Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 458205 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #6000 on: September 14, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1202
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Bogan Nanny State commands you to get a dog up ya.
'The Bogan Nanny State' as a term immediately makes me think of Sir Joh.

I still want to know Australia is apparently regulating alcohol consumption! With our culture of casualised alcoholism I feel like this would be a very big news story.
2021 Minnesota Timberwolves:
PG: Trae Young / Jamal Murray / Jordan Clarkson
SG: Bradley Beal / Terry Rozier
SF: Bogdan Bogdanovic / Will Barton / Saddiq Bey
PF: Harrison Barnes / Aaron Gordon
C: Joel Embiid / John Collins / Mason Plumlee

« Reply #6001 on: September 14, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 308
Australia is regulating alcohol consumption now too.

Awww shoot! Only 3.2 beer just like Utah?!?

« Reply #6002 on: September 14, 2021, 07:35:56 PM »

Online Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1215
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod

I still want to know Australia is apparently regulating alcohol consumption! With our culture of casualised alcoholism I feel like this would be a very big news story.

Soz m8, can't hear ya over the sound of these tinnies going down smooth as.

« Reply #6003 on: September 14, 2021, 08:52:12 PM »

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1320
This is news to me, an Australian bartender.

https://news.yahoo.com/australian-quarantine-residences-limiting-alcohol-210800858.html

I imagine it’s not a very lucrative career field at the moment

« Reply #6004 on: September 14, 2021, 09:29:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones

https://news.yahoo.com/australian-quarantine-residences-limiting-alcohol-210800858.html

It's an attempt to prevent alcohol abuse in home quarantine. A valiant policy pursuit given the crisis of domestic violence seen through the pandemic, and the domestic violence crisis Australia has had for decades anyway.

You'd be wrong. The lack of international casual workers in Australia (ie those who left or went into other fields) has made it so that there has basically never been a higher demand for hospitality workers. As someone who works in the field to tide them over during my studies it works perfectly for me!

« Reply #6005 on: September 14, 2021, 09:41:06 PM »

Online Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Satch Sanders
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod

It's an attempt to prevent alcohol abuse in home quarantine. A valiant policy pursuit given the crisis of domestic violence seen through the pandemic, and the domestic violence crisis Australia has had for decades anyway.

You'd be wrong. The lack of international casual workers in Australia (ie those who left or went into other fields) has made it so that there has basically never been a higher demand for hospitality workers. As someone who works in the field to tide them over during my studies it works perfectly for me!

+ the way I read this, it's a limit for a "number of buildings that are quarantined". Not for "all of Australia".

I checked the state's (New South Wales) Covid website and it states very clearly there's no limit on alcohol deliveries.

https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/news-and-media/covid-19-coronavirus-faqs-for-the-liquor-and-gaming-industries

« Reply #6006 on: September 14, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones

+ the way I read this, it's a limit for a "number of buildings that are quarantined". Not for "all of Australia".

I checked the state's (New South Wales) Covid website and it states very clearly there's no limit on alcohol deliveries.

https://www.liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au/news-and-media/covid-19-coronavirus-faqs-for-the-liquor-and-gaming-industries
Yeah, it's clearly aimed at preventing people in quarantine situations from weakening their immune system through alcohol consumption and to stop DV.

I do love when American media tries to portray Australia as some draconian tyranny.

« Reply #6007 on: September 14, 2021, 10:05:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 257
Some excuses for not vaccinating I ve heard or read from people generally 20-35 years old is just mind boggling ,  how few brain cells they can have and yet have a pulse.   I heard better answers from 7 year olds .

Well..... It doesn't help that in America, the social elite are a bunch of hypocrites. They keep telling people vaccinate, social distance and wear masks but they don't bother to do the same thing. So why do anything they say if they're not even going to practice what they preach?

« Reply #6008 on: September 14, 2021, 10:34:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 110
Some excuses for not vaccinating I ve heard or read from people generally 20-35 years old is just mind boggling ,  how few brain cells they can have and yet have a pulse.   I heard better answers from 7 year olds .

Well..... It doesn't help that in America, the social elite are a bunch of hypocrites. They keep telling people vaccinate, social distance and wear masks but they don't bother to do the same thing. So why do anything they say if they're not even going to practice what they preach?

Do you have any evidence of someone who’ve advocated for vaccines and hasn’t received one themselves?  Many of the “social elites” were tripping over themselves to get vaccinated before the general population, so I’m honestly curious.

There is ample evidence of some on the right who’ve gotten the vaccine but used their influence to dissuade others from getting it, but I don’t know if any who’ve refused to get it while encouraging others to do so.

« Reply #6009 on: September 14, 2021, 10:35:47 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• Robert Williams
  • Tommy Points: 11

Why would you listen to the social elite? Why not listen to scientists?

« Reply #6010 on: September 15, 2021, 12:25:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 756

This data is out of England, where they only use 2-dose vaccines I think.  A US study would likely have a category of X days after fully vaccinated, which your uncle would fall under.  I'm sorry for your family's loss.

Thanks  :) He was old and had a number of co-morbidities so we were prepared. Just goes to show that vaccines, while tremendously effective, aren't a guarantee of anything. You still have to look after yourself especially if you are in a high risk category.

When I lived in Sydney we "regulated" the consumption of alcohol by making sure we only had one schooner (love how you call your glasses) every half hour.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 12:39:41 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6011 on: September 15, 2021, 01:04:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Sam Jones

This data is out of England, where they only use 2-dose vaccines I think.  A US study would likely have a category of X days after fully vaccinated, which your uncle would fall under.  I'm sorry for your family's loss.

Thanks  :) He was old and had a number of co-morbidities so we were prepared. Just goes to show that vaccines, while tremendously effective, aren't a guarantee of anything. You still have to look after yourself especially if you are in a high risk category.

When I lived in Sydney we "regulated" the consumption of alcohol by making sure we only had one schooner (love how you call your glasses) every half hour.
Back in the day we used to have ponies too, to accompany pints, schooners, pots and jugs. There are more that are specific to states, like a butcher in SA or a bobby in WA, but you mostly see pints, schooners and pots nowadays. 

« Reply #6012 on: September 15, 2021, 01:37:51 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 257

Why would you listen to the social elite? Why not listen to scientists?

Don't ask me ask the folks who follow them.

« Reply #6013 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:31 AM »

Online Kiorrik

• Global Moderator
  • Satch Sanders
  • pɹɐnƃ ʇuıod
I just love how people are refusing to listen to people that make science their lives. And instead listen to "Health Coach Becky" and "Alternative Medicine Bob" etc.

Humans are the dumbest.

« Reply #6014 on: September 15, 2021, 06:09:38 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Kemba Walker
  • Tommy Points: 35

Same thing here with regards to lockdown restrictions, in particular, on both sides of the spectrum:

E.g. Dominic Cummings's drive to Barnard Castle, Matt Hancock (Health Secretary at the time) continuing his affair inside the Department of Health, Rita Ora holding a lockdown-breaking party for her 30th, etc.

However, the fact that the people who are comparatively well to do have little to offer the rest of us aside from their contempt doesn't detract from the science, which is saying the same thing.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.