Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 518021 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #6435 on: October 15, 2021, 05:22:02 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Dennis Schroder
  • Tommy Points: 11
Like Nick said, sorry for everyone's losses. Awful stuff.

And, freedom or not, I think it’s ridiculous that people don’t do their part in limiting spread.

I think it's very concerning that personal freedom is now equated to a freedom from civic responsibility. Even the most committed survivalists I know (or knew, more accurately) wouldn't agree with that.

Who decides what your civic responsibility is?

Traditionally, society.  Those who reject protecting the tribe are removed from the tribe.

Nowadays, we have a lot of freeloaders, whether that be financially or ethically.

I think you'll need to be more precise than 'society'. Because presumably people who disagree are also part of society. If, by disagreeing, they are deemed not part of society, then there is something external to either group that creates that ultimatum.

No, it’s society.  Civilization.  The thing that makes us a collective, rather than roaming individuals.  Common defense, common welfare, etc.  That’s why we formed tribes, then towns and cities and nations in the first place.  We no longer wanted to live in a state of nature, with all the dangers that come along with unbridled freedoms.

So if 'society' fails to convince enough people that something is a civic responsibility, what happens? How can something be justified on the basis that it is a civic responsibility, if it's not a civic responsibility until society has deemed it one? You see the problems here?

Yes, I see a problem, a big potential problem.  Once people decide that rules and regulations enacted to maintain a civil society are optional or an infringement on their freedoms, then there is no civil society, no democracy, no America.  Some people want to take this as far as hoarding military weapons and deeming themselves as somehow exempt from the laws of the country.  Others feel that having rules about vaccines that protect everyone is an infringement on their rights.

People have gotten themselves all worked up about this vaccine by a political infrastructure (media and elected officials) that are benefiting from the divisions.  Most of these people are probably vaccinated but it benefits them to stir up division.

I don't mow my lawn at 5:00a because I think that would make it hard for my neighbors to sleep.  That is civic responsibility or being a considerate neighbor.  Paying taxes, obeying speed limits, and yes, getting vaccinated is following the rules established by elected officials.  If you don't like the rules, advocate and vote for different politicians.  Just deciding you don't like them and won't follow them is a losing proposition for our society.

In my town, they don't allow fire pits.  I like to have a fire pit in the summer in the evening.  The problem with fire pits is they cause micro and macro air pollution.  Is it OK for me to just say screw that, I don't like that rule, I feel no civic responsibility to follow that rule, so I am going to have my fire pit when I want to?  I don't care if smoke gets in my neighbors windows and I don't believe in air pollution so I don't care, I want my fire pit.  When the police come to fine me, they aren't going to care about a philosophical discussion about who is "society" and who has decided what is my responsibility to society should be.  And if I was one of those really hard core second amendment people, when the police came to fine me, I would be fully armed and hunkered down.  How do you think that would turn out.  But my freedom!
How do you feel about "autonomous zones"

« Reply #6436 on: October 19, 2021, 06:59:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8464
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/americas/bolsonaro-homicide-covid-intl-latam/index.html

A Brazilian government report is recommending mass homicide charges be brought against Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro for his handling of the coronavirus in the country. The report alleges Bolsonaro's tactic of attempting to create herd immunity is responsible for over half of the 600,000 deaths that have occurred in Brazil during Covid-19.

That's.......interesting.

« Reply #6437 on: October 28, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2670
It appears the world reach a sad new milestone tomorrow , deaths should exceed 5 million world wide since the outbreak

In our smallish community, close to my home local man age 57 i understand in decent health, refusing to get a covid vaccine passed away despite all the other new medical procedures . Covid Got in his lungs , two weeks in hospital could not save his life . 

« Reply #6438 on: October 28, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »

Offline Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1298
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod
Something I've not heard many people talk about but let me preface this with an anecdote;

My best friend here in Australia is from Columbia. Their father and half of their extended family lost the battle to covid.

They're in a state in Australia that has had HARDLY any cases. Literally talking hundreds total. Cases. Total deaths in SINGLE digits. In years. Under 10.

Sorry for over-explaining, but I want to stress the effect this has on people, even abroad;

She hasn't been outside her home, AT ALL, in almost 2 years. Not even for grocery shopping.

There's so many side effects this bleeping disease has had on the world. Driven a wedge in society. Took away people's livelihoods. Mangled relationships.

I'd even go so far as to say that, next time something similar happens, it'll just drive that wedge deeper. Create even bigger social and economic divides. I think it's really affected our foundation. World-wide.

Dunno what we need to do with that information but the bigger picture I think is kinda bleak.

I'm sure we'll get over -whatever is next- but, it's not been pretty.

« Reply #6439 on: October 28, 2021, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8464
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta say one of the little things about this pandemic that irritates me like fingernails on a chalkboard is this:

People!! It's called a face mask!!! Not a chin mask!!!!

« Reply #6440 on: October 28, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2009
Gotta say one of the little things about this pandemic that irritates me like fingernails on a chalkboard is this:

People!! It's called a face mask!!! Not a chin mask!!!!

Yes!  I especially can’t stand the nose out of the mask. Makes my wife crazy.

« Reply #6441 on: October 29, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Josh Richardson
  • Tommy Points: 33
Something I've not heard many people talk about but let me preface this with an anecdote;

My best friend here in Australia is from Columbia. Their father and half of their extended family lost the battle to covid.

