Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238620 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1545 on: December 11, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The only thing I saw that he really needs to work on was that he helped too much at times. Other than that he was altering shots left and right. He just needs more experience on when to help. Needs playing time but you can't force it!

He does need work on when to help and when to stay home but teammates also need to cover when he helps off his man to stop penetration. Williams is a young big man with a ton of raw talent but he also needs to put in a ton of work if he wants to be a good NBA player. He's very exciting to watch already.

Stud. shhh keep it on the low!! ;D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #1546 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We all get too excited some times with some perfomances... rozier was great when needed but is no better than irwing.. brown is great for his age but needs to work hard for the next 2 3 years to become a jimmy butler type of player. He has the tools..
So williams has obviously the physical tools but is 21? He is no better overall than theis or even baynes now but has much higher ceiling.. centers grow slow... he needs playing time.. red clows and some nba this year is fine... we will see flashes not consistency... next year he could be a 12-15 minutes guy.. and in 2 years a 20 minutea guy.. i will be pleased wit that

« Reply #1547 on: December 11, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
RW demonstrating the ability to ably defend the best 5 and a top 3 player in the NBA bodes well for the Cs, to say the least. He has all the tools to be a great defensive player if he has the work ethic to learn the nuances of the offense and defense. Until then, Brad's going to lean on veterans that know the system and have his trust and Robert's going to have to get his reps in practice and in Maine.

If he continues to progress, this will be Baynes' last season on the team. Baynes' salary and the salary cap situation is going to be too dicey to dedicate X to Baynes with RW waiting in the wings.

« Reply #1548 on: December 11, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Holding Davis to sub-50% shooting and keeping him off the FT line is solid work for a rookie playing his first real meaningful minutes.

I mean, the kid looked like an NBA player.  That's good enough for me.  The rest of it -- ball denial, help defense, switches, etc. -- comes with experience and repetition.  I still feel confident that Williams can be Sam Dalembert, which would be a steal for where he was drafted.

Dalembert does not come to mind. Williams considerably more athletic. Dalembert better shooting touch.

I think his point is that if you could say "Williams will be like Dalembert" nearly every single Celtics fan would take outcome immediately.  Getting a functional NBA rotation player and possibly elite defender/rebounder/or shot blocker late in the 1st round is rare.

« Reply #1549 on: December 11, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Williams showed last night he deserves more playing time. It took 5 guys being injured to get him significant minutes. Then he shows up the best big man in the League. That tells me maybe somebody has been missing something about him. Or maybe his skills are not appreciated? We need to see more of him on the court.

« Reply #1550 on: December 11, 2018, 10:20:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Then he shows up the best big man in the League.

Seriously?

« Reply #1551 on: December 11, 2018, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
RW demonstrating the ability to ably defend the best 5 and a top 3 player in the NBA bodes well for the Cs, to say the least. He has all the tools to be a great defensive player if he has the work ethic to learn the nuances of the offense and defense. Until then, Brad's going to lean on veterans that know the system and have his trust and Robert's going to have to get his reps in practice and in Maine.

If he continues to progress, this will be Baynes' last season on the team. Baynes' salary and the salary cap situation is going to be too dicey to dedicate X to Baynes with RW waiting in the wings.
Baynes has a player option for next year. Theis is a free agent. Baynes is most likely back. Williams would replace Theis. The year after Baynes will probably be gone and Williams, if he develops, will most likely be the starting center.

« Reply #1552 on: December 11, 2018, 11:09:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Seriously?
I agree. He never showed up Davis. That is kinda nonsensical. And he didn't showed he deserved more playing time. It was one good game. What he showed is he is a hard worker and oozes potential, but is no way better than Baynes or Theis currently. What it showed is Williams could be special eventually. Have patience. Williams will have his time. Allow Steven's to develop him and allow Steven's to make a run at the title this year with better vets that he trusts

« Reply #1553 on: December 11, 2018, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Seriously?

The American League? His slugging numbers are off the charts, but his WAR leaves a lot to be desired.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1554 on: December 12, 2018, 01:51:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Seriously?

Reminds me of the time that Mavs fans were so excited because young Ryan Hollins blocked Tim Duncan.

I like Williams, I think he played well, and it looks like he isnt just an athletic big, he has skills too. He might end up as our starting C. But it was 1 game and he also made mistakes.

« Reply #1555 on: December 12, 2018, 02:46:40 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Seriously?

Reminds me of the time that Mavs fans were so excited because young Ryan Hollins blocked Tim Duncan.

I like Williams, I think he played well, and it looks like he isnt just an athletic big, he has skills too. He might end up as our starting C. But it was 1 game and he also made mistakes.
Tell me whoelse blocked Anthony Davis's hook and fallaway jumper in one game?

« Reply #1556 on: December 12, 2018, 04:27:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
MCW : 22 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds, and 9 steals in NBA debut .... Who else has done that ?

« Reply #1557 on: December 12, 2018, 05:41:53 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Seriously?

Tell me whoelse blocked Anthony Davis's hook and fallaway jumper in one game?

One time Conner Henry dunked on Dr. J and Barkley. Tell me who else did that?

« Reply #1558 on: December 12, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Finally able to watch the highlights of Rob - some of these are hilariously bad contests, but his ridiculous long arms help him so much.

« Reply #1559 on: December 12, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree. He never showed up Davis. That is kinda nonsensical. And he didn't showed he deserved more playing time. It was one good game. What he showed is he is a hard worker and oozes potential, but is no way better than Baynes or Theis currently.

Davis shot 41% from the field and got two shots blocked by the rook.   You can bet he was aware of him to some degree and Davis shot over 50% with Theis on him.   Your simply not going to stop a superstar like Davis but Williams was more effective on defense against him than Theis.   The kid is a better rebounder than Theis or Baynes but we all know he is raw and needs tons of work.

Davis said this about the kid after game

"Yeah, I was surprised. I thought he was going to go for the pump fake, and he didn’t. I just tried to shoot over. He’s good. He’s talented. A good defensive player."

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/10/anthony-davis-talks-rookie-robert-williams-game-following-loss/

So he was willing to acknowledge the shock of getting blocked.

Williams deserves more playing time but he is not ready for all prime time.  I think he gives us a luxury to rest Horford and Baynes.   Theis should start.   Get those guys healed.   But Robert Williams is a legit NBA player, with talent.

He does lack shooting skills, and experience and is raw.   I hope we keep him because he has so much potential for growth and seems to be a hard worker thus far.  The best part of the game was seeing Al's proud look when Williams was doing well on the court.