Author Topic: Transition of Power - All Things Presidential Thread  (Read 215107 times)

Re: Transition of Power - All Things Presidential Thread
« Reply #2100 on: August 10, 2022, 08:45:00 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 284
first they came for roger stone, and i said “great.” next, they came for alex jones and i said “good news.” then they came for donald trump and i said “this is also excellent”

https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1556814855792910336

« Reply #2101 on: August 11, 2022, 12:32:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 919
Does anyone have any theories on why Trump had hoarded these documents or what he was planning to do with them?  It was clearly a violation of the law for him to have taken these out of the White House.  It has been reported that his representatives lied about the documents to the National Archives and the FBI.  Clearly, he saw some value in withholding these documents.

But why?  What was he going to do with them?

I think it might be as simple as he’s never been told he can’t have something he wanted, and for some reason he wanted these things.  So he assumed he could have a 10-year lawsuit and keep them in the meantime.

Yes, my initial gut feeling, without knowing what the documents were, was that he wanted them as mementos, was told he wasn't allowed to and ignored the advice because, well, he didn't think it applied to him or he didn't think he would get caught.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #2102 on: August 18, 2022, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8714
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't know where to put this so thought this was good a place as any:

Allen Weisselberg, the former chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, pleaded guilty Thursday to his role in a 15-year-long tax fraud scheme, and as part of the deal he has agreed to testify against former President Donald Trump's real estate company at trial.

In court Thursday, Weisselberg said, "Yes, your honor" when asked if he was pleading guilty of his own choice.
Weisselberg pleaded guilty to 15 felonies and admitted he failed to pay taxes on $1.7 million in income, including luxury perks, such as rent and utilities for a Manhattan apartment, leases for a pair of Mercedes-Benz cars and private school tuition for his grandchildren.

He admitted to concealing those benefits from his accountant to under-report his income and knowingly omitting the income from his personal tax returns.
Weisselberg answered a series of specific questions about the scheme from the judge in a hushed and barely audible tone, saying "Yes, your honor" repeatedly.

As part of the deal, he will pay nearly $2 million in back taxes, interest and penalties and waive any right to appeal.

How many others will get caught up in the net of all of the investigations of Trump and his businesses and Foundation?

« Reply #2103 on: August 18, 2022, 12:23:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Trump is also caught up in Vince McMahon's issues with WWE as it appears McMahon paid upwards of $5 million to the Trump Foundation and improperly recorded it causing problems for the corporation.

The $5 million happened at the same time Trump was paid $100,000 for appearances on WWE programming. We're those payments just ways of avoiding taxes for Trump? I wonder if this gets on the IRS' radar.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 12:29:05 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2104 on: August 18, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26007
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
Didn't know where to put this so thought this was good a place as any:

Allen Weisselberg, the former chief financial officer of the Trump Organization, pleaded guilty Thursday to his role in a 15-year-long tax fraud scheme, and as part of the deal he has agreed to testify against former President Donald Trump's real estate company at trial.

In court Thursday, Weisselberg said, "Yes, your honor" when asked if he was pleading guilty of his own choice.
Weisselberg pleaded guilty to 15 felonies and admitted he failed to pay taxes on $1.7 million in income, including luxury perks, such as rent and utilities for a Manhattan apartment, leases for a pair of Mercedes-Benz cars and private school tuition for his grandchildren.

He admitted to concealing those benefits from his accountant to under-report his income and knowingly omitting the income from his personal tax returns.
Weisselberg answered a series of specific questions about the scheme from the judge in a hushed and barely audible tone, saying "Yes, your honor" repeatedly.

As part of the deal, he will pay nearly $2 million in back taxes, interest and penalties and waive any right to appeal.

How many others will get caught up in the net of all of the investigations of Trump and his businesses and Foundation?

Yeah, long before he was president Trump and his properties were really huge tax cheats.  I know that from his tax battles in New Jersey, but I'm sure it's true of every jurisdiction he has touched.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2105 on: August 18, 2022, 12:31:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Question for the Dems and Never Trumpers:  have you ever liked him?

