Author Topic: NBA Start Date: Focusing on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 18)  (Read 4578 times)

Re: NBA Start Date: Focusing on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 18)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
How about the Buffalo Raptors until COVID is settled?

I wonder if they're gonna do several bubbles, or do it NFL-style and have teams actually travel to teams' arena.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't know why they are starting so late. They should have just taken 2-3 weeks off and started the new season like they did in Europe with soccer.

Keep as similar a schedule as possible. Reduce long term effects off COVID on schedule planning.

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I don't know why they are starting so late. They should have just taken 2-3 weeks off and started the new season like they did in Europe with soccer.

Keep as similar a schedule as possible. Reduce long term effects off COVID on schedule planning.
Was European soccer played in a bubble?  The NBA and players have to agree to the parameters of the new season which won't be in a bubble.  The players wouldn't agree to only 2-3 weeks off.  The NBA also has to hold the draft and free agency. 

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I figured a Christmas Day opening would have made the most sense. Maybe make the season 70 or so games, get playoffs started the beginning of May. Have it finish before the Olympics.

I understand the logistics of figuring everything out under these circumstances must be very difficult, but I’m not sure what the extra 4 weeks between Christmas and MLK will solve. They could’ve had the draft/free agency the first/second week of November, and then open camps right after Thanksgiving.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

It is long term schedule planning and exactly what the NBA wants...start up as football is ending.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

They want fans at the arenas, so the later they start the better their chances to get fans back inside.  Major $$ at stake here.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:42:26 PM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9

It is long term schedule planning and exactly what the NBA wants...start up as football is ending.

Actually they want the complete opposite, they want to get back to normalcy, the ratings were dreadful Under the new schedule

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

They want fans at the arenas, so the later they start the better their chances to get fans back inside.  Major $$ at stake here.

If that's what they want then they may as well skip the next season, there's no way things will be any better this winter, and spring is too late to start the season.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 06:42:28 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Actually they want the complete opposite, they want to get back to normalcy, the ratings were dreadful Under the new schedule

The new season will end before football starts, so not exactly the same schedule. Also, sports viewership was down across all sports, as well as TV viewership in general. The bad ratings were not just an nba thing. Letting competition is a great way to increased viewers. Oh, and not playing games at 4 in the afternoon too. Haha

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Shams reporting NBA targeting December 22 as start date with a 72-game schedule.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
12/22 would be super soon.  Not that I'm complaining.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 03:00:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shams reporting NBA targeting December 22 as start date with a 72-game schedule.

That makes sense, as I believe 72 games is the magic number to get the full amount of TV money.  They're going to have to take the hit on ticket sales one way or the other, they can't lose the TV money too.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
72 games would be much better.  Regular season is too long. 

Also, starting Dec. 22 gets this thing done in time for the 2021 Olympics although I still have no idea how IOC will pull that off besides just being downright hellbent at no matter what cost.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 03:11:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can buy into this.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The NBA is planning to continue discussions with NBPA on 2020-2021 start plans that would include an opening night in the days prior to Christmas, 70-to-72 regular season games and a play-in tournament, sources tell ESPN.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
2m
Sources: NBA and Board Governors continued discussion on call today about playing something resembling more of a baseball series to limit travel outside of bubble. For example, a team might travel to New York and play its two road games against Knicks and one vs. Nets.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team