14 and 10?
Or like James Harden who was averaging 18-5-3?
Or like Lillard who was averaging 12-4-3?
Or like Duncan who was averaging 10 and 10?
Or like MJ who was averaging 14-4-2?

I could go on and on. Raw numbers mean close to nothing, especially at the college level cause they play under different rules. Just check out his moves. There's plenty of footage on youtube. The guy has literally zero weaknesses.

- He's 6'8'' with a 7'0.25'' wingspan.
- He's an unselfish ball handler with elite BBIQ.
- He can create his own shot.
- He can create shots for his teammates.
- He's a PnR magician.
- He's a great shooter (41.2% from 3 on 5.4 attempts per game, 85.4% from the FT line on 5.5 attempts per game).
- He can shoot 3s off the dribble.
- He can play on or off the ball.
- He can guard multiple positions (has even played at small ball 5 at Oklahoma State).

He can do it all!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:14:28 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 07:15:41 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Yeah, after last year’s playoffs Murray is too low here. Look up his stats. 25.6 ppg on elite efficiency - .626 TS% - plus 6.6 assists and 4.8 rebounds.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Given Murray has completely reverted to being the same 20/5/4 guy he was pre-bubble, yeah. One fluke run doesn’t really impress me, and I see no room for improvement for him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 07:36:24 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Yeah, after last year’s playoffs Murray is too low here. Look up his stats. 25.6 ppg on elite efficiency - .626 TS% - plus 6.6 assists and 4.8 rebounds.

Ball needs on this list too. I'd take him over Murray or Collins all day

Re: Top NBA players under 25 years old.
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 09:04:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Zion could easily eat himself out the league as well.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 09:34:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Yahoo just did this.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/top-25-players-under-25-211329690.html

They had Tatum 3rd behind only Luka (1) and Zion (2).  Had Brown 8th with Booker 4, Simmons 5, Mitchell 6, and Adebayo 7
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Jokic is 26.  Not sure why people have him in the under 25 list.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 09:39:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Why doesn't anyone have Ja Morant on the list?   I like him better than Zion long term; I think Zion is going to break down.

Morant is going to be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Just needs to improve that shot.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 09:45:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Why doesn't anyone have Ja Morant on the list?   I like him better than Zion long term; I think Zion is going to break down.

Morant is going to be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Just needs to improve that shot.
Yahoo has him at 15.  And looking at the list I don't know that I would quibble much with that position for him.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 01:43:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Zion could easily eat himself out the league as well.
Given he's lost weight since coming into the league I'd be surprised.

Forgot that Jokic was old. He obviously isn't on the list then
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 11:23:08 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Regarding your list, which I agree with for the most part, do you believe that Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players in 3 years? Lebron, If still in the league, would be turning 40. Durant 36, Hardren 35, Steph 36. I think Tatum will be. Brown, possibly...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 11:27:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Tier 1:

Doncic

Tier 1b:

Tatum
Mitchell
Simmons

Tier 2:

Booker
Bam

Tier 3:
Zion
Brown
Ingram
Sabonis
Ball

Tier 4:
SGA
Young
Morant
Fox
Edwards

Tier 5:
Collins
Murray

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2021, 11:42:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Lauri Markkanen gets an honorable mention.  Interesting.  If we could get him or Collins or Turner, we would have 3 of the top 25 or so under 25 (2 of the top 8 ).  That would be pretty cool.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:54:37 PM by Vermont Green »