Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 242033 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1590 on: December 25, 2018, 12:13:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He looked unprepared to play last night. His worst performance thus far. Seems like Stevens coaching him not to go for blocks makes him more tentative, less aggressive, less intuitive.
considering his intuition has led him to be consistently out of position, this may be a good learning experience for him. he needs to improve his team defense.

Yep. He's a highlight reel and he's got all the tools to be more than that but it'll take some time. Having Horford around will be great.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1591 on: December 25, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Merry Christmas, Bob.

Merry xmas time lord

« Reply #1592 on: December 25, 2018, 02:43:29 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
He looked unprepared to play last night. His worst performance thus far. Seems like Stevens coaching him not to go for blocks makes him more tentative, less aggressive, less intuitive.
considering his intuition has led him to be consistently out of position, this may be a good learning experience for him. he needs to improve his team defense.
What game are you watching? he is almost always in position, one of our best team defender already

« Reply #1593 on: December 25, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Williams was terrible in his time in the first half against Drummond. He just got out muscled. Tonight, Williams looked every bit a raw rookie.

But it happens. Drummond is a beast and Williams hasn't played against guys that big and strong yet in the league. And who expects late round rookies to be very impressive every game? Good learning experience. Williams will have a bunch more great, good and bad games if he keeps getting minutes. It's to be expected.
It's funny to expect a rookie to outmuscles Drummond that all i need to say

« Reply #1594 on: December 25, 2018, 02:53:12 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Yeah just shows how coach-able he is, definitely followed the order

« Reply #1595 on: December 25, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
untouchable
untradeable?

« Reply #1596 on: December 25, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What game are you watching? he is almost always in position, one of our best team defender already
Ummm...you might be watching something many others, including Mike and Scal and Coach Stevens, aren't seeing because many, many posters have seen Williams is a good one on one defender but not good at team defense. Mike and Scal have mentioned it during broadcasts. And if Coach Stevens agreed with you that Williams is one of the team's best team defenders, Williams would have played more than garbage minutes against Charlotte.

Williams team defense is okay but he needs a ton of work on it to be a better team defender than Horford, Baynes or Theis.

« Reply #1597 on: December 25, 2018, 05:08:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a rookie, so I expect him to get better, he is already way better than the reports that caused him to drop in the draft.

« Reply #1598 on: December 27, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
DNP on Xmas day

Update: announced as Out (sore left leg) for HOU game
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 06:45:41 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #1599 on: December 28, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
And now @MookMorris2 weighs in on @rob_williamsIII's nickname:

"I like Timelord. Lob Williams kind of restricts him from all the other things that he does. He's hell of a defensive player. I am a big fan of Timelord."

We know @danielrainge doesn't like it, but...

@MookMorris2: "I mean, Danny doesn't like a lot of stuff. That doesn't mean you gotta change it."

https://twitter.com/timi_093/status/1078771469730148353?s=21

« Reply #1600 on: December 28, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
He is a rookie, so I expect him to get better, he is already way better than the reports that caused him to drop in the draft.

I like that I've seen some heads-up play when he's been out there.  Not that there haven't been many bonehead mistakes.  But, he makes extra passes, he goes up strong at the right times, he blocks with patience, he doesn't foul nearly as much as I'd expect, he goes up hard for rebounds and often positions well.   And his shot doesn't look bad at all. 

Also, if you can go by body language, he seems engaged, seems to be an invested team member, and appears to be working.  He also doesn't showboat at all, even after dunks and blocks.

« Reply #1601 on: January 02, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I can't imagine Red telling Bill Russell not to go for blocks. Having seen Russell from his first game as a rookie, I can assure you that was far from the case.

I don't know what Stevens thinks about Williams' play, but I do know the Celtics are weak in the paint against big men, middle men and small men. And planting that kid in there protecting the rim isn't very complicated.

« Reply #1602 on: January 02, 2019, 11:17:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I can't imagine Red telling Bill Russell not to go for blocks. Having seen Russell from his first game as a rookie, I can assure you that was far from the case.

I don't know what Stevens thinks about Williams' play, but I do know the Celtics are weak in the paint against big men, middle men and small men. And planting that kid in there protecting the rim isn't very complicated.
Game has changed in a huge way since Russell played. In the 1950's and 1960's going after every shot to block it was good basketball. In today's game with so many more ridiculously athletic and skilled players and the advent of team defenses rather than just man to man defense, going for every block isn't smart basketball.

« Reply #1603 on: January 02, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Game has changed in a huge way since Russell played. In the 1950's and 1960's going after every shot to block it was good basketball. In today's game with so many more ridiculously athletic and skilled players and the advent of team defenses rather than just man to man defense, going for every block isn't smart basketball.
Going for every block isn't good basketball but going for enough blocks to intimidate the opponents from driving the lane is. 

« Reply #1604 on: January 03, 2019, 12:22:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Going for every block isn't good basketball but going for enough blocks to intimidate the opponents from driving the lane is.
Going for blocks and making them is good basketball. Going for blocks at the expense of team defense and giving up easy layups because of it is bad basketball. There is no such thing as trying to swat away at "enough" shots to intimidate teams no matter the result of the attempt. If you just jump and try to block everything, that can be game planned for. And because of that, those type of players will never play for Stevens.