They're in a state in Australia that has had HARDLY any cases. Literally talking hundreds total. Cases. Total deaths in SINGLE digits. In years. Under 10.

Sorry for over-explaining, but I want to stress the effect this has on people, even abroad;

She hasn't been outside her home, AT ALL, in almost 2 years. Not even for grocery shopping.

There's so many side effects this bleeping disease has had on the world. Driven a wedge in society. Took away people's livelihoods. Mangled relationships.

I'd even go so far as to say that, next time something similar happens, it'll just drive that wedge deeper. Create even bigger social and economic divides. I think it's really affected our foundation. World-wide.

Dunno what we need to do with that information but the bigger picture I think is kinda bleak.

I'm sure we'll get over -whatever is next- but, it's not been pretty.

Interesting. I'm in a state in the USA that has many, many, many times that amount of cases. Even when we were in lockdown and I was laid off during that period,  I wasn't afraid to go outside my home. However,  I was smart enough not go within 6 feet of people, wear masks and primarily engage in activities like hiking, kayaking,  solo hoops, biking were I wouldn't be near anyone. When I grocery shopped, I targeted times when there would be hardly any shoppers in the store, religiously wore mask/sanitized everything,  etc. Late in the pandemic,  I did a covid antibody test just to see if what I was doing was working. I tested negative for covid antibodies.

« Reply #6442 on: November 08, 2021, 07:19:28 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Figured it's worth continuing the share of information here as we continue to live with this virus.

Was planning on going to an event. Took a lateral flow test prior to heading out, tested positive with no symptoms. Unfortunate.

Self-isolated and skipped the event as these type of tests are much more likely to be a false negative than a false positive.

Ordered a lab test (aka a PCR test) which arrived the following day, and that came back negative. No need to continue to self-isolate per current government guidelines. Huzzah.

Not at all sure if I've actually received the coveted "natural immunity" that has been the subject of so much discussion, but if I have had Covid, it was asymptomatic, which I am inclined to credit to the vaccine rather than my personal immune system and general good health as I have some family members who fell ill during the first wave and had a really awful time of it.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6443 on: November 10, 2021, 02:47:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 137
My 5 year-old got her first shot on Monday.  She was absolutely fine, back in school an hour after the vaccination, and full of her normal energy.  Fell asleep a little early that night, but also with Daylight Savings Time it's tough to say if that was a reaction to the shot or the time change (she was down about 30 minutes before normal, not hours).

She's been perfectly fine for full days of school in the two days since.  I know some people here were worried about getting their younger children vaccinated, so I just wanted to share our experience.

« Reply #6444 on: November 10, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1294
My 5 year-old got her first shot on Monday.  She was absolutely fine, back in school an hour after the vaccination, and full of her normal energy.  Fell asleep a little early that night, but also with Daylight Savings Time it's tough to say if that was a reaction to the shot or the time change (she was down about 30 minutes before normal, not hours).

She's been perfectly fine for full days of school in the two days since.  I know some people here were worried about getting their younger children vaccinated, so I just wanted to share our experience.
Good to know.  My oldest gets her first one tonight.  I got the booster on Monday and haven't missed work though feel sort of hazy.  Booster was definitely worse than either of the first two.
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #6445 on: November 10, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »

• Josh Richardson
I got coronavirus vaccine booster shot Thursday.  Only side effect I got was a sore shoulder for 5 days which is the same as the first shot for me. The second shot I had a sore shoulder for 'only' 3 days and maybe some night sweats. None of that was a big deal to me. However,  none of the other vaccinations for any other virus gave me any side effect at all, not even a sore shoulder. 

« Reply #6446 on: November 10, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I got coronavirus vaccine booster shot Thursday.  Only side effect I got was a sore shoulder for 5 days which is the same as the first shot for me. The second shot I had a sore shoulder for 'only' 3 days and maybe some night sweats. None of that was a big deal to me. However,  none of the other vaccinations for any other virus gave me any side effect at all, not even a sore shoulder.
how many vaccines have you gotten when you weren't a little kid?  Tetanus hurts like the dickens.  Flu vaccine often leaves an arm sore.  Outside of those do you even remember getting a vaccine?
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #6447 on: November 10, 2021, 10:49:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2670
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/19/americas/bolsonaro-homicide-covid-intl-latam/index.html

A Brazilian government report is recommending mass homicide charges be brought against Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro for his handling of the coronavirus in the country. The report alleges Bolsonaro's tactic of attempting to create herd immunity is responsible for over half of the 600,000 deaths that have occurred in Brazil during Covid-19.

That's.......interesting.

I ve been watching this unfold for a long time .   He might want to slip out of Brazil real quiet while he still can and lay really low .  He has a lot of enemies and they are gonna want revenge .  I pity the fool.

« Reply #6448 on: November 11, 2021, 04:38:05 PM »

• Josh Richardson
how many vaccines have you gotten when you weren't a little kid?  Tetanus hurts like the dickens.  Flu vaccine often leaves an arm sore.  Outside of those do you even remember getting a vaccine?

My parents got me all the necessary vaccines as a kid but I don't remember much of those and side effects afterwards,  if any. I recall frequent allergy shots I got as a teenager, annual flu shots since, various hepatitis shots since. Only side effects was a temporary bug bite like bump on skin from allergy injections but that was expected.

« Reply #6449 on: November 11, 2021, 04:45:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26821
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat

Go get your vaccines, Moranis!  Hep-B (depending on whether you got it as a kid), Pneumonia, shingles if you're old enough

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes