Author Topic: why lock?  (Read 10924 times)

why lock?
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i know jeff stated that the "cb lost its way" and "you yes you can make CB better" have run their courses, but i dont understand the logic behind locking them.  i think both of those are good threads bc they sparked dialogue and helped to create new ideas.

there are hundereds upon hundreds of "dead" threads laying around the blog....why arent those locked too? seems inconsistent.

not trying to be a pain, i just dont understand the logic.  i especially think the "you yes you can make cb better" thread should remain open as a way to post new ideas without having to create a new thread.

Re: why lock?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
dead honest truth: it was painful to see that thread pop up every 12 hours

I don't believe that the title of the thread was consistent with how the majority of people on this site really feel and it was really hurtful to me to see it over and over again

so there ya go

I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is that I locked it because I wanted to

if you really really feel like it is a relevant topic, go ahead and create a new one
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:21:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

I don't believe that the title of the thread was consistent with how the majority of people on this site really feel and it was really hurtful to me to see it over and over again

so there ya go

I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is that I locked it because I wanted to

if you really really feel like it is a relevant topic, go ahead and create a new one

I think this has been your best post in your CB history.

"I did it because I wanted to".

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

so there ya go

ya know what jeff, i could sit here and say that it is censorship and how i disagree with it....

but i appreciate the truth! thanks for being honest, even if i disagree with it.  tp

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

so there ya go

ya know what jeff, i could sit here and say that it is censorship and how i disagree with it....

but i appreciate the truth! thanks for being honest, even if i disagree with it.  tp
Censorship? Jeff has said you're free to start a new thread if you think more needs to be said on the issue.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

so there ya go

Censorship? Jeff has said you're free to start a new thread if you think more needs to be said on the issue.

the thread was locked bc he didnt like seeing it, no other reason than that, which he admitted.  that makes it censorship.  if it were inappropriate or broke some type of rule, it would be fine to lock, but to lock it bc he didnt like the topic is censorship in this particular case.  why start a new thread on the same topic if the thread already existed?

like i said initially.....the "you yes you can make cb better" thread should never have been locked.  i dont think the cb lost its way should have been locked either, but its jeff's place and if he wants to lock it he can.  but the "you yes you can make cb better" was a positive thread and should be kept open bc only good could come from it.  just my two cents

like i said b4, although i disagree with his act of locking the threads.....i really do appreciate the fact jeff called a spade and spade and was honest in his reasoning behind it.  i respect honest people, whether i agree with them or not. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:28:55 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:44:26 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

so there ya go

the thread was locked bc he didnt like seeing it, no other reason than that, which he admitted.  that makes it censorship.  if it were inappropriate or broke some type of rule, it would be fine to lock, but to lock it bc he didnt like the topic is censorship in this particular case.  why start a new thread on the same topic if the thread already existed?

like i said initially.....the "you yes you can make cb better" thread should never have been locked.  i dont think the cb lost its way should have been locked either, but its jeff's place and if he wants to lock it he can.  but the "you yes you can make cb better" was a positive thread and should be kept open bc only good could come from it.  just my two cents

like i said b4, although i disagree with his act of locking the threads.....i really do appreciate the fact jeff called a spade and spade and was honest in his reasoning behind it.  i respect honest people, whether i agree with them or not. 
Dark Lord I really can't see where you're coming from. Jeff specifically stated anyone was welcome to reopen another thread to discuss the same issues. Censorship is about silencing dissent or "objectionable" content, Jeff has not done that here.

Its a powerful charge to make and one that shouldn't be thrown about lightly, but too often is. I suggest you take a look at true examples of censorship in media historically, because no one is being silenced here.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:57:02 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

so there ya go

Dark Lord I really can't see where you're coming from. Jeff specifically stated anyone was welcome to reopen another thread to discuss the same issues. Censorship is about silencing dissent or "objectionable" content, Jeff has not done that here.

Its a powerful charge to make and one that shouldn't be thrown about lightly, but too often is. I suggest you take a look at true examples of censorship in media historically, because no one is being silenced here.

I mean fafnir... that thread was locked and silenced because Jeff just didn't like looking at it. It wasn't against the rules, it was just something he didn't like. Personally, I don't care one way or another if either of those threads is locked or not, but I think its pretty clear that Jeff exercised his power without any basis to be found in the rules. That's censorship. Thing is, he relented at the end of his post, recanted, and said it was okay to start a new thread. That's censorship, and censorship revoked.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
The sooner you guys figure out that forum communities are a dictatorship, the better for everyone here it would be. This "double guessing" of every little thing mods do is getting a bit tiring. Jeff can do whatever the hell he pleases. I mean, Jeff here has been too polite and respectful here under the circumstances... I think it's time to let the guys do their thing without all the "policing".

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:13:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The reason I posted in the "Lost its way" thread was that I felt that my post belonged there. Like I said, I put my issues to rest, so there you have it.

Let's move on. We've got bigger things to talk about. Like Banner 18, for instance.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:18:13 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The sooner you guys figure out that forum communities are a dictatorship, the better for everyone here it would be. This "double guessing" of every little thing mods do is getting a bit tiring. Jeff can do whatever the **** he pleases. I mean, Jeff here has been too polite and respectful here under the circumstances... I think it's time to let the guys do their thing without all the "policing".
I agree. I'm sorry but this thread is an overreaction in my opinion. Don't forget this is Jeff's website. At the end of the day, he can do whatever the hell he wants. If you don't like it, don't visit the website.

Now can we please all remember that this is just a blog and that the point of it is to have fun discussing the Celtics and the NBA, and certainly not obscure rules or who deserves what or any other soap opera-type issues that people have been making a stink about. Want the blog to return to its "glory days"? Then stop creating and posting in threads like this!

Sorry if I'm coming off as a jerk here but I've really been getting sick of this crap lately and you're all awesome but we really oughta turn the page here and stop with these types of threads.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:47:24 AM by Jeff »

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 10:00:14 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
One last word on this.  I admit to overmoderating in this one instance, but calling it "censorship" is a bit absurd and more than a little offensive.

Call it semantics if you like, but calling this censorship is like me calling you an anarchist.  Both are as ridiculous as they are offensive.

I appreciate the support of others on this thread, but it really isn't a dictatorship either.  All these terms are a bit melodramatic.

What it boils down to is this.  This is a blog that turned into a business.  I'm the CEO of this company and I call the shots (within reason).  I don't always make popular decisions but I'm willing to live with that for what I believe is the greater good of the blog.

Of course at the end of the day you can believe whatever you want.  I can't change that.  All I can do is the best I can.

Have a great holiday weekend.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
From my perspective, there's something contradictory between a thread complaining about the loss of community on here, and constantly seeing a thread saying "Celticsblog has lost its way" show up in the recent forum topics.  Of course, when Redz temporarily changed the title to something more neutral, people simply complained about that, too.

In the time since the thread was started, I'm not sure about any incidents that have occurred.  I know that I haven't received any PMs discussing any issues members would like to see remedied.  In other words, the thread was no longer serving a constructive purpose, and was instead become a place for members to discuss vague issues that occurred three years ago.  I'm not sure how a thread that serves the sole purpose of vaguely attacking the mod staff fosters the community that members claim they want.

I also think the censorship complaints are overstated, and maybe a little silly.  We have multiple threads here where members are allowed to discuss the direction of the site and the staff.  Rather than hide / delete those threads, the staff allows discussion, and usually candidly defends its actions.  If this was censorship, none of that would be happening. 

If Jeff occasionally wants to close a thread because in his opinion it has an inflammatory thread title and unfairly bashes the blog, I think that's absolutely his right.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just to throw this in, if the staff was censoring, we would just remove the threads and not just lock them.  Everything said (within the posting rules) is still on there.  Nobodies words were removed.  It is still there for anyone to read. 

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
We just need a trade, a signing or just training camp to start to end this kind of threads :P