Author Topic: How To Beat The Miami Heat? (Just Comment)  (Read 10338 times)

Re: How To Beat The Miami Heat? (Just Comment)
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
1. Ball movement and reversal - they are a very good defensive team and the only way to break them down is with top quality ball movement.

2. Elite defense - make James and Wade work for their points, and allow the others to do as little as possible. It is ESSENTIAL not to get broken down defensively up top, as we've been prone to do in the last couple of years. Our legs aren't young enough to handle the rotations if we do.
Apply as much on-ball pressure on the ballhandler as the situation - injuries, fouls, et al - will allow.

3. Good shot selection - Limit the wild threes, move the basketball and let the ball find the best shot.

4. Limit the Heat's offensive rebounds.

5. Value possessions. Eliminate the spectacular, low-percentage pass and trade it for ball movement from side to side.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pray that Pierce and Green can stop Lebron
Or wear lucky hat.

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Hope lebron breaks his leg getting off the bus on his way to game 1 vs the celtics.

I don't. I want to beat the Heat with Lebron! How many people called the Heat's title last year illegitimate because of Rose's injury? I want an indisputable win.

Also, unfortunately, I don't hate Lebron nearly as much as I once did. He's a good guy. The real scumbag is Wade.
Agreed on Lebron vs. Wade. Lebron just plays the game. Wade is constantly whining to refs and can sometimes have anger issues.

Here is a question for you. What do you prefer?

1) Beating the Heat without Lebron.
2) Losing to the Heat with Lebron.

I'll take #1

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Good question.

Here would be my idea as I put on my coaching hat.

You need a wing player who can defend Lebron really well.
(see Tony Allen.)

Lebron is VERY good, but he's NOT unguardable. Like any other player, if you defend him well enough, he will crumble.

There was a time where Paul defended Lebron really well but Paul has gotten older and Lebron has gotten better.

Honestly, this is where we'll need Jeff Green the most!
Fortunately, Green defended Lebron REALLY well on that Sunday afternoon game in January.

If he can continue to do that, then bring on Miami

OH, also not just Lebron, but be leery of Chris Bosh.
In the last two playoff series, Bosh has been a thorn on our side.

KG needs to do a better job defending and posting out Bosh.

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Good question.

Here would be my idea as I put on my coaching hat.

You need a wing player who can defend Lebron really well.
(see Tony Allen.)

Lebron is VERY good, but he's NOT unguardable. Like any other player, if you defend him well enough, he will crumble.

There was a time where Paul defended Lebron really well but Paul has gotten older and Lebron has gotten better.

Honestly, this is where we'll need Jeff Green the most!
Fortunately, Green defended Lebron REALLY well on that Sunday afternoon game in January.

If he can continue to do that, then bring on Miami

OH, also not just Lebron, but be leery of Chris Bosh.
In the last two playoff series, Bosh has been a thorn on our side.

KG needs to do a better job defending and posting out Bosh.

When lebron has bad games its more on him than the defender. There's not a defender in this league that can shut down lebron unless lebron allows it to happen. Yes, hes that good. You said it yourself, green played about as good of defense as you can hope for on lebron.

Yet, lebron still scored 34 points that game on 48 percent shooting. That's as close to lebron crumbling as you're going to get.

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2013, 01:41:27 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Do what we did last year, but have big games from Green, Bradley, Bass, Terry, Lee, Crawford. Bench will win us many games...

Who knows if we even play Miami? ;)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline celtsfan619

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
you beat the heat by crashing the boards and points in the paint. That is why Memphis and Indiana have relatively good success against them.

Next thing you gotta do is make Lebron a scorer. When Lebum is passing the ball and getting his teammates open looks its quite difficult to stop the team, however when you shut down wade (which is possible) and Bosh.

That would be my approach to beat them

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
When lebron has bad games its more on him than the defender. There's not a defender in this league that can shut down lebron unless lebron allows it to happen. Yes, hes that good. You said it yourself, green played about as good of defense as you can hope for on lebron.

Yet, lebron still scored 34 points that game on 48 percent shooting. That's as close to lebron crumbling as you're going to get.
[/quote]

I suppose that's true. I am just thinking back to 2010 we were a very good defensive team. We didn't even let Lebron see the day of light and he literally self-destructed.

Granted, he's gotten better since then and he has a better team to work with.

However, he does have a weakness. It's up to the opposing team to find it.

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
If his bad games are on him, make all the games on him. Let him shoot fifty shots and make thirty. Just make sure Bosh, Wade, Ray, Battier, Miller don't start hitting.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"