Author Topic: Brady behind in recovery, could miss another season!!  (Read 10212 times)

Re: Brady behind in recovery, could miss another season!!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
What is the cost to franchise a QB in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

Might be a nice 1 year contract.

Its around 14 million a year, but it could shrink if old man farve retires. no sure how much.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The Patriots could also negotiate a long term deal with Cassell (equivalent to what he could get in free agency minus a small home town discount) and then trade him after next season.  Franchising isn't the only option.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
This makes it all the worse that they didnt win last years superbowl, because I dont think Brady is ever going to be the same and if he had that 4th superbowl and an undefeated MVP season he clearly would be the greatest QB ever, now his career is in shambles and I quite frankly kinda want to Keep Cassell regardless...Trade bait brady???   :o
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 11:18:24 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
This makes it all the worse that they didnt win last years superbowl, because I dont think Brady is ever going to be the same and if he had that 4th superbowl and an undefeated MVP season he clearly would be the greatest QB ever, now his career is in shambles and I quite frankly kinda want to Keep Cassell regardless...Trade bait brady???   :o

Its a knee injury to a non-mobile QB. I'll save my doom and gloom for after he gets back.

Its one thing if a guy like vick or culpepper takes a knee injury, its another for a guy like tom.

I'm sure he will still be able to slide step 3 feet to his right or left or forward and throw the football.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Its a knee injury to a non-mobile QB. I'll save my doom and gloom for after he gets back.

Its one thing if a guy like vick or culpepper takes a knee injury, its another for a guy like tom.

I'm sure he can still slide step 3 feet to his right or left and throw the football.

Brady is getting past his prime anyways, and if hes gonna miss another season than  it will be even more questionable...I think Cassell showed alot this season and Brady is not only coming back from injury, but how many years does he have left in his prime if any?
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The Patriots could also negotiate a long term deal with Cassell (equivalent to what he could get in free agency minus a small home town discount) and then trade him after next season.  Franchising isn't the only option.

Its a possibility, although I can't see it happening unless there is an opt-out built in for Cassell.  This is his chance to cash in, and he is not going to take significantly less money than he would get on the open market to stay with the Pats...and the Pats aren't going to pay him close to a team desperate for their starter for the next 5-6 years would pay him.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
i wonder if the anonymous source has any creditability and that this is in fact true.  if it is....it sucks :(

Rest easy, Dark Lord.  Any source from the National Enquirer of the alphabet networks has no credibility.  I'd believe the report more if it came from Jamele Hill or steven i smith.  I'd give it a 50-1 chance of being accurate then based on the blind squirrel concept.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I'm sure he can still slide step 3 feet to his right or left and throw the football.

Brady is getting past his prime anyways, and if hes gonna miss another season than  it will be even more questionable...I think Cassell showed alot this season and Brady is not only coming back from injury, but how many years does he have left in his prime if any?

at (assuming worst case scnario and he misses next season) 32? 2-3 at prime or near it, then a slow decline.

this is an NFL in which QB's are protected within an inch of thier lives. Thats whats allowing farve, warner, garcia, mcnabb, manning, pennington, ect will all be playing well until 35+

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but during my ride in to work I heard on an EEI sports flash that this story has already been contested by Sports Illustrated; they're accusing the Patriots of floating the story in order to place themselves in a better bargaining position with regards to trading Cassel.

I took a quick look at SI.com but couldnt pull a link.  Wondering if anyone else caught that flash on EEI as well?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but during my ride in to work I heard on an EEI sports flash that this story has already been contested by Sports Illustrated; they're accusing the Patriots of floating the story in order to place themselves in a better bargaining position with regards to trading Cassel.

I took a quick look at SI.com but couldnt pull a link.  Wondering if anyone else caught that flash on EEI as well?

Well, according to ESPN.com, the globe is refuting it too, saying that NFL sources, and sources close to Brady say its not true, and he is on track with his rehab.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

Well, according to ESPN.com, the globe is refuting it too, saying that NFL sources, and sources close to Brady say its not true, and he is on track with his rehab.

Gotcha.  I'm sure the Patriots don't mind this type of attention on Brady anyways, teams will try to lowball the Pats front office with trade offers for Cassell with the excuse "hey, you can't afford to pay him $14 mill as a backup."  If no one can get a straight answer on Brady's health besides Kraft/Pioli/Belichek it drives up the price on Cassell.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Gotcha.  I'm sure the Patriots don't mind this type of attention on Brady anyways, teams will try to lowball the Pats front office with trade offers for Cassell with the excuse "hey, you can't afford to pay him $14 mill as a backup."  If no one can get a straight answer on Brady's health besides Kraft/Pioli/Belichek it drives up the price on Cassell.

well the problem is thier is no price on matt execpt 14 million. He's out of contract with us in about a month.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

well the problem is thier is no price on matt execpt 14 million. He's out of contract with us in about a month.

i'm referencing the price that other teams will have to pay (in the form of draft picks) in order to aquire Cassell from the Pats.

DKC Utah Jazz