Author Topic: Celtics bar in New York?  (Read 10751 times)

Celtics bar in New York?
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:28:30 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I didn't really know where to post this thread so I hope it has its place here.

As you may know, I'm living in France. For the next holidays, I'm going to New York, and since I'll quit the city the 19th april, I thought it would be cool to watch the first game of the Celtics in the playoffs there, assuming that they play on the 18th and not the 19th.

So I wonder if you know a Celtics bar or a non-Celtics bar but "NBA bound", in which they broadcast the NBA playoffs? I'd like to watch the game with a good atmosphere and if possible with Celtics fans, since there is none of these two criterias here in Paris.

Also, this question will probably sound stupid to you but I don't know the US rules so I prefer to ask : are you allowed to go in a bar in New York when you're 19? I don't know if it's just the consommation of alcohol which is forbidden for people under 21 or if even the entry in a bar is forbidden.

Re: Celtics bar in New York?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:02 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Professor Thom's plays all the Boston team's games, I have caught a few C's games there.

http://www.professorthoms.com/professorthoms.html

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 06:51:15 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
To Enter Bar: Either over 18 or 21, depends on the bar, I think.

To Drink: Over 21.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Thanks for these two quick and useful responses, TP for you two!

If you have others address I'll note them too, but this bar seems cool.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Bump!

As my trip approaches, I was wondering if you knew a "small" restaurant/fast-food, in New York, which broadcasts C's games. I think it may be better than a bar since I won't drink.

I went to NY last summer and I ate in a good fast-food that made cheese sandwiches. The place was famous (it was in my guide) but I can't remember its name. They were big Mets' supporters, and broadcasted the team's games.

So I'm wondering if this kind of fast-foods is a common place in the USA, a combo of food and the support of a team? Of course it would be nice to find a Celtics-related fast-food so your responses would be much appreciated. :P

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The best bar in NYC is Tavern on Jane, at the corner of Jane St. and 8th Ave in the Village. And that opinion has nothing to do with the fact that my bro owns it.  Plus he is a huge Boston sports fan (we both grew up in NH) including the Celtics.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »

Offline bMunch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 28
phebe's on bowery and 4th. it's a bar, they serve good food and the owners are from vermont and massachusetts so they play boston sports.

google map is here
“Man, I come home putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball. It’s sad, man." -- Kevin Garnett

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 06:34:33 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Thanks for your answers, I'll take all the addresses and choose between all these places. Tp's!

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
The Riviera on 4th St and 7th Ave would be a good one.  It's a cafe/restaurant/bar that caters to Boston sports.  I always thought of it as more of a place for Red Sox and Patriots though I haven't been there since the C's turnaround.  Big screen TV's in the restaurant area and and several smaller ones lined up behind the bar.

http://rivieracafe.ypguides.net/

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Thanks and TP for this additional address RMO!

I'm going to New York tomorrow, I won't have Internet there (or limited access) so I'll tell you where I went when I'm back here but I'd like to thank you all once more, I've noted all your addresses. :)

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
I came back from my trip this morning, it was really great and I hope I can go back in the USA soon!

However, I didn't went to any of the Celtics' bars mentioned in this thread because of a lack of time : I had planned to visit the Madison Square Garden Saturday and the all-access tour began at 2:00 pm so I watched the first half of the game in my hotel room and then went to the Madison.

It's too bad that I bothered you to get the addresses and finally didn't went there but I walked in front on Phebe's Saturday night, and it was a total coincidence. The place seemed cool and I'm sure I'll be able to get there if I get back to NYC one day (even though my plan is to go to Boston next time). ;D