Author Topic: Top NBA players under 25 years old.  (Read 8961 times)

Re: Top players under 25 years old.
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2021, 12:25:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Doncic and Jokic are ahead of JT (by a pretty significant margin).

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Regarding your list, which I agree with for the most part, do you believe that Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players in 3 years? Lebron, If still in the league, would be turning 40. Durant 36, Hardren 35, Steph 36. I think Tatum will be. Brown, possibly...
Tatum should be, but I don't think Brown will ever hit that level.  I think at best Brown is around 15, but probably more like 20. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Regarding your list, which I agree with for the most part, do you believe that Tatum and Brown will be top 10 players in 3 years? Lebron, If still in the league, would be turning 40. Durant 36, Hardren 35, Steph 36. I think Tatum will be. Brown, possibly...
Tatum should be, but I don't think Brown will ever hit that level.  I think at best Brown is around 15, but probably more like 20.

So assuming players who are currently age 32 or older are not top 10 players(or in the league) in 3 years, who do you have as your likely future top 10 players in the NBA?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Top NBA players under 25 years old.
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Why doesn't anyone have Ja Morant on the list?   I like him better than Zion long term; I think Zion is going to break down.

Morant is going to be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Just needs to improve that shot.
Yahoo has him at 15.  And looking at the list I don't know that I would quibble much with that position for him.

That's too low.  How many GMs would take him ahead of John Collins?  Like 30/30??

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Why doesn't anyone have Ja Morant on the list?   I like him better than Zion long term; I think Zion is going to break down.

Morant is going to be one of the best point guards in the NBA. Just needs to improve that shot.
Yahoo has him at 15.  And looking at the list I don't know that I would quibble much with that position for him.

That's too low.  How many GMs would take him ahead of John Collins?  Like 30/30??
John Collins is behind Ja Morant on the yahoo list.

Their list in order

Doncic
Zion
Tatum
Booker
Simmons
Mitchell
Adebayo
Brown
Young
Ingram
Sabonis
SGA
J. Murray
Fox
Morant
LaMelo
Collins
Allen
Sexton
D. Murray
Ayton
Miles Bridges
Turner
M. Porter
Lonzo

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2021, 01:47:49 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So assuming players who are currently age 32 or older are not top 10 players(or in the league) in 3 years, who do you have as your likely future top 10 players in the NBA?

I did the cut off at under 30:

Beal, Embiid, Giannis, Doncic, Lavine, Irving, Jokic, Kawhi (younger than you think), T. Young, Williamson, Booker, Tatum, Mitchell, J. Brown, McCollum, Ingrim, Sexton, Fox, G-Alexander, J. Grant, Towns, Randle, Davis, Sabonis (listed in order of current ppg).

The highlighted 8 are in my opinion likely to stay ahead of Tatum and Brown.  Keep in mind that there are some pretty good player that are 30 or just over (Lillard, Durant, Harden, Vucevic, George, Butler) that quite likely will also be in the top 10 mix for several more years.

It is not likely that Tatum or Brown will catch up with these players and be top 10 but both will be close or in the discussion which isn't necessarily bad but also not enough (think Portland who never was able to find that 3rd good player).

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Beal, Embiid, Giannis, Doncic, Lavine, Irving, Jokic, Kawhi (younger than you think), T. Young, Williamson, Booker, Tatum, Mitchell, J. Brown, McCollum, Ingrim, Sexton, Fox, G-Alexander, J. Grant, Towns, Randle, Davis, Sabonis (listed in order of current ppg).

The highlighted 8 are in my opinion likely to stay ahead of Tatum and Brown.  Keep in mind that there are some pretty good player that are 30 or just over (Lillard, Durant, Harden, Vucevic, George, Butler) that quite likely will also be in the top 10 mix for several more years.

It is not likely that Tatum or Brown will catch up with these players and be top 10 but both will be close or in the discussion which isn't necessarily bad but also not enough (think Portland who never was able to find that 3rd good player).

Durants turning 33 this year, Harden and Butler will be 32. I doubt they are top 10 players in 3 years. There was 1 All-Star this year over the age of 33. Lebron James.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2021, 06:39:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Top 10 list in 3 years. Who do you have?

Giannis
Doncic
Embiid
Jokic
AD
Kawhi
Tatum
Beal
Lillard
Zion, Brown, Mitchell, Young, Booker, SGA(one of these at 10. Hopefully Brown)

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Durants turning 33 this year, Harden and Butler will be 32. I doubt they are top 10 players in 3 years. There was 1 All-Star this year over the age of 33. Lebron James.

It is just a list of players for people to consider.  I split the players the way I did so that exactly that perspective would be included.  People could then make their own judgements on who they think would still be good in 2 years or 4 years.

As the specific 6 "older" players that I included, Paul George is definitely on the way down and Vucevic is probably not top 10 good anyway but Harden, Durant, Butler, and to some extent Lillard are all likely to continue to be ahead of Brown for some period of time and Harden and Durant at least ahead of Tatum.  Now is that 2 years or 3 years or 5 years, I don't know, no one knows, but everyone is going to have their own opinion.

My main point is that being in the top 10 is not necessarily as easy as it seems.  But it is also true that if Brown is say #14 in a given year, that may not be all that much different than the player at #9 so it may not really matter all that much (but is fun banter for a Celtics forum).

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2021, 05:27:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

Tatum yes, Brown will probably be in that borderline range that Jimmy Butler has been in for a while.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Wrong thread

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2021, 06:30:23 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Is it really going out on a limb to say that Jaylen Brown is and has been, better than Jayson Tatum?

I'm a big fan of both of them but Tatum is not as good. He is incredibly skilled but his mind and entitlement holds him back. Like, earn it dude. Let other people care who is a top 10 player.

It is never a good sign when someones aspires to be 'top 10,' the best don't care. Jayson comes across as immature and out of touch.

JB, to me, is doing saying and being all the right things. I kind of feel bad for him.

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Is it really going out on a limb to say that Jaylen Brown is and has been, better than Jayson Tatum?

I'm a big fan of both of them but Tatum is not as good. He is incredibly skilled but his mind and entitlement holds him back. Like, earn it dude. Let other people care who is a top 10 player.

It is never a good sign when someones aspires to be 'top 10,' the best don't care. Jayson comes across as immature and out of touch.

JB, to me, is doing saying and being all the right things. I kind of feel bad for him.
Brown feels like he could be a force in more ways than one. A Russell level player.

Tatum feels like Kobe.

Both guys should be elite. It's on coaching and the gm to get the most out of them

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yes.  Tatum is better and impacts winning a lot more than Brown and it isn't all that close.

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes.  Tatum is better and impacts winning a lot more than Brown and it isn't all that close.
You can say this over and over again but that doesn't make it true. I do not care about your +/- stats and team win loss when one of them are out.

Fact is their greatest achievements and greatest disappointments have come together. Tatum has always been given the easiest defensive assignment while Brown and Smart the hardest. Tatum can be successful because of Brown and vice versa.

The difference each makes towards winning is, in my opinion, extremely close. Much, much closer than your constant definitive statements make it out to be.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 08:45:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You can say this over and over again but that doesn't make it true. I do not care about your +/- stats and team win loss when one of them are out.

Fact is their greatest achievements and greatest disappointments have come together. Tatum has always been given the easiest defensive assignment while Brown and Smart the hardest. Tatum can be successful because of Brown and vice versa.

The difference each makes towards winning is, in my opinion, extremely close. Much, much closer than your constant definitive statements make it out to be.
Sure and Boston is still 1-0 again this year when Brown doesn't play continuing the multi-year trend that the team wins at the same or better pace when Brown doesn't play at all. 

At some point you guys are just going to have to come to terms with that fact.