Obviously, not as a presidential candidate, but did he ever charm you?  Home Alone 2?  Apprentice / Celebrity Apprentice?  Doing Oprah appearances?  WWE stunts?

I've gotta admit, I used to enjoy the Apprentice shows, back around 2003 or so.  I never took him seriously, though, including up through the 2016 primaries.  I always figured that America would wake up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2106 on: August 18, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590

Obviously, not as a presidential candidate, but did he ever charm you?  Home Alone 2?  Apprentice / Celebrity Apprentice?  Doing Oprah appearances?  WWE stunts?

I've gotta admit, I used to enjoy the Apprentice shows, back around 2003 or so.  I never took him seriously, though, including up through the 2016 primaries.  I always figured that America would wake up.

For the record, I am a staunch independent.  I have voted on both sides of the aisle, such as Charlie Baker, Ronald Reagan (twice), never voted for Bill Clinton.

I think the more accurate way for me to say it was that I never had any problem with Donald Trump.  He was just some flamboyant developer from New York.  Not someone I would bother to form an opinion on.

As I started to consider him in the context of a presidential primary candidate, I would say my first impression was that he was a clown which implies a sort of harmlessness.  Then there was the "Mexicans are rapists" comments and I started to become leery of him, not so much of him specifically but leery that people were still willing to support him in spite of the character that he was revealing.

Now of course it is clear that he is entirely corrupt and tried (still is trying actually) to corrupt the entire country for personal gain at the expense of democracy.  And people are still supporting, appeasing, enabling, (fill in the blank) him.

« Reply #2107 on: August 18, 2022, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 69

For the record, I am a staunch independent.  I have voted on both sides of the aisle, such as Charlie Baker, Ronald Reagan (twice), never voted for Bill Clinton.

I think the more accurate way for me to say it was that I never had any problem with Donald Trump.  He was just some flamboyant developer from New York.  Not someone I would bother to form an opinion on.

As I started to consider him in the context of a presidential primary candidate, I would say my first impression was that he was a clown which implies a sort of harmlessness.  Then there was the "Mexicans are rapists" comments and I started to become leery of him, not so much of him specifically but leery that people were still willing to support him in spite of the character that he was revealing.

Now of course it is clear that he is entirely corrupt and tried (still is trying actually) to corrupt the entire country for personal gain at the expense of democracy.  And people are still supporting, appeasing, enabling, (fill in the blank) him.
Yup, in the 90's he was considered a clown and a goof. I didn't know him or his show enough to really gather a real opinion of him. I thought he did whatever he could for ratings and overall he was a sneaky individual. My true distain for him started when he questioned Obama and 'birther-gate'. He at that time KNEW he was fabricating lies but he was doing it for his own ego and the show. From that point for me it all went downhill. I remember in 2016 when he was elected I remember telling my boss at the time, that I WANT the best for the country so I will support him. Soon after getting into office he seemed to show how incompetent he really was and how he was doing things just for show and false bravado. Prime Example: Having Sean Spicer lie about crowd size at he inauguration.

« Reply #2108 on: August 18, 2022, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2175

Yup, in the 90's he was considered a clown and a goof. I didn't know him or his show enough to really gather a real opinion of him. I thought he did whatever he could for ratings and overall he was a sneaky individual. My true distain for him started when he questioned Obama and 'birther-gate'. He at that time KNEW he was fabricating lies but he was doing it for his own ego and the show. From that point for me it all went downhill. I remember in 2016 when he was elected I remember telling my boss at the time, that I WANT the best for the country so I will support him. Soon after getting into office he seemed to show how incompetent he really was and how he was doing things just for show and false bravado. Prime Example: Having Sean Spicer lie about crowd size at he inauguration.

I feel like I’ve always been aware of Trump.  Never liked him but of course never expected him to become what he’s become.   He came across to me as an obnoxious, arrogant, aggressive, millionaire but harmless in the bigger picture until his interjection into the Central Park 5 case. He was poisoning minds back then (1989) contributing to the hell experienced by the 5 young men who were eventually (after 10 years) exonerated.  No apology by Trump of course.  I never watched a full episode of Apprentice, just an occasional clip here and there. He seemed pretty obnoxious.

