Author Topic: Should the NBA fine Trey Young for running back drawing foul move?  (Read 3379 times)

Re: Should the NBA fine Trey Young for running back drawing foul move?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 04:04:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The league shouldn't fine Young simply because he's exploiting a glitch in the matrix.

It should be called an offensive foul.   The problem is, the refs are not looking for "trickery" and trying to call a clean game

It's something the league needs to instill in the referees.  That if Young is backing into the defender and initiating the contact, then its an offensive foul.  Make it a point of emphasis.  If they start calling offensive fouls on Young, it should discourage the practice.

I hate watching players just playing to get fouled. it's some weak assed basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELQJBLK475U&ab_channel=NBA

;D
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
He's not "running back". It's impossible to be moving forward and jump backwards in one motion. he's simply bringing his forward momentum to a halt, or close to it, and letting the defender bump into him. Some of those on the video are fouls, some are not. But yes, if he does jump back into a player, called correctly, that's an offensive foul.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 05:59:01 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don稚 think a fine is appropriate, but I would like to see the rule officiated consistently. 

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 06:04:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The league shouldn't fine Young simply because he's exploiting a glitch in the matrix.

It should be called an offensive foul.   The problem is, the refs are not looking for "trickery" and trying to call a clean game

It's something the league needs to instill in the referees.  That if Young is backing into the defender and initiating the contact, then its an offensive foul.  Make it a point of emphasis.  If they start calling offensive fouls on Young, it should discourage the practice.

I hate watching players just playing to get fouled. it's some weak assed basketball.

;D

PP is making the shot in that clip. He's not just trying to get fouled.

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 07:48:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

;D

He makes the shot, but he also very obviously tries to get the guy off his feet and then lean into the guy.

Paul got to the line a lot over the course of his career.  Many times he did the same up fake and lean-in move even though he had no hope of making the shot once the guy entered his air space.  But that was the point.  Get the guy to jump out of position and then create contact that the ref had no choice but to call.

It was simple and effective and you can understand why opposing fans hated it.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 07:59:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

;D

Well...

In that clip

But he also loved getting guys up in the air and jump into them.  Even if they try to avoid contact

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 08:20:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Young found a way to create contact and get to the line. It's not like the move is new. It's happened throughout the history of the game. But for a fast guy that can get past defenders and stop on a dime to force the contact if the defender is following him, it can be weaponized, which is what Young has done.

Good for him!

That's off the charts BBIQ if you ask me. It's like Stevens using players, often that are moving, like a lineman, in football, for the running back to follow. It's legal and been in basketball a long time, but not utilized as a weapon like the Celtics do. It's within the rules innovation.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we値l see this erased somewhat. Like how the Durant (and now Embiid) rip-through is never a shooting foul
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)