Author Topic: why lock?  (Read 10770 times)

Re: why lock?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I appreciate the support of others on this thread, but it really isn't a dictatorship either.  All these terms are a bit melodramatic.

Yeah, I can see that... but the truth of the matter is that forum communities should behave something akin to it. Unless something unduly unfair occurs, mod actions shouldn't be second guessed or questioned... particularly publicly. It's simply what makes these types of communities work effectively with as little drama as possible; protecting the interest of the majority of the members. And we as the members of the community should understand this.

Constructive criticism is ok, but if it were me I would delete unnecessarily negative threads about the forum the instant they show up (and pm the member for a private conversation). It simply serves no purpose to further the interests of the forums. That's why I mention that you've been too polite and respectful in my opinion, and as such shouldn't be subjected to this double guessing I've seen lately. You guys allow enough good respectful feedback as it is.

And as such, when a mod/admin decides to put his foot down it should be respected and left at that as far as I'm concerned. Really, the double guessing and questioning of the mods serve no real purpose in forum communities. It takes a toll on the staff, and more importantly, it sours the experience of the members.

Again, this doesn't mean that feedback, ideas, and discussions about how to improve the site are not welcomed... simply there's a line that shouldn't be crossed by the members. Although it has negative connotations, forum communities simply work because of the dictatorship-like structure... and considering that for the most part the staff here is fair and respectful, being a dictatorship shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. This is no different than a business company... I doubt a president of a company would allow the amount of crap that forum staffs everywhere are subjected to.

I'll leave it at that.

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

I didn't really think it was such a big deal to call something censorship....

the entire mod staff is here to say something about that.

Jeez.

And I don't even care one way or another if those threads are locked......
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Redz after moderator related stress

Yup

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Redz after moderator related stress

funniest post all week by far

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
dead honest truth: it was painful to see that thread pop up every 12 hours

I don't believe that the title of the thread was consistent with how the majority of people on this site really feel and it was really hurtful to me to see it over and over again

so there ya go

I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is that I locked it because I wanted to

if you really really feel like it is a relevant topic, go ahead and create a new one

Truth in advertising. Yeah, I can handle that truth

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
I'm personally glad to not have to look at those two eyesores of topics anymore.

With that said, who's ready for a goal we can all agree on?

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 02:24:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Just to throw this in, if the staff was censoring, we would just remove the threads and not just lock them.  Everything said (within the posting rules) is still on there.  Nobodies words were removed.  It is still there for anyone to read. 

I've definitely had posts/threads removed that I've created... and to be honest it's better that way imo than just locking - when you lock it others can still look at it but can't respond, plus removing would reduce bandwith. But I said this in the other thread on improving CB (I think it was there) - if a post/thread is removed the poster should be notified to know why it was; that never happened so I'm still not sure
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Just to throw this in, if the staff was censoring, we would just remove the threads and not just lock them.  Everything said (within the posting rules) is still on there.  Nobodies words were removed.  It is still there for anyone to read. 

I've definitely had posts/threads removed that I've created... and to be honest it's better that way imo than just locking - when you lock it others can still look at it but can't respond, plus removing would reduce bandwith. But I said this in the other thread on improving CB (I think it was there) - if a post/thread is removed the poster should be notified to know why it was; that never happened so I'm still not sure

Since there are only two threads that you started that we "removed" (we do keep all threads we remove as a way to see if there are patterns with certain posters), feel free to PM me or one of the other staff members and I am sure we can figure out why it was move.  (just be patient as it may take a little time for us to respond or figure out why said topic was moved)

Also, a lot of threads are not removed, but either moved to another place on the forum or merged with an existing thread about the same or similar enough topic.  If you can't find one of the threads you started, check your posts (something you can do under your profile) and see if you can find where it went that way. 

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Actually I think we should be [dang] grateful that Jeff allows us to have forums where we can discuss Current Events, Music, Television, Other Sports and even criticisms and opinions on how to better improve the sight. I think that says a lot about the man, especially since he at one point found  the Current Events forums to be a detriment to the sight and banned them.

Like it or not this is still Jeff's site and he can do, pretty much whatever the **** he wants to do with it. He doesn't have to let us talk about anything besides the Celtics. He doesn't have to be lenient with some of the rules. He doesn't have to allow open criticisms. But he does and he's a better man for it.

So he didn't like two threads and got rid of them. That's not censorship that's executive privilege and he has that right to exercise it.  Censorship is a pretty strong word that denotes the purposeful changing and/or eliminating of information so as to withhold information or change opinions on a subject. That's not what he is doing. He's just exercising his privilege to get rid of 2 threads he didn't like and said to restart them if you had more to say on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:48:10 AM by Jeff »

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
The two people on here talking about censorship and not locking threads are the same two people who were ripping me left and right on the Lebron Lost Its All Over Thread, talking about how the thread should be locked and everything I wrote was stupid and egotistical grammar and all that nonsense. I guess it is OK for them to not want threads to be locked and not have censorship, but as soon as I post they will be the first ones to want my thread locked and my posts to be censored.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
lets not turn this into an open opportunity to take shots at other posters or this too will be locked
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 04:50:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
We just need a trade, a signing or just training camp to start to end this kind of threads :P

or the start of the real season.

jeff, you do a fabulous job with cb. thank you for keeping it very open and yet very civil.

and by the way, the mods do a great job as well. thank you all.

and how many days until the real season begins?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We just need a trade, a signing or just training camp to start to end this kind of threads :P

jeff, you do a fabulous job with cb. thank you for keeping it very open and yet very civil.

I'll second this...but yes, I do think all of this drama is a little 'funny' and only adds to the quality of the site. It shows it really is 'real'...

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I agree. TP4U. Well said.

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I agree. TP4U. Well said.

October 27th

26 days in october
24 more days in september

50 days to oppening night
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!