« Reply #2109 on: August 18, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I am a Dem, when Donald was a Dem my only thought was that he is a buffoon.  I never thought he would carry Roy Cohn principles to the Presidency.  The idea that he is perceived as anything other than a corrupt, greedy, ignorant buffoon baffles me every day.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #2110 on: August 18, 2022, 03:54:50 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 391

I enjoyed the Apprentice for a season or 2, but he got tiresome quickly.  I laughed at his candidacy when he came down the escalator, but a month later when he mocked John McCain for being captured, and became more popular, I became very fearful that he’d win.  That should have been disqualifying early in the race — that it wasn’t made me realize how much the GOP base had changed.

« Reply #2111 on: August 18, 2022, 04:06:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Had very little opinion of him until he announced his presidential run. Then, knowing he was a accused of various sexual harassment and alleged sexual assault allegations, I looked deeper into him. All the bad stuff was right there to see and mostly out in the open.

Once he started with labeling Mexicans as drug dealers and rapists and his proclivity for violence against those with different opinions, I knew immediately he would be a horrible president. Republicans, even good, level headed Republicans, blew off his calls for beating up protesters and punching people in the face that didn't support him in his rallies as being nothing. How blind they were. Look where that has led?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:00:46 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2112 on: September 01, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bad news for Republicans and Trump:

Democrats hold a slight edge over Republicans, 47% to 44%, when voters are asked which party they would support in their congressional district if the election were held today, a lead that is within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points. Republicans had a five-point advantage in March.

The Democratic gains come from increased support among independents, women and younger voters. Black and Hispanic voters, who have traditionally favored Democrats heavily, are also more solidly supportive of the party than they were earlier this year.

Among political independents, typically the key to victory in close elections, more voters now favor a Democratic candidate for Congress than a Republican, 38% to 35%. In March, Republicans led among independents by 12 percentage points…

Favorable views of Mr. Trump declined slightly, and Mr. Biden leads him in a hypothetical rematch of the last presidential election, 50% to 44%. The two men had been tied in March. In the test match-up, Mr. Biden leads among independents, 46% to 38%.

My prediction:  the Republicans squeak out a House majority by less than 10 seats, and the Democrats pick up seats in the Senate.  Despite this, Republican voters still nominate Trump in 2024, and he loses spectacularly to a very weak incumbent.

« Reply #2113 on: September 01, 2022, 10:40:23 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 69

Democrats hold a slight edge over Republicans, 47% to 44%, when voters are asked which party they would support in their congressional district if the election were held today, a lead that is within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus 2.7 percentage points. Republicans had a five-point advantage in March.

The Democratic gains come from increased support among independents, women and younger voters. Black and Hispanic voters, who have traditionally favored Democrats heavily, are also more solidly supportive of the party than they were earlier this year.

Among political independents, typically the key to victory in close elections, more voters now favor a Democratic candidate for Congress than a Republican, 38% to 35%. In March, Republicans led among independents by 12 percentage points…

Favorable views of Mr. Trump declined slightly, and Mr. Biden leads him in a hypothetical rematch of the last presidential election, 50% to 44%. The two men had been tied in March. In the test match-up, Mr. Biden leads among independents, 46% to 38%.

My prediction:  the Republicans squeak out a House majority by less than 10 seats, and the Democrats pick up seats in the Senate.  Despite this, Republican voters still nominate Trump in 2024, and he loses spectacularly to a very weak incumbent.
My prediction: The Republicans will have a 5 seat advantage over the Dems with Kevin McCarthy as the Speaker. Unfortunately, they will NOT get major legislation passed despite a majority due to the number of factions in the party. You'll have the MAGAs, Moderates, and the true conservatives. Kevin will have the job of herding cats. They will try to introduce articles of impeachment for Biden but fail. The Dems will take the Senate by 52-48.

« Reply #2114 on: September 01, 2022, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2175

Predicting Biden v Trump II.  What a nightmare.  I’m hoping it’s neither.   What I’d really love to see is Trump and Cheney on a debate stage. 

Despite Biden’s recent emergence as a man with a pulse, I really fear what he’ll be like 2 years from now debating Trump.  It’s fraught with peril.