Author Topic: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?  (Read 108021 times)

Re: Do posters pay more attention to volume posters?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have almost 5,000 posts and no one ever listens to me.  ;D

At least not about Wesley Matthews.

See, comments like this is about shared knowledge from threads past.  It is just one of the many running jokes and pokes that go on here. 

But if you are new, you have no clue what it means.  If you want to, ask. 

Every poster here started out as a low post member. 

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm sure most mods will disagree because they never agree with me when I point out the gap between mods and ordinary posters... but it does exist.

There's a difference between saying that mods are looked like differently, and saying that they hang together in a clique and abuse their power.

Of course some people see mods differently.  We stand out, because we have a title.  Similarly, non-mod staff members stand out, because they have a title.  Each of these members has been singled out by Jeff to play a role on the site, so of course some people are going to look at their opinion through a different lens.  Sometimes, that lens is one of increased respect.  Other times, that lens is one jaundiced by one's natural anti-authority streak.

The talks about staff cliques, mod bias, abuse of power, etc., that we've already seen in this thread are ridiculous.  People are long on allegations, and short on specifics, as always seems to be the case.  I doubt there's a message board anywhere that doesn't have such allegations; the difference is that on CelticsBlog, we actually try to address the concerns of the members, rather than just deleting the (often petty) complaints.

Back to the original topic:  if people feel like they're not getting enough attention, just keep posting.  Earn some credibility with other members, which is a big part of it.  Show people that you know that you know what you're talking about, and eventually, they'll catch on and will interact more. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Are people's feelings actually hurt by who does or doesn't quote them or whether or not someone quotes them?  Is it supposed to be an ego boost or something? Who cares?

I could absolutely careless who is responding to my items or whether or not my statements are getting quoted.  

Sorry to be blunt but that's my feelings.
I don't get that from the OP at all (that he is complaining).  I think it's just an observation, one that I think is at least partially correct.

I am on many different forums for various different topics, and this one has a distinct under-class of posters that gets a lot of Internet Crickets<tm>.  Not that there's anything wrong with that... we who are not Quad-Posters will generally discuss amongst ourselves anyway.
Considering it was posted in a thread where no one had quoted his post, but had responded to several "high volume" posters, I think it had the air of a complaint to it. That's how I read it.

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Also, I think that posters that "know" each other sometimes tend to "talk" a bit too much in the threads but then again, PMs also take up a lot of time.

Yeah, this does happen quite a bit. Most of it though is in teh Off Topic forums.

Are people's feelings actually hurt by who does or doesn't quote them or whether or not someone quotes them?  Is it supposed to be an ego boost or something? Who cares?

I could absolutely careless who is responding to my items or whether or not my statements are getting quoted.  

I don't get that from the OP at all (that he is complaining).  I think it's just an observation, one that I think is at least partially correct.

I am on many different forums for various different topics, and this one has a distinct under-class of posters that gets a lot of Internet Crickets<tm>.  Not that there's anything wrong with that... we who are not Quad-Posters will generally discuss amongst ourselves anyway.

I don't think there is much evidence for that assumption..at least from my own time spent here.

While new posters sometimes do go unanswered, a lot of times its because what they're posting is actually redundant (to use the OP's wording), or not really insightful to the point where it merits immediate comment.

After you've been around a while, you get to understand what does and does not get responses, and so on. For example, when I was first here, I'd start topics about the dumbest stuff that I thought was insightful, just because I wasn't used to conversing with people who cared about the Celtics as much as I do. It is one thing to discuss Al Jefferson's low post moves with a hockey fan..you might seem pretty knowledgeable..but try discussing it with a 05-06 Celtics fan.

That all said, I'm sure that people who are better known get more responses..if only because when you respond to them, you're responding to not only their post, but their posting history as well...you can guide an argument or anticipate what the assumptions are in the debate. It makes the back and forths much more interesting than debating with someone who you've never read before, IMO.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2011, 03:56:25 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

I agree with this point. I don't think the OP was complaining, just something he noticed and a few people echoed his opinion. It didn't seem like anyone was losing sleep over it, just an observation. And clearly there has to be some level of validity to it if several people agree.

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Have to agree with Dons here. Are people really going to get bent out of shape because if you are a new or low quantity poster your posts aren't being responded to as much as a person who posts on the blog 10-20 times a day? Really?!?!?!?!

I mean, sorry, but simply through shear numbers the people who post more are more apt to come up with a post that will ignite something in someone to create a response. Not everybody hits a homerun with every post and warrants a response to that post and if you aren't adding something new or interesting at a time where a thread is getting traffic, chances are your post isn't going to be responded to.

Celticsblog is not a community to measure your self worth from, even though, apparently there are some that do. Celticsblog is a community to air one's voice and be heard. Does it matter if your voice is responded to or if you have one star or 33 stars or 1 Tommy Point or 5000? Does it really make that big a difference in your life because if it does, my suggestion is to get off the computer and get out more.

This is Nick. See Nick scorn. Scorn, Nick, Scorn.  :P

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There's probably some truth to it, frequent posters tend to be more familiar with one another, and have a better sense of the other person's stances from earlier discussions.  Plus, posters without stars or sigs/avatars are much more visually sparse and take up less screen space - it's just easier for the eye to slide past them. 

But when it comes to ideas about deliberate favoritism/persecution/general Internet drama, I've always felt those kinds of accusations say more about the people making them than the people they're directed toward.  Some posters tend to be very blunt and harsh in responding to opinions they disagree with pretty much across the board.  I've seen posters of all sorts attack and impugn mods, and I've seen mods do the same to all kinds of posters too.  It's an individual difference, not a "how many stars ya got" difference. 

If you find that people are frequently sharply criticizing what you say, instead of deciding a bunch of people you've never met are singling you out to be ostracized, consider that maybe it's just that your opinions seem foolish or poorly considered to a lot of people.*

*This isn't directed to anybody specific, just a general opinion of mine.

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I agree with this point. I don't think the OP was complaining, just something he noticed and a few people echoed his opinion.

This is one of those "inside knowledge" things, but I'm pretty sure it was a complaint.  Of course, whether it's a complaint or a general observation, we allow people to discuss issues, so have at it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I can't tell any posters apart from each other.  It always weirds me out when someone remembers something I once said in a previous thread.  

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I can't tell any posters apart from each other.  It always weirds me out when someone remembers something I once said in a previous thread.  

Ha.  You've carved out your own bit of notoriety in these parts.  We should give you a title, too.  "Clown Prince of the CB Draft"?

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I agree with this point. I don't think the OP was complaining, just something he noticed and a few people echoed his opinion.

This is one of those "inside knowledge" things, but I'm pretty sure it was a complaint.  Of course, whether it's a complaint or a general observation, we allow people to discuss issues, so have at it.

Regardless of the case, perhaps there is some validity to it. The only people with less than a thousand posts seemed to agree with the suggestion.

I think it happens for some pretty logical reasons, and I'd encourage these posters to just keep posting. It's kind of like prison - if you just get one good zing out there on your first posts you'll forever command everyoens respect.

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have to agree with Dons here. Are people really going to get bent out of shape because if you are a new or low quantity poster your posts aren't being responded to as much as a person who posts on the blog 10-20 times a day? Really?!?!?!?!

I mean, sorry, but simply through shear numbers the people who post more are more apt to come up with a post that will ignite something in someone to create a response. Not everybody hits a homerun with every post and warrants a response to that post and if you aren't adding something new or interesting at a time where a thread is getting traffic, chances are your post isn't going to be responded to.

Celticsblog is not a community to measure your self worth from, even though, apparently there are some that do. Celticsblog is a community to air one's voice and be heard. Does it matter if your voice is responded to or if you have one star or 33 stars or 1 Tommy Point or 5000? Does it really make that big a difference in your life because if it does, my suggestion is to get off the computer and get out more.

This is Nick. See Nick scorn. Scorn, Nick, Scorn.  :P
LOL

Keep it up KC and I'm going to personally make sure that I draft Wesley Matthews in every draft we have on this blog and then I'm going to photoshop him in a Boxers uniform and make it my avatar.

****.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think it happens for some pretty logical reasons, and I'd encourage these posters to just keep posting. It's kind of like prison - if you just get one good zing out there on your first posts you'll forever command everyoens respect.

And if you show any hint of fear, Hobbsy will shiv you behind the Super Off-Topic Thread.  :)

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think its only natural to be drawn to posters that have more bling in their posts, stars, banners tp's etc. (Which I know was already said but i forget who said it so kudos to you)

Another issue is when i jump in on a thread like this several pages down the line, try to read the whole thing to get grounded in the conversation and then want to reply, im not going to go back to the first page to quote somebody, im just going to reply.

But anyways, as people have said, everybody here starts out with a low post number.  Those that have the bling have earned it.  And when you become more familiar with people its only human nature to have conversations with people that you know.

I will say that when i see somebody has a between 1-100 posts I usually don't quote them, not because i don't care what they said, but often time there isnt any point because i don't know when they will be back on to look at my response.

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

And if you show any hint of fear, Hobbsy will shiv you behind the Super Off-Topic Thread.  :)

Roy would never do that. He's beyond getting his hands dirty anymore